Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$167,000 OFFICIAL JULIAN LEIDMAN REWARD FUND - RE: JULIAN LEIDMAN'S THEFT

ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
As you are aware Julian Leidman, a fellow coin dealer, was a victim of a theft Sunday upon driving home from Coinfest.

Laura Sperber and I are offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individual or individuals responsible for this robbery.

We will expand this post with additional information and details as they become known.

**The Following are adding to our reward fund**

PNG $2,500
William Dominick is contributing $10,000.
John Albanese 10k
Kenny Duncan 10k
Kevin Lipton 10k
Bob Higgins has added another $1000 to the reward fund.
James Long has added $1000 to the reward fund.
Wayne Herndon has added $2,500 to the reward fund.
Matt Lerner $1,000
Joseph O'Connor $5,000
John Feigenbaum $ 2,500
James Sego $1,000
Larry Shapiro $1,000
Ray Hinkelman + Phil Hinkelman $1,000
Tom Crabtree $ 5,000
Dave Wnuck & John Agre $ 2,500
Dave Albanese $1,000
Rob Lehman $1,000
Bill Panitch $ 500
Cary Moomijian $ 1,000
Ron Chiasson $ 500
Ken Goldman $ 2,000
John Abbott $ 1,000
Michael Casper $ 1,000
Elliott Durann - $ 500
Dave Schweitz - $ 2,500
Chris McCawley - $ 1,000
John Pasciuti $1,000
Shawn Bergan $ 250
Steve Gerhinger $2,500
David Weygant $ 1,000
Jan Olav Aamlid $ 1,000
Ed Milas $ 1,000
Harry Jones $1000
Paul Montgomery $ 1,000
Harry Laibstain $ 1,000
Fred Weinberg $ 1,000
Matthew DeRoma $ 1,000
Jack Lee $ 1,000
Heritage $10000
John Maben $5000
Paul Nugget, Greg Roberts, Andrew Glassman, Bobby Avena $3500
Don Kagin $1000
Sheridan Downey $2500
Andy Lustig $1000
Jason Carter $2500
Allan Rowe $1000
Tom Bush $ 1,000
Sam Lopresto $1000
Dustin Massie $1000
Whitman Publ. $2500
Stack's $2500
Andrew Kimmel $1000
Dana Samuelson $1000
David Hall $10000
PCGS $5000
Sil DiGenova $2000
Coininfo.com $1000
Rocky Mountain Coin $500
Lee Minshull $5000
Rick Tomaska $1000
Stephen Gehringer $2500
Gary Duskie $1000
Ray Merena $1000
Terry Hanlon $5000
George Oprysko $250
John Polati $250

We thank our fellow coin dealers and collectors in their support for Julian!

This Information Contains Contact Numbers Should Anyone Have Any Information
Subject: Crime Alert

Numismatic Crime Information Center
****CRIME ALERT****

The Township of Montville, New Jersey police department is investigating
the October 11, 2009 auto burglary of coin dealer Julian Leidman. Mr.
Leidman was enroute home participating in Coinfest held in Stamford
Connecticut. The suspect or suspects entered the victim's vehicle by
smashing out a side window and removing his inventory. The inventory which
had significant value included several identifiable coins, foreign coins,
currency and bullion.

Stolen ( Partial Listing )

1921 $20 Gold Piece NGC MS61
1932 $20 Gold Piece uncirculated
Several scarce date Lib's and Saints

1806 Half Dollar PCGS MS63 (Proof Like) planchet flaw on reverse
1807 Half Dollar PCGS MS 65

1892-O Dollar PCGS genuine holder incredible coin appears to be proof.

1829 5 Mark struck off center

Any Dealer or Collector having any information on this offense should

Det. Keezer
973-257-4113

Julian Leidman
301-585-8467

Doug Davis
817-705-4450

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Comments

• Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image as well from me
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image as well from me >>

Ditto.

-Paul
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Ditto what the others said....This is a classy thing to do.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Is Julian okay?

• Options

A wonderful gesture from classy folks!
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    Obviously the safety of Julian is the most important concern. Any updates would be appreciated. That being said, any lists of stolen coins would be helpful. Hopefully they catch the SOB's that did this, and quickly.

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options

Outstanding gesture.
  • Options
    THINK CRAIGSLIST AND PAWNSHOPS FOLKS..

THEN CHECK EBAY IN A FEW WEEKS WHEN THEY THINK IT HAS COOLED DOWN..
  • Options
    image That is comendable.
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825

<< <i>image That is comendable. >>

• Options

<< <i>As you are aware Julian Leidman, a fellow coin dealer, was a victim of a robbery Sunday upon driving home from Coinfest. >>

From what I can make out, this crime was a theft, not a robbery. Where did it happen, exactly...do you know?
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Fellow coin dealers helping each other...I don't think there are many places where that is possibleimage

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have notified about a half dozen coin shops and jewelry shop bullion/coin buyers in the South Jersey area.

