Home U.S. Coin Forum

coins

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
This looks real to me. Sure hope so. What do you think?

Comments

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    not chinese fakes?? There was a article on coinworld about the chinese counterfeiters getting into error coins.........won't that be a big problem for error collectors like you? How do you tell a fake from a real one???
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    i take it that was a Buy it Now you pulled the trigger on??? link??

www.brunkauctions.com

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>not chinese fakes?? There was a article on coinworld about the chinese counterfeiters getting into error coins.........won't that be a big problem for error collectors like you? How do you tell a fake from a real one??? >>

That is WHY I asked the question, are these know fakes?? they look good to me by the photos, but ...............

Any and all info is welcome
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quarter planchet? Get the scale out. Very cool!
    Said Nickel planchet
    also, for the record there is something i dont like about the coins pictured (with the exception of the 'normal' Bicentennial)

the blank planchet looks to have partially upset rims and the other (o/c on 25c stock?) just doesnt feel right either

www.brunkauctions.com

>>Said Nickel planchet>>

nickel being a harder metal i would expect a soft strike

www.brunkauctions.com

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Ike dollar on the nickel planchet was real, I would expect the thing to be a lot more distended. Such a piece would have to be struck out of the collar (the ring that goes around the coin when it is struck which also gives it the reeded edge), and given that it would have bent to a degree.

No I think that this is a fake.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    When it arrives, examine the quality of workmanship very closely. If its a fake, you should be able to spot it rather quickly since the counterfeit IKE's I've seen are obvious.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>When it arrives, examine the quality of workmanship very closely. If its a fake, you should be able to spot it rather quickly since the counterfeit IKE's I've seen are obvious. >>

Can you see anything in the photos that says counterfeit to you!!

Are these commonly counterfeited?
  • TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    I'm not an error expert, but look at the shape of IKE's head and the spacing of (LIB)ERTY...

???
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
    Interesting thoughts, that you all

Even tho the seller said nickel blank, I do think the size is a quarter planchet.

Now Counterfeit Detectors please help on the IKE.

Can anyone say FOR SURE one way or the OTHER.

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first thought was "real".

Then I looked at the listing. Seller has mostly jewelry, only one other item that is sort of numismatic. Has sold a bunch of other items, also mostly jewelry. Has one negative, for an item-not-received, the other feedback fine.

Based on that, I still think "real".

Congrats! Killer score!

<< <i>My first thought was "real".

Then I looked at the listing. Seller has mostly jewelry, only one other item that is sort of numismatic. Has sold a bunch of other items, also mostly jewelry. Has one negative, for an item-not-received, the other feedback fine.

Based on that, I still think "real".

Congrats! Killer score! >>

That was my thoughts, I had to jump on it. If real then I guess I suck and if fake then I guess I got suckered, anyway I figure it was worth the chance.
  • sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    I cannot conclusively tell from the image provided.

Your sample obverse would not produce the reverse that is on the error coin.

Since the obverse are reverse dies are different year (if the obverse matches only the 1975-1976 die) I would lean toward fake.

Once you have the coin in hand, have several examples of the eagle reverse coins per year (1971-1974 and 1977-1978) on hand and then start comparing the obverse and reverse dies. There were some subtle changes over the years that should help identify the actual year of mintage (if real).

V/R

Sumdunce
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Why the reeding on the reverse?
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't put my finger on it, but it just looks wrong.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

<< <i>Why the reeding on the reverse? >>

Good Question ... perhaps metal flow that look kinda like reeding??????

I have no idea if this real or not after all the responses as I am not an Ike expert and apparently not an error expert either image

• itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    The only thing I see that is suspicious is the reeding below LAR on the reverse.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Why the reeding on the reverse? >>

A key question to be answered convincingly before I could join the "real" group.

The reverse die would have had to do something unheard of to put that reeding on there?

That does not appear to be metal flow.It appears to be an impression of edge reeding.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't put my finger on it, but it just looks wrong.

Lane >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
    So, if this is counterfeit, how much is it worth as a counterfeit or should I request a refund.

But I need to know for SURE.

So I guess I need this in hand, Unless Fred Can positively tell me this is a fake by the photos, in which I could try to contact the seller before sending it out.

• errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    It looks good to me. I would have jumped on it in a heartbeat. There is a strong collar scar, which is consistent with a genuine error. The serrations in the collar scar presumably represent the tops of the ridged working face of the collar. It doesn't look like collar clash on the reverse die.

Congrats on a stupendous score.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
    mike diamond knows his stuff so i guess i have egg on my face for doubting

www.brunkauctions.com

<< <i>It looks good to me. I would have jumped on it in a heartbeat. There is a strong collar scar, which is consistent with a genuine error. The serrations in the collar scar presumably represent the tops of the ridged working face of the collar. It doesn't look like collar clash on the reverse die.

Congrats on a stupendous score. >>

Hey thank you, someone positive. My doubts have been growing.

WOW, I sure hope u are right as this looked real to me as well.

thanks man

I was getting a little down.

Either way, a great learning experience which is always good.

