Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Strange looking Lincoln Prez Proof

This was in one of the proof sets I got yesterday. It has these odd looking concentric circles. The reverse looks normal. Any idea what this is or what caused it?

Comments

• Options
    image I like it, no idea how it happened.

• Options
    looks like something with the dies.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Cool coin, looks like it was made to look that way from the Mint?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does the reverse look like? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Possibly something occurred during the galvano transfer?
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    We have a few of them as well
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I'd say the mint polished the dies a bit too hard...

-Paul
  • Options
    hypnotized
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    looks like some kind of orange peel effect,pretty cool.
    figglehorn
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    "target toning"

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the die is galled. Either it heated up very hot or it was subjected to very high stresses (forces). Either way, it happened wile it was rotating. perhaps the polishing tip came off the polishing machine and the die was spun against the mandrel. --Jerry
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are (appear to be) lathe marks from a specific machining process during the die making process at the US Mint.

I recently read an article regarding these and a Jefferson Nickel but for the life of me cannot find it! image

Although not a proof coin there is a similar thread over on the CONECA Die Variety Forum.

Since more than one has shown up, you can bet that an article will appear in another month or so at one of the big magazines explaining it.

In the mean time, I'll keep looking.

NOTE: DUE TO revealed events it has been shown that its the Plastic Holder which is showing these lines. I edited my post to add (appear to be) vs a positive "Those are". Lathe marks are a real error which can occur.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I found an article on the CONECA home page referencing a business strike 1996-D Lincoln cent.

Hubs/Dies are created from steel rods which are cut and then machined so that the end receiving the impression of the coin is cut with a slight conical surface.
    This is where the lathe comes into play and what produces these lines.

I would think that finding them on a Proof Coin much less a Lincoln Proof would be unusual.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Any way you look at it it's image....I like it ...image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abe in the Twighlight Zone Variety.

Extremely cool.

• Options
    So would this be considered a mint error - struck with unfinished dies?
  • Options

<< <i>Abe in the Twighlight Zone Variety.

Extremely cool.

image >>

Abe of the Looney toons variety maybe ?

• Options
    Cool, received 10 sets today. Found one out of 10.

Not as evident as the one pictured, but glad to find one. image

• Options

If one looks long enough, his tie does start to spin. image

Same coin moved about 1/4 inch for the light.

• Options
    I tried to take pic's of ours but it is not easy!!!! I'll try again a bit later
  • Options
    How about a weak eyes Lincoln.

From the same box of ten sets.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it.

can't wait to see if it is attributed.

now I'm sad that I cancelled my order so I could combine it with others to save on shipping...

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Ok, here we go with our pic's - Sorry for the lighting, couldn't seem to capture any other way

Also found one of these

Franklin Pierce

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About ten years ago I found one in roll searching.There very hard to photograph/or scan.
  • Options
    Much harder to see but found a Millard Fillmore with the same rings.

• Options
    Sounds like it's spreading through out the proof set!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>What does the reverse look like? Cheers, RickO >>

The reverse looks normal on my coin.

Thanks for the links and the explanation Lee!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What does the reverse look like? Cheers, RickO >>

The reverse looks normal on my coin.

Thanks for the links and the explanation Lee! >>

Ditto.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Did anyone take the coin out of the plastic?

I just received my 12 sets and found all 4 of them looking this way.
    One of the lincolns looked worse so I removed it from the plastic and will put in my Dansco.
    It was clean. the markings I think are on the plastic.

Could someone verify thier coins?

Rookie Joe
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    I've never seen anything like it. The concentric rings look too irregular to be concentric lathe marks. Perhaps a screw-up during polishing?
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Quality control would never allow a coin die in this condition to be installed into a proof coining press. This anomaly must be occurring during the striking procedure, what that is, I'm not quite sure. "Chatter" comes to mind.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Here is a pic of the capsule: the best that I could take

What do you think?

The concentric circles look the same.