They are on the Lookout.
  • Options

<< <i>I have notified about a half dozen coin shops and jewelry shop bullion/coin buyers in the South Jersey area.

They are on the Lookout. >>

And good luck to Julian!
  • Options
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have notified about a half dozen coin shops and jewelry shop bullion/coin buyers in the South Jersey area.

They are on the Lookout. >>

What was taken ?? Graded or raw ???image
  • Options
    Both. I believe Julian said over 1000 coins, and over 300 slabbed
  • Options
    Unfortunately, their having gone to the extreme of having bugged his car, they appear to have had this crime pretty much calculated out, meaning, I doubt any of this loot is going to be turning up in any Jersey coin shop.

PS: FWIW, I think the detectives, in time, will get these guys. Don't know about recovering any or all of the loot, though, especially if fencing arrangements had been made (which, again, I don't think is unlikely, given the calculated nature of this crime).
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Jon you are a class act. I hope you and Laura's efforts are rewarded.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    A nice gesture for sure.

Did the thieves or robbers remove the car tracking device on the way out?
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    I would really check out people working the venue also..

Inside convicts that work as security or housekeeping just for events like this..

Julian should see which employee might of quit or didn't show up the next day or so..

Again,if it was a huge venue and maybe go from there... Crafty crooks.. No better place to troll Julian from when he came there and how he did his closing of business each day.. Sorry again..John
    Collector of most Coins and Paper Notes
  • Options
    Just started a thread on Cointalk, as well as Coinhood. Hopefully that helps. I will also notify everyone that I know in that area.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The PNG just sent out a notice that the PNG and New York dealer William Dominick have both contributed additional funds to the reward. The PNG is contributing $2500 and Bill Dominick will contribute $10000.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>The PNG just sent out a notice that the PNG and New York dealer William Dominick have both contributed additional funds to the reward. The PNG is contributing $2500 and Bill Dominick will contribute $10000. >>

Wow... I wonder how much was stolen. It must have been a lot for rewards this high.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am so sorry to hear about this. Traveling from a show is always a dangerous time. I you are OK, Julian. I hope the coins can be traced soon and the thieves caught.

Special thanks to Jon and Laura as well as PNG.

Bill Dominick was robbed several years ago at FUN - it spoiled him on going to shows. His donation of $10,000 is certainly a huge deal. Kudos to Bill.

Inventory
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to see those rewards get paid out, and the scuzzbags that perpetrated the crimes find new 'buddies" in the bighouse.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm impressed by the forum response and saddened to hear of yet another robbery.

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julian: I wish you well, hope that you are alright, and am very sorry to hear that you have been the victim of this crime.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    I am shocked and deeply saddened over this news. Is there a detailed list of coins/material stolen that we may keep our eyes open?

Best wishes to Julian and his welfare.
    Garrow
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Another reason perhaps not to post who is going to CoinFest or any other coin show on the forum?
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish Julian the best of luck and wishes.

Not all police department are equal. Some are just better than others. I hope and pray that the one doing the investagating is one of the better ones, and they get the bad guys and send them away for along long time.

HA sent out an email to all thier contacts

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    This is horrible. If I caught the guy I would not accept the reward. Getting a thief like this in jail is where the reward is at.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    This is terrible news. I'll bet crooks stake out these big coin shows and follow the coins....

I hope the stolen coins are returned ASAP.
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

<< <i>Another reason perhaps not to post who is going to CoinFest or any other coin show on the forum? >>

I dont think ANYONE on the forum would do this.Only MHO but I dont think that the thieves used a tracking device either.How would they know his car before the theft??IMHO the slimeballs were at the show...watched who had a large amount of gold coins and watched as he loaded the car when he left.Then followed the car figuring he wouldnt be driving cross country and if he was alone waiting for a chance once the car stopped.I guess it was fortunate in a way that he left the car with the coins inside.If he immediately began to unload them these creeps would have stopped at nothing to steal his property.
    Like most posters I am shocked and sickened by this event.
  • Options
    While I am horrified to hear what has happend to you and I sincerly hope everything works out for the best. I think in order to find out who did this we all need a little more information. You stated in another thread that your car "may" have been bugged. Where exactly were you when your car was broke into? Do you have a rough list of some sort with any cert numbers at all? Any information would be really helpful.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I just want to suggest being cautious. I don't know if thieves actually use this forum. But if you are big collector with registry sets with your name on them... Sorry to hear about this and hope you find the thieves.
  • Options
    Is there a list of what was taken posted yet?
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm impressed by the forum response and saddened to hear of yet another robbery. >>

I agree. This is terrible.