<< <i>mike diamond knows his stuff so i guess i have egg on my face for doubting >>

Thank you again Mike for chiming in. I did not know that was your handle,

Good to hear from an EXPERT which I strive to be.

• << <i>The price was unbelievable if real so I did jump as fast as I could >>

This being the case I can not think of any Ike guy who would not have jumped on it also.
    In either case whether real or fake it is worth getting a hold of.

Real: Incredible error and a great addition to any collection.

Fake: A great piece to get a hold of to study the advances in fake coin production,
    to make this one cause the diversity of opinions of long time coin collectors.

EDIT:If it does turn out to be fake and the price is not too high I am sure there are
    at least a couple of Ike Guys that would like to have it just to study
    Me being one of them. If it is fake it is a good one.
    So either way Good Scoreimage
    Stew
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
    "I would expect the thing to be a lot more distended....it would have bent to a degree."

Bill is not alone in his thinking.The thing should look more messed up than it appears to me to be.

It looks "too good," in other words.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭
    The off center IKE looks fake to me. The IKE blank looks good to me, as do the other minor two to three dollar errors in that group you bought.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭
    The off center nickels in that group do look okay to me.

Good luck to you. You got a hell of a deal if that IKE turns out to be the real deal.
  • GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    The reverse has extremely sharp and crisp details...especially the crater debris lines. So sharp and crisp,
    it looks very, very early die state. That is the only "possible flag" I might see....I would expect an Ike struck on a
    thinner planchet (like a quarter) to have details just a little less sharp. I only say this, because of the few 1970-D
    Quarters I have that are struck on dime stock are that way. Maybe the thickness difference is not as large in this case?

Other than that...it sure looks the "Real Deal" to me and I wouldn't have hesitated one second to pull the trigger
    on that one...even if it has a "no returns" policy.

Good Luck on this! I think you got the best deal I've seen in a LONG time!image

Brian

I Love image Error and DIVA Ikes! image
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    some IKES on wrong planchetts at Heritage

12% off on half planchett

struck on half

your example looks to good to be true

reeding does not make sense on one side
    should not be so well defined strike near edge (center of IKE)

pics can be off - you will know when it arrives
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going with fake because of the die rotation.

Otherwise it looks good to me and the upsetting looks normal.
    Tempus fugit.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are the bag marks that plague Ike? Too neat and clean.

Edt to add...not an expert.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    It looks like it has a raised rim in the area of the off center strike.

Look at some off center IKEs and I doubt they will have that sort of a raised rim in the off center strike area on the obv.
    I'm only talking about the obv and assuming the collar is on the reverse.
    Makes me think it might be fake.

LOL... Still sort of neat image

Added: I'd want to look at other off center IKEs to be sure, maybe I'm wrong If Mike likes it that's a very good sign image
    Ed
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks genuine to me also; the reeding on the
    reverse is exactly where you would expect it.

I believe I saw the original listing that showed
    four common errors - I never clicked the listing
    to see the other scan that included the Ike.

If I had, I would have bookmarked it, and bid
    very very strong. It's an incredible error, and
    extremely rare for an Ike.

Congrat's to the sharp-eyed bidder/buyer !!

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Cha ching.

Steve
    Good for you.
    "I'm going with fake because of the die rotation."

What degree of die rotation would be within bounds so as to not make one suspicious about this piece being fake?

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"I'm going with fake because of the die rotation."

What degree of die rotation would be within bounds so as to not make one suspicious about this piece being fake? >>

10% maybe.

I haven't seen much rotation on Ikes.
    Tempus fugit.
    Thank you very much Fred, I really appreciate it.

I thought I had a good eye, but the counterfeit guys had me questioning myself.

BTW I got the 1996 double headed lincoln that I emailed you about so no need to reply.

Thank you again Fred and Mike.
    Are you going to send the piece to a TPG for authentication?

• WTG indeed! I would have never clicked on the auction given the title and first image the seller chose to display.

I see a "YOU SUCK" award in your very near future! image
    "In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan
    Probably not, but may consider it.

if I certified all my great errors, I wouldn't have any money left for coins image
  • If any error deserves to be in a PCGS slab, this one surely merits it! image
    "In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    cladking - what degree of die rotation do you see?

it looks aligned to me
    Now this is really uncool.

The seller just requested to cancel this transaction.

My guess is one of you offered him more, Very uncool, very unethical if so.

It is possible the seller, may have wanted to cancel this on his own, but i do have to wonder.....

I rejected his cancel, he will get negged if he does not follow through.

I should not have posted this thread.

I was looking for information and help.

I may of @#$*)! myself.

no more asking for help....

shame

i agree that it does seem like someone contacted the seller, and in my opinion that is unethical......in fact, Ebay would call it auction interference

the lesson to learn here, however, is never discuss a deal in public until that deal is finished and the coins (or whatever) is IN HAND

sorry this happened to you......keep the pressure on the seller and maybe he will follow through

www.brunkauctions.com

I spend a lot of time researching these coins. A lot of time. Hard work. I come here for help.

Someone takes my very hard work, uses it, and tries to sneak this by.

I am LIVID!!!!!!!!!
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Had it been paid for before seller wanted to cancel???
    I'll come up with something.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file