Joe

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Quality control would never allow a coin die in this condition to be installed into a proof coining press. This anomaly must be occurring during the striking procedure, what that is, I'm not quite sure. "Chatter" comes to mind. >>

Exactly how does "quality control" work? --Jerry
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Quality control would never allow a coin die in this condition to be installed into a proof coining press. This anomaly must be occurring during the striking procedure, what that is, I'm not quite sure. "Chatter" comes to mind. >>

Exactly how does "quality control" work? --Jerry >>

With the Mint..."randomly"

Looks like the blister pack is the culprit.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Exactly how does "quality control" work? --Jerry >>

With the Mint..."randomly"

Looks like the blister pack is the culprit. >>

well horse on me! image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Dang, "Buy the coin, not the plastic". image

• Options
    Wow! I guess it is the plastic. It's strange how the circles are only visible in the fields though.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dang, "Buy the coin, not the plastic". image >>

Becky
  • Options
    OOPS!!!!image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OOPS!!!!image >>

ooops is right.

I was happy to receive mine and find some like this.

It is strange that the rings appear over the fields.

These sets seem to have fewer spots than last year, however there are more marks on them.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Pretty cool though!
    Save $$$ on many purchases to include EBAY and EBay Stores.

Big Crumbs Link

Mr Rebates Link

EBates Link

Chucknra@yahoo.com
  • Options
    even though its the plastic, maybe Abe is trying to warn us image
  • Options

<< <i>Wow! I guess it is the plastic. It's strange how the circles are only visible in the fields though. >>

image....I guess we have a lot to learn....image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Although they look like it, I do not think those lines could have happened during the lathing process -

The lathes are used to reduce a large plaster sculpted design to a smaller, steel copy...

For one thing, the size of the grooves in the fields of that coin are too big to be consistent with the detail present in the rest of the devices.

Secondly, the end result of the reduction process is a 'positive' design - this becomes a 'master' that is then pressed into other pieces of steel to create the actual dies used for coining. It is impossible to imagine a mistake like that happening during the lathing process being unnoticed when the dies were made, let alone having such dies go on to make coins.

My best guess is that whatever caused this happened while preparing an individual die.

One possibility, is that lasers were used to render the dies for this issue - the Mint does have this technology, and they do utilize it on occasion, such as on with those wildlife medals that came out around 2004. To my mind, it is conceivable that a laser might have went out of calibration and created the look you are seeing.
  • Options

<< <i>Although they look like it, I do not think those lines could have happened during the lathing process -

The lathes are used to reduce a large plaster sculpted design to a smaller, steel copy...

For one thing, the size of the grooves in the fields of that coin are too big to be consistent with the detail present in the rest of the devices.

Secondly, the end result of the reduction process is a 'positive' design - this becomes a 'master' that is then pressed into other pieces of steel to create the actual dies used for coining. It is impossible to imagine a mistake like that happening during the lathing process being unnoticed when the dies were made, let alone having such dies go on to make coins.

My best guess is that whatever caused this happened while preparing an individual die.

One possibility, is that lasers were used to render the dies for this issue - the Mint does have this technology, and they do utilize it on occasion, such as on with those wildlife medals that came out around 2004. To my mind, it is conceivable that a laser might have went out of calibration and created the look you are seeing. >>

Read the thread.........................the lines are from the cheap plastic holders the US Mint is buying from Chi..............well.........somewhere.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I know that these lines have been identified as a problem with the holders, but I wanted to share what lathe lines look like on a proof coin. This one is an Accented Hair Kennedy in an ANACS slab:

Note that the lines only show up on the wings whereas evrything else seems to be just fine.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This might explain it:

Lincoln
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    The more times I look at that Lincoln............

the more I like the background.

I wonder why the US Mint doesn't consider soemthing like this?

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump for interesting topic. I wish more pictures had survived. What a wild optical illusion!?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This created quite a stir back nine years ago.... and it all turned out to be a 'tempest in a tea pot'....Too bad the pictures have, for the most part, been lost. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file