Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

SLQ 1918D and 1919 - GRADE OPINION please + Added an 1949 S Franklin

Hi there!

Got this two quarters from a local dealer for 20$ and would really appreciate your opinion on grade. Can 1919 be a VF-20? I'll leave it to you.

THANK YOU.
Rok

Comments

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say the 19 is XF and the 18 is VF.Seems like a pretty good deal for $20
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    The 1919 is not even close to a VF20, that's more like an XF45.

The 1918-D is an XF40.. net graded a bit due to some hits.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    very nice for $20
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    WOW thank you guys - an XF for 19 and maybe even for 18. Thats even better than I hoped - so this buy was a little steal after all. image

Thanks again!

Rok
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    You did well here. Yhe 1919 is a strong EF and the 1918-D is an EF40 with some scratches. image A bit OT here but I see we have a Kings fan, Me too! Lets hope we kick the you know what out of the Red Wings in a few hoursimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

I'm not going to attempt a grade for either, but
    I think they're both nice looking circulated SLQ's.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 19P alone bids $65 in XF....if he has any more coins for sale, RUN, don't walk back down to the store!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 19P alone bids $65 in XF....if he has any more coins for sale, RUN, don't walk back down to the store! >>

I heard the store is just outside of Melbourne, Florida.

imageimage...Gotcha, Greg
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Both look technical XF but I don't see any luster and the slight sheen makes me think both were rather heavily cleaned (more than just dipped) but they have retoned. I don't know if you meant $20 for the pair or $20 each, but either way is still a very good deal.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Both look technical XF but I don't see any luster and the slight sheen makes me think both were rather heavily cleaned (more than just dipped) but they have retoned. I don't know if you meant $20 for the pair or $20 each, but either way is still a very good deal. >>

Good observation Frank. There is a strong possibility that the coins were cleaned, but still, for those prices, you can't go wrong.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the kind words.

<< The 19P alone bids $65 in XF....if he has any more coins for sale, RUN, don't walk back down to the store! >>
    I picked one 1949 S Franklin and a nice 1863 8 Mexican Reales - and yes he did have some more US coins (some Morgans and other silver coins) - so I will have to go back to examine those to.

<< Both look technical XF but I don't see any luster and the slight sheen makes me think both were rather heavily cleaned (more than just dipped) but they have retoned. I don't know if you meant $20 for the pair or $20 each, but either way is still a very good deal. >>

I mean 7 euros per coin - t. i. approx. 10 dollars per coin. They could been cleaned but not by the guy. This shop is actually an Antique shop in a place where I have my Doctor. So I steped in and ask if he maybe have some coins (actually I was looking for some older Yugoslavian coins) - and he showed me an old fall-apart Album full of world (silver only) coins, that he bought from an old collector - by silver weight. If they were cleaned - that must happened earlier. He really dont have much knowledge in coins, so my first feeling was he was selling those coins to my be size imageimage Larger were simply more expensive (I payed 10 Euros (t. i. 14 Dollars) for 1949 S Franklin - and this one I probably overpaid.
    Well cant wait to go back there.

<< <i> A bit OT here but I see we have a Kings fan, Me too! Lets hope we kick the you know what out of the Red Wings in a few hoursimage >>

Moldnut - King fan I am??? image 100% - Anze is from Slovenia and I dont miss a game. 9 in a row is a goal image

Bye, Rok
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1919 is not even close to a VF20, that's more like an XF45.

The 1918-D is an XF40.. net graded a bit due to some hits. >>

I agree. Here's a slabbed XF40 for comparison.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The 1919 is not even close to a VF20, that's more like an XF45.

The 1918-D is an XF40.. net graded a bit due to some hits. >>

I agree. Here's a slabbed XF40 for comparison.
    Lance.

imageimage >>

Lance,

Yeah but be careful using a 27-S as an example.. those suckers were stuck using like 50 lbs of pressure I think. 19-Ps come really well struck.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would grade the 1919 as an EF-40 with a possible reservation of cleaning. I'm not sure about the possible cleaning problem from the photo.

I would give the 1918-D a sharpness grade of VF-30 LESS 10 points for the roughness in the right obverse field and the scratches on the eagle on the reverse. Net grade VF-20. I think that one could end up in a "genuine" holder.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>I would grade the 1919 as an EF-40 with a possible reservation of cleaning. I'm not sure about the possible cleaning problem from the photo.

I would give the 1918-D a sharpness grade of VF-30 LESS 10 points for the roughness in the right obverse field and the scratches on the eagle on the reverse. Net grade VF-20. I think that one could end up in a "genuine" holder. >>

I agree - I would like to be more conservative on those coins too.

But since you all have been so generous with me - can I ask for your opinion on this 1949 S Franklin also? Would really appreciate it. Thanks again
    (Could there be something more than EF 40 or not even so much??)

Rok

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would give the 1949-S Franklin an AU-55 sharpness grade, but it has some "carbon" spots that would knock it down to an AU-50. Those spots might make it hard to get AU money for the coin. They might come up with some dip applied to them, but I've seen operations like that work better on Mint State coins with uniformly bright surfaces than on ciruclated coins that have dulled surfaces.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Thanx BillJones!
    Rok
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Bill Jones
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    XF 45 on the Franklin
  • Options
    I think that long scratch on the 1918d that runs from Liberty's hip to the 1 in the date will put that coin in a genuine holder.
    molon labe
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I have to agree with frank, The surface of both coins shows more then just dipping.

However, since the price seems very good, you did OK overall.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭

<< <i>I have to agree with frank, The surface of both coins shows more then just dipping.

However, since the price seems very good, you did OK overall.image >>

What a weird bump... 17 months later ??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file