Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does die wear cause better luster?

MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
I've often heard it said that LDS coins exhibit better luster than their EDS counterparts. I've always attributed this statement to die wear imparting better luster on coins.

Is this true or false? Your comments/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...Mike
Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not true.
    Die wear erodes the surface of the die and diminishes the luster. It can still be original and attractive, but it is less than it used to be.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LDS coins have coarser luster as a result of die wear. How this translates to better or worse is up to the viewer.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    "With Mint State coins, luster is the result of light reflecting from the surface. As a coin is struck, the metal flows into the recesses of the die because of the pressure applied by the coining press. The metal flow is usually in a radial pattern, i.e., outward toward the rim. On some coins, these lines are all but invisible but are still present microscopically. The degree of luster is determined by how, and how intensely, light reflects from these flow lines. Sometimes this luster “cartwheels” around the fields (or background areas) of a coin as it is tilted back and forth under a good light source. Mint State luster is categorized in several ways: flat (flow lines are invisible to the unaided eye, as often happens when coins are struck from worn dies), satin (flow lines may be slightly visible but there is little cartwheel effect), frosty (flow lines are usually visible with a cartwheel effect, ranging from slight to heavy), semi-prooflike (light flow lines may be visible but most are not, being replaced by slightly mirrored fields that have a slight cartwheel effect), and prooflike (no flow lines are visible, with the fields now mirror-like, but with virtually no cartwheel effect). . . . Flow lines are present even on . . . brilliant Proofs, but only in microscopic form. When flow lines become visible on a Proof die, the die will normally be repolished.

J. Dannreuther, Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection, at 10-11 (2d ed. 2004).

The sentence "When flow lines become visible on a Proof die, the die will normally be repolished” implies that the wear on a die imparts flow lines that produce luster. But I'm not sure that's what he intends to say, especially because it seems inconsistent with this description of "flat" luster: "flow lines are invisible to the unaided eye, as often happens when coins are struck from worn dies).

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    LDS coins exhibit better luster than their EDS counterparts

I would not specifically point to Early Die States to impart more luster than a Late Die State or visa versa. Many factors come into play to create a coin with booming luster. From die preparation, to die standoff and striking pressures, all the way down to planchet preparation.

As the dies wear from repeated striking, flow lines radiating