Quick Links:   Collectors Corner | PCGS | PSA | PSE | PSA/DNA | CU | Coinflation

Navigation:

FORUMS > U.S. COIN FORUM [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: Degree in Numismatics...with proposal and courses.
Created On Sunday January 03, 2010 5:07 PM
Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]

jessecarlk
Veteran

Sunday January 03, 2010 5:07 PM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

I am a Junior in college working towards a bachelor's degree in Numismatics. Am I only the 2nd person to do this?

I added most of the proposal that I had to give the school which includes courses. Also, which it states in the proposal, I am a dual-major concurrently working towards a bachelor's in History. Therefore, I didn't need to clog up my Numismatics degree only with history classes and was able to keep it open for other areas (economics, art, etc.). I have plans for three different independent studies, one of which I will design and produce medals, as I am also an artist but have not worked in this medium before. In addition to the courses listed, I have completed all of the general studies courses when I completed my Associate's degrees in History and Performing Arts. Keep in mind that after general courses are taken, there are not a lot of classes needed to graduate and therefore one can not add everything. So if I want to study many different areas, I could not take a multitude of classes in any subject. Also that I had to follow curriculum guidelines when designed the degree, hence the kind of odd classes here and there. As for chemistry and sciences, the classes that would pertain to numismatics had many prerequisites in order to take them. One would have to major in the subject to take those classes. The ANA courses will facilitate the actual learning about coins which would equate to 2 or 3 college courses. After this degree, I plan to continue my studies in graduate school where numismatics would be the prime area.

Rationale:
I have expressed great interest in the field of Numismatics since the age of seven, and grows nothing but stronger as the years continue to pass. Numismatics defines as the science and study of coins, medals, and token. Through the many different avenues and opportunities that exist in this field, I have already been able to indulge myself in several, including writing/research, collecting/trading, and buying/selling, Upon learning of the LIBA program offered through the Richard Stockton College, I thrilled at the prospect of the opportunity to take part in this program that could not only benefit my personal interests, but also the entire field of numismatics. Completion of the program would award me the second degree in the entire field.
Educationally, my goals comprise of better familiarizing myself with the different disciplines that make up the field of numismatics. This Bachelor’s degree in Numismatics will give me stronger backgrounds in fields which often go unheeded by other numismatists. These fields include, but not limited to, world history, political science, the theories of economics, and art. The role of numismatics in society will act as the focus for this program. To see how people react to money and how those reactions effect and reflect things about society simultaneously. With this Bachelor’s degree in numismatics, I would offer more diverse services to those who seek guidance when dealing with their objects of numismatic value; while also bringing the sense of legitimacy to this underrated field.
To prepare myself for graduate school remains the primary goal for this Bachelor’s degree. There, I can further my educational goals. Having this Bachelor’s in Numismatics will allow me to differentiate myself, not only to the vast amount of companies in the numismatic industry, but also to the many different graduate schools that look for individuality as well as commitments to one’s field in their prospective students.
Resources:
The Richard Stockton College has an ample amount of courses that will help me to familiarize myself with the fields of history, economics, political science, art, and business, all very important subjects to any dedicated numismatist. In addition to the courses offered at the Richard Stockton College, the American Numismatic Association, the foremost numismatic organization offers summer seminars taught by the world’s leading numismatists. The program could include these intensive seminars and taken for credit as an independent study, giving me the necessary education specifically in coins, tokens, and medals while concurrently learning the broader aspects of numismatics through the courses offered at the Richard Stockton College.
Evaluation:
When I reach the ends of my studies, one may determine the completion of the requirements and academic goals by looking at final grades in all of the classes chosen for the program. Assessment of the senior thesis project on one subject not yet determined may also act as determination.
Courses:
I have broken up the proposed course list for this major into four categories: (1) “Historics,” (2) “Political Science,” (3) “Economics,” (4) “Art,” (5) “Off Campus Credits,” and (6) “At Some Distance Courses.” Please note: This list includes classes that will count solely towards my bachelor’s degree in history, as well as those that will count towards both. The list also includes classes in parenthesis that transferred from the Atlantic Cape Community College.

HISTORY:
HIST 3605—SLAVERY AND EMANICIPATION—To learn about how and why anyone could consider people part of their economy, as well as how history freed the slaves from this social status.
HIST 2331—African American History since 1865—As follow up to the previous course, how the same group of people assimilated into the same society that used them as part of their economy.
HIST 3103—1930S AMERICA—To learn about when little to no money existed in the economy and how society survived and overcame this era.
GSS 3603—AMERICAN LABOR MOVEMENT—To learn about worker’s organizations to protect themselves and their money.
HIST 2128—ATLANTIC HISTORY—To learn the history of the Atlantic region. (This course will only going towards the History degree but the information of the course relates to numismatics).
HIST 2146—INDIAN OCEAN HISTORY—To learn the history of the Indian Ocean region. (This course will only going towards the History degree but the information of the course relates to numismatics).
HIST 2103—MEDITERRANEAN HISTORY—To learn the history of the Mediterranean region. (This course will only going towards the History degree but the information of the course relates to numismatics).
HIST 2120—EUROPE: 1400 TO 1815—To learn the history of Europe. (This course will only going towards the History degree but the information of the course relates to numismatics).
HIST 2121—EUROPE: 1815 TO PRESENT—As follow up to the previous course, learn the history of modern Europe. (This course will only going towards the History degree but the information of the course relates to numismatics).
Independent Study—How the social relationships between US and Asia in the 17th–20th centuries, through numismatics.
(HIST 0000—Heritage of the Western World I)
(HIST 0000—Heritage of the Western World II)
(HIST 0000—US History I)
(HIST 0000—US History II)

POLITICAL SCIENCE:
GSS 3168—Business, Government, and Society (V)—To learn how business and people attempt to receive money influence our government’s policies.
POLS 2222—President and Congress (H) (W2)—To learn the relationship between the two entities responsible for the creation of America’s numismatic objects.
Independent Study—How certain political influences of the 19th century affected both numismatics and society.
(POLS 2100—Intro to American Politics)
(POLS 2101—Intro to Government)

ECONOMICS:
ECON 3605—HISTORY OF ECONOMIC THOUGHT—To learn the history of how certain prominent people felt how economies should run.
ECON 3620—MONEY AND BANKING—To learn how money and the banking systems affect society.
ECON 3665—U.S. ECONOMIC HISTORY—To learn the history of the US economy and its relationship and effect of society.
ECON 1200—Intro to Macroeconomics (Q2)—To learn the theories of economics on the macro level.
ECON 1400—Intro to Microeconomics (Q2)—To learn the theories of economics on the micro level.

ART:
GIS 3326—Money and the American Imagination (upper W1)—To learn how society views money through the art of literature.
Independent Study—To produce one (or one series of) medal(s).
(ARTV 0000—Intro to Visual Arts)
(ARTV 0000—Art Appreciation)
OFF-CAMPUS CREDITS:

In addition to the courses studied at the Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, numismatic seminars held by the American Numismatic Association (ANA) will count for credits. The Florence Shook School of Numismatics holds these seminars in Colorado Springs, Colorado during the summer. The industry considers those teaching the seminars as top numismatists in the business today.

The ANA also offers the Numismatic Diploma Program which, according to their website, provide individuals the opportunity to obtain a “Numismatic Scholar” certificate from American Numismatic Association School of Numismatics. Students will encounter an exciting and rewarding journey into the world of numismatics and thereby acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to become professionals in the field.
Requirements for the Diploma Program consist of registration, the completion of six correspondence courses, and a 200-question, closed book, final exam. Students can opt to take correspondence courses, classroom courses, or a combination of both to complete the course requirements. Students should be able to complete the program within two years. If more time is needed due to illness, military deployment, etc., please make arrangements with the Education Department. Each student has the option of being assigned a mentor to answer numismatic-related questions while enrolled in the program. The courses can be completed in any order that the student wishes. Any required course that the student may have already completed, within two years before registering for the program, will count towards completion of the program. Students must successfully pass all individual tests for each correspondence course before applying to take the final exam. All students are required to be ANA members.

-------------------------

Edited: Tuesday January 05, 2010 at 7:18 AM by jessecarlk

Bottom

laxmaster92
Collector

Sunday January 03, 2010 5:10 PM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

What college offers such a degree?

Bottom

jessecarlk
Veteran

Sunday January 03, 2010 5:14 PM

I attend the Richard Stockton College of New Jersey. They have a LIBA program (Liberal Independent Bachelor's of the Arts) in which one may design their own major. I designed mine in numismatics. I am really using this as a stepping-stone to graduate school—as all bachelor's are really stepping-stones to graduate school. Eventually, I will have a Ph.D. in Numismatics.

Bottom

RWB
Master Collector

Sunday January 03, 2010 5:16 PM

Can you describe the course of study you've designed?

Bottom

SwK

Sunday January 03, 2010 5:16 PM

i have never heard of this - how interesting, interested in more details? are u joking - [email protected] if real

br

A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass

Bottom

Shamika
Choose Your Title

Sunday January 03, 2010 5:35 PM

<< I am really using this as a stepping-stone to graduate school—as all bachelor's are really stepping-stones to graduate school. >>

I know a few engineers who would disagree with this statement.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Bottom

MidLifeCrisis
Master Collector

Sunday January 03, 2010 5:40 PM

<<

<< I am really using this as a stepping-stone to graduate school—as all bachelor's are really stepping-stones to graduate school. >>

>>

They just chose not to take the step.

I think a degree in numismatics is cool...but, unless you plan to be a coin dealer, I would be concerned about it's usefullness in getting a good job after college.

My Main Collection - Coins that Circulated in Early America and A Colonial Type Set on a Budget - Updated 24 September 2014

Bottom

DNADave
Master Collector

Sunday January 03, 2010 5:47 PM

Well, If I were designing my own degree in Numismatics, I might include:

Classical Art
Photography

Early American History
Roman/Greek History

Special Topics in:
US Mints
Metallurgy
Tokens
Medals
Bibliography of Numismatists

what else could be added?

Whenever you can, don't buy "Made in China" ! If everyone would make this choice, things will "change".

Bottom

DieClash
Expert Collector

Sunday January 03, 2010 5:53 PM

<< Well, If I were designing my own degree in Numismatics, I might include:

Classical Art
Photography

Early American History
Roman/Greek History

Special Topics in:
US Mints
Metallurgy
Tokens
Medals

>>

Physics + Chemistry

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES

Bottom

scotty1418

Sunday January 03, 2010 5:55 PM

+ Business & Micro/Macro Econ.

Bottom

DieClash
Expert Collector

Sunday January 03, 2010 5:56 PM

<<

<< Well, If I were designing my own degree in Numismatics, I might include:

Classical Art
Photography

Early American History
Roman/Greek History

Special Topics in:
US Mints
Metallurgy
Tokens
Medals

>>

Physics + Chemistry
>>

Oh and if one is interested in becoming a dealer/auctioneer then some basic business courses to round it all out:

Accounting
Finance
Management
Marketing
fPromotion
Distribution
Logistics
Manufactruing

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES

Bottom

Justacommeman
Master Collector

Sunday January 03, 2010 5:58 PM

<<

<<

>>

They just chose not to take the step.

I think a degree in numismatics is cool...but, unless you plan to be a coin dealer, I would be concerned about it's usefullness in getting a good job after college.
>>

Graders make BIG money in comparison to that of 95% of the public. That's where I would head with that degree and an eye..............MJ

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Bottom

MidLifeCrisis
Master Collector

Sunday January 03, 2010 6:04 PM

<< Graders make BIG money in comparison to that of 95% of the public. That's where I would head with that degree and an eye..............MJ >>

Fair point...and the money is attractive. But I'd go nuts pretty quickly if I sat in a darkened room all day looking at nothing but coin after coin after coin...

My Main Collection - Coins that Circulated in Early America and A Colonial Type Set on a Budget - Updated 24 September 2014

Bottom

Shamika
Choose Your Title

Sunday January 03, 2010 6:04 PM

Public speaking.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Bottom

DieClash
Expert Collector

Sunday January 03, 2010 6:23 PM

<<

<< Graders make BIG money in comparison to that of 95% of the public. That's where I would head with that degree and an eye..............MJ >>

Fair point...and the money is attractive. But I'd go nuts pretty quickly if I sat in a darkened room all day looking at nothing but coin after coin after coin...
>>

. . . with MidLifeCrisis

But I will qualify my statement

What's ironic is that I spend quite a bit of my spare time on this hobby and much of it is sitting in any [sic "darkened"] room all day looking at coin after coin. In fact, looking a coin after coin is the attraction that brought me to this hobby in the first place. I guess the difference between MidLifeCrisis, me and the graders is that were are not "forced" to look at 'em all day long for a living! But I would argue that doing so for a decent wage, if you like it, then that's OK too!

Bottom

yellowkid
Master Collector

Sunday January 03, 2010 6:30 PM

I would think that such a degree, with the right course of study, would be just as useful as any of the other liberal arts degrees, after all, a B.A. doesn't really give you any specific training in life, but hopefully the ability to think critically and put things in perspective.

Bottom

Justacommeman
Master Collector

Sunday January 03, 2010 6:31 PM

Noted that money isn't everything. However, a prodigy grader can make six figures right out of school or at a young age. Not too many fields can match that. An accomplished grader can make surgeon plus money. A few years of that can set up a nice coin rathole or another numismatic career where it may not be possible otherwise. A dark grading room can't be as bad as an electrical shed in Lubbock can it?

Ask John Albanese what one of the most needed voids this industry needs to fill and he will tell you accomplished graders. Where will the next young superstars come from? MJ

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Edited: Sunday January 03, 2010 at 6:32 PM by Justacommeman

Bottom

fc
Choose Your Title

Sunday January 03, 2010 6:36 PM

i think some posters are putting coin graders into an almost mythical
creature... seriously.. it is just a skill picked up with practice. one could
pretty easily state golfing is harder.

i think the people who can authenticate coins have a skill that is
more valuable then just grading coins.

Edited: Sunday January 03, 2010 at 6:42 PM by fc

Bottom

shorecoll
Expert Collector

Sunday January 03, 2010 6:40 PM

That degree would also work for significant museum staff positions. I'm sure the national collection has some skilled positions managing it.

Leon

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Bottom

Justacommeman
Master Collector

Sunday January 03, 2010 6:42 PM

<< i think some posters are putting coin graders into an almost mythical
creature... seriously.. it is just a skill picked up with practice. one could
pretty easily state golfing is harder.
>>

I would hazzard to guess that 99% of the general coin collecting public couldn't handle the rigors of professional grading. I would also hazzard to guess that 99% of golfers couldn't carry a PGA Tour card. Not mythical, just demanding and just my opinion. MJ

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]
FORUMS > U.S. COIN FORUM [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright © 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.