Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Special Forum Characters

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
Ever wonder how folks get them "special characters" in their replies such as ™ ?

Here's a quick "numeric key pad" list (won't work with numbers at the top of the keyboard):

Alt + 0153 = ™
Alt + 0169 = ©
Alt + 0174 = ®
Alt + 0162 = ¢
Alt + 0188 = ¼
Alt + 0189 = ½
Alt + 0190 = ¾
Alt + 0247 = ÷

You're welcome.
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about us laptop folk?

Great idea Lee!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What about us laptop folk?

Great idea Lee! >>

You're just screwed fella!

At least until you get a plug in keyboard!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And for those that want to book mark a link to all of the special characters go Here....

• Options
    and I thought I was opening up a commentary thread regarding all the various characters who post here image

thanks for sharing, Lee... I always wondered about those and how to put them in a post...

BTW... I have a laptop and it has an "alt" key... so what's the problem with laptops?
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Use Character Map if you don't have a keypad.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ¢©®L!!!
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    For us laptoppers without a numeric keypad in lieu of the [ALT] + [0176] etc, you can go START --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Character Map and browse the special symbols and click on one to copy it here. Also insert --> Special Symbols works in MS Word on you could copy and paste in your response to the OP.
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options

<< <i>What about us laptop folk?

Great idea Lee! >>

You could go into word, use the symbols command and type your post (or just make and save a cheat sheet of common symbols) then cut and paste into the forum post. Not as convenient, true, but if the need exists.

Edit:

DieClash you beat me to the post with your similar solution. Cheers!
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On an Apple laptop

Option + 2 = ™
    Option + 3 = £
    Option + 4 = ¢
    Option + 5 =∞
    Option + 6 = §
    Option + 7 = ¶
    Option + 8 = •
    Option + 9 = ª
    Option + 0 = º
    Option + = = ≠
    Option + a = å
    Option + r = ®
    Option + v = √
    Option + , = ≤
    Option + . = ≥
    Option + / = ÷
    Option + Shift + k = 
    Option + Shift + / = ¿

Most don't mean anything to most of us. There are more, but they mean even less.

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    My collection of Special Forum Characters, in approximate order of use

imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Neat!
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>¢©®L!!! >>

Don't you mean ¢©®£
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file