Those who are offering the reward should be commended.
  • Options

<< <i>Is there a list of what was taken posted yet? >>

FrederickCoinExch wrote a partial list here..
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Many, many thanx to all.

I do not have a list, but I can almost certainly tell you if a specific coin was part of the inventory. If you see or are offered something that seems unusual, please let me know. I can pretty much answer yes or no on anything.

Some of the items include several scarce Saints, 1920-s, 1921, 1925-s, 1927-s, & 1932. There is a 1794 dollar that is flawed. There are several Gem Busties, including 1806 O-123, prime; 1807 O-113, 1826, 1829, 1832. There is currency from colonial thru small size; some foreign coins from minor thru gold, probably numbering a few hundred coins. The most identifiable is a 1929 German 5 Mark that is about 25% off center and probably unique.

Please let me know if you see anything unusual.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    For the past few hours I've been emailing coins shops in NYC about this theft and to be aware. I hope they find these idiots and you get all of your coins back. With the help of this forum I hope something good comes out of this situation. I can only imagine how you are feeling.

A fellow collector!
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Bob Higgins of Certified Assets Management Inc. has just contributed an additional $1000 to the reward fund, according to the current PNG press release.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    What is missing so that I may start the search?

Tom
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were there security cameras at the Coinfest site? If there were are the tapes being checked to see who might have been "hanging around" the parking area and bourse hall watching Julian or his car? Who leaves the parking area just after Julian?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    A lot was taken, see below

Stolen Coin Alert 10/11/09

Coin Dealer Julian Leidman’s car was broken into while returning from CoinFest in Stamford, CT. Car was broken into few hours ago in Pine Brook, NJ. Taken was virtually the entire inventory including several significant coins.’

Julian is known for handling some of the world’s most significant coins. Stolen were several coins in the 6 figure range. A true numismatist, many of his coins are raw, ungraded coins. If you are approached about purchasing any significant coins, raw or graded, please notify Julian at: 301.785.5640

Partial List Includes:

Large Cents:

1794 AU
    1816 Proof-Like Brown Unc
    1854 Choice Unciruclated

Three Cents
    1862 PCGS MS-64 Toned 3Silver
    1871 PCGS MS-64 3Nickel
    1884 Proof like – BU

Half Dimes
    1797 Gem Uncirculated
    1797 13 Stars
    1829 Proof Like Unc
    1830 Gem BU
    1833 Gem BU
    1837 No Stars BU DMPL
    1862 BU
    1864 NGC MS-64

Nickels
    1913-D T1 BU Gold/Blue Paina
    1919-D PCGS MS-64

Dimes
    1805 Choice BU
    1829 NGC MS-65
    1833 Gem BU
    1835 Gem BU
    1837 No Stars Gem BU
    Halves
    1829 Gem Unc
    1832 Proof
    1902 Gem BU
    1906-D PCGS MS-64
    1911-D Gem BU
    1918-D Ch BU weak centers and head
    1929-D PCGS MS-64
    1934-S PCGS MS-64

Dimes Con’t
    1855 BU
    1864 Gem BU
    1874 PCGS MS-63
    1892-O Proof Like BU
    1893 BU
    1893-S PCGS MS-64
    1894-O BU
    1895 PCGS MS-63
    1901 ANACS MS-63

Twenty Cent Pieces
    1875 Proof Like
    1875-CC Gem Unc

Quarters
    1815 Gem BU PCGS-63
    1825 4/3 PCGS MS-64
    1838 NGC MS-64
    1861 PCGS MS-64
    1881 PF
    1885 Gem BU
    1887 Gem BU
    1917-S T1 FH Gem BU
    1918-S PCGS MS-64 FH

Halves
    1806 Gem Proof Like Unc
    1807 Gem BU Small Stars
    1822 Gem BU
    1826 Gem BU
    Dollars
    1795 Flowing Hair XF
    1853 NGC MS-63
    1859 NGC PF-65 Cameo
    1859 NGC MS-62
    1862 CH Unc
    1863 Ch Unc
    1868 Gem PF

Also included but not listed are rare Morgans/Peace.
    Type Gold
    20+ Patterns.

Please go to: JulianCoin.com to see full inventory.

• Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    if you live in the tri-state area I will keep my eyes open..

sorry, I just read the last post.----good luck
    figglehorn
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    please tell me they were insured.image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope they get these crooks and I hope Julian gets his merchandise back.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

This discussion has been closed.