Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

(Set-up detail added) For Xmas I got a copy stand and a 100mm macro lens

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
...I can't stop taking pix. Still have lots to learn but wow, what a difference a decent set-up makes.
Lance.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Well that's a pretty darn good photo. Neat token too.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    You must have been a very good boy. Congrats and enjoy. We want to see lots more good pics. Now it's time to play with the lighting--a never-ending job although many forum members have mastered it much better than I. --Jerry
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. I hope the big new announcement is that PCGS will start grading tokens. I have about 20 that I'm holding off on sending to NGC until the announcement is made.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mind if I ask what copy stand you are using? I've been in the market for one and would love to hear of a good one that is working for other people.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job Lance. Now that's what I call a couple of great Xmas gifts.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, now the sickness takes it's hold...nice pic. I look forward to many more. As a service to all, describe your set-up.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    looking good.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are one lucky guy Lance. Those items are on my wish list. In about 2 hours I'll be leaving the frozen north for Orlando, Fl and later this week I'll be at the FUN Show. So I guess my money will be going towards some new coins instead. I can live with that. Great pics by the way!! image
  • Options
    Yes, I feel lucky! I made a Christmas list months ago and my wife did the rest. She went overboard, as usual.

Here are a couple of pictures of the set-up. I was in a hurry to begin using it so I haven't sorted out a more permanent location, tidy wiring, etc. I just set it up behind my desk so I could shoot and upload quickly.

I hope I'm not alone when I say I shoot 20 pictures, on average, before I'm okay with a pair. Sometimes I get very lucky with the first few, like the 1909 Lincoln below. I spent a good hour trying to get nice photos of a '12-D and finally "settled". This is where the learning comes in. Lots of trial and error.

I bought Mark Goodman's wonderful book on coin photography a while back (it's autographed!) and have read it twice and referred to it dozens of times. In spite of all the great information in Mark's book -- and the terrific photos which, of course, are expected but a delight nonetheless, I still get my butt kicked now and then.

The set-up is:

Copy stand: Beseler CS-14 (bought from a NYC photo shop)
    Camera: Sony a300 DSLR (2008 Xmas present...do you see a pattern?)
    Lens: Sony 2.8f/100mm macro
    Lighting: optional Beseler copy stand lights, Halogena 60w. screw-in halogen bulbs, cheapo goose neck desklamps w. incandescent 75w bulbs
    Shutter control: remote, wired
    AC adapter/charger: remote, wired

The remote shutter and AC adapter are nice to have (lower right in photos). When shutter speed is really slow, as can happen, the remote shutter is essential. Swapping batteries for a fresh one is a chore and time consuming. The other cable, lower left, is for uploading via USB.

I was very happy with the Halogena bulbs. There's another thread on it. But I am now cautious about recommending them. They are very fragile and two of the four I bought blew...one in two days, the other a couple of weeks later. The lamp was moderately knocked each time so I'm to blame. But other bulbs would not have complained.

The extra goose neck lamps are there for special circumstances. Sometimes I use one, rarely both. I haven't had much luck with OTT lights but I know others like them. As Jerry pointed out above, it's all about lighting. Much of the set-up is constant. Lighting is never. I fuss with it endlessly.
    Lance.

imageimage

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    thank you very much for posting the setup! I have the SLR and am awaiting my 90mm macro.. Looking into the stand now image

Mark's book JUST ARRIVED so Im eagerly awaiting a few minutes to flip through it!

Beautiful pics, it is amazing what you can take when you have the right equipment and knowledge!
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lance, Nice set-up and very nice pics. Keep 'em coming. The only thing I do different is use an UBS card reader.
    I dislike wires and do anything to avoid them. Mike
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not big on wires either but I also don't like having to eject batteries or memory cards and swap stuff. A simple USB plug-in is pretty fast and simple.

Great photo of a '15 Lincoln, Michael. Love it!
    Lance.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    That setup is on the floor, isn't it? I certainly hope you have set it up somewhere more accessible when you use it!

I have a pretty sweet setup (camera + stand) and I keep it on an end table. A pretty good height for working.

I can see how it would take 20 pictures to dial in to a coin that you are unfamiliar with. But with practice, you will find yourself converging on the proper lighting more quickly.

Practice is key to learning the mechanics of the equipment. You may find that you have too much gear and can eliminate some. Some things are easier to use than others; some gizmos really save time and some really waste it.
    Feedback is key to improvement. Criticize your own work; propose how you can improve; try it out; evaluate whether the results are better, worse or just different.
    Pixel peep on a computer screen in between shots so that you can get a good close look at what is going on at the highest resolutions.

You probably already know this; i'm just restating the obvious.

Thanks for the advice about the Halogena bulbs. I think I will pass; you saved me money.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Nice work so far. image Waiting on my Sigma 180mm to arrive in a couple days. image I've been without a lens for about a month now and having serious withdrawl. image

<< <i>I shoot 20 pictures, on average, before I'm okay with a pair. >>

Only 20, you're doing much better than I.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file