Home U.S. Coin Forum

Newbie's Guide to the Forums - How to post pictures, post links, and turn on your private messages

How to post pictures using Photobucket

If you haven't done so already, register at photobucket.com. Click Join Now to create an account.

Once your account is created, head over to your album. You will see the box below. Click the blue button to begin uploading from your computer.

Select the files you would like to upload. To upload more than one file at a time, hold Ctrl while selecting the files.

Once you've selected the files and clicked Open, the photos will begin to upload to Photobucket.

Once the files have uploaded, you will be given an opportunity to tag the photos, which isn't really necessary. Just click Save & Get Links.

On the next page, copy the IMG code. You can do this by right-clicking and selecting Copy, or Ctrl + C.

Finally, paste the IMG code in the body of a post. Once you do this, your images will show up. Each code for each images needs to be copied and pasted individually.

Now you have images in your posts!

imageimage

How to post a link

Go to the webpage you would like to post a link to, and copy the URL. For this example, we'll use pcgs.com

Next, when you're ready to create a link in a post, click the http button.

Paste the URL into the dialog box

Click OK, then you can name your link. For example, title it "Click Here!" or whatever you like.

Now your link has been coded, when you post the message, it will show up as a Hyperlink that you can click on.

How to turn on private messages

To turn on Private messages, find the button called 'Profile' in the upper right-hand corner of any forum window.

Scroll down until you see this:

Next to 'Allow Private Messages' click On

To send someone a private message, you simply click on the padlock icon at the upper right-hand corner of any of the member's posts. For instance, if you were to click the padlock icon on this post, the private message would be sent to me.

To support LordM's European Trip, click here!

Comments

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    this post will definitely help those who have trouble posting pics. Photobucket is the best !
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just joined, after many years of living within this website's 50 kb limit per pic.

How big a picture can I post? how many big pictures will the free account hold?

thanks, looking forward to posting big pics this weekend! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• The free account lets you upload up to 1MB flie size, and I'm not sure how much bandwidth you get. I have over 500 images currently with no problems.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used only 17% of my allotment on the Photobucket free service, and I've stored 90 mB.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this thread is long overdue

how about another thread on
    how to post links

perhaps as part of an
    introduction to the forum
    welcome package

LCoopie = Les
  • Very good thread. I didn't know about photobucket either.
  • Being 61 years old and such, I figured out how to do this on my own over a year ago.image

• << <i>The free account lets you upload up to 1MB flie size, and I'm not sure how much bandwidth you get. I have over 500 images currently with no problems. >>

Currently, free users are able to have up to 500 MB storage, and 10 GB bandwidth a month. It used to be 1GB storage and 25GB bandwidth, but it was reduced image

Photobucket is awesome for storing your photos for eBay and posting here. To give an example, 10GB of bandwidth will allow a photo, approximately 100Kb in size to be viewed about 100,000 times before the bandwidth is maxed out.

I was working on a post myself on how to use Photobucket to save on eBay fees, so I hope I wouldn't be stepping on SE92's post too much!

Thanks for the great post!
    -Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aren't all those pictures the property of someone else??

we recently had a discussion here about copyright laws that had everyone whipped up in a frothy frenzy, now this. man, i really, truly do love this place!!image
  • I don't know if screenshots fall in to the same category.

Anyone know?

• << <i>I don't know if screenshots fall in to the same category.

Anyone know? >>

I am sure it is fine for an educational post.

Unless you're trying to sell me a Chevy - then you owe Photobucket for the advertising.

Edited to add - very nice job aide.
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • Added "How to post links" and "How to turn on private messages"
  • Well done SilverEagles92
    Thanks for the refresher course.

Regards, Larryimage
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Added "How to post links" and "How to turn on private messages" >>

Why don't you contact the moderators to see if this thread can be saved somewhere
    for the information of new members.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding PM's, is there a way to get an email notification when you have a PM?
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Not that I'm aware of...
  • bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chad,

Thank you for walking us newbs through the process.

-Robertimage
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Regarding PM's, is there a way to get an email notification when you have a PM? >>

....i don't think there is. just have to log in from time to time and watch for the blinkin' padlock! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭
    Saay, that 1807 and 1808/7 look mighty familiar image
  • Thanks for making such a helpful tutorial!
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    TTT.... For the new guys and gals. image
  • Good ole, Chad. image

Thanks for reposting it, Smokin
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I have had a lot of help from members on the forum in the last few days. I still can't figure out how to make my pictures bigger. When I transfer them from photobucket to the forum, they always come through really small. I have tried every suggestion given to me yet still can't make the image larger. I have tried Irfanview. I have tried changing the "customize your upload options" to a variety of sizes in photobucket. Is 100X75 bigger or 2048X1536? Regardless of what I have tried, my pictures still transfer at a really small size. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chad was one of the good guys who we lost far too soon.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AWSOME thread. THANKS!!!!!!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Yeah, Thanks!
    How do you put the emoticon things into a post? Thanks!!
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That post from SilverEagles helped me out tons when i was brandy new...Thanks for bringing it forward and hope his folks are doing well...

ABimage
  • TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you SiverEagles92. I finally posted my 1st photo today!!!
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the newer members who might not be aware that Chad passed away last April, here are links to his obituary and to Apex Funeral Home where he was laid out and if you click "Obituaries" at the top of the home page and then search "Williford" you will get a link to his page. There is an RIP sendoff thread here and another in his memory here. By the way, the Capped Bust quarter that I sold to him adn that was his favorite coin was eventually located and I purchased it.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• << <i>How do you put the emoticon things into a post? Thanks!! >>

Raufus, after you hit "reply" there will be a drop down box in the far right of the little tool bar that says "Select Emotion." Hit the down arrow and you should see them....
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have tried changing the "customize your upload options" to a variety of sizes in photobucket. >>

This is what I do. Not sure why you can't get them bigger this way. I, usually, go with something in the middle.

<< <i>Is 100X75 bigger or 2048X1536? >>

The bigger number is a bigger pic.

• SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Chad was one of the good guys who we lost far too soon. >>

Yep he was a good kid. I used this post myself back a year and a half or so really was helpful.

<< <i>

<< <i>How do you put the emoticon things into a post? Thanks!! >>

Raufus, after you hit "reply" there will be a drop down box in the far right of the little tool bar that says "Select Emotion." Hit the down arrow and you should see them.... >>

Thanks so much!!!!

How sad about Chad.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTT: Bump.image

Hoard the keys.
  • daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Oh, speaking of which- any information regarding the "user voting"? Do you want a high number (i.e., 9-10), or a low one?
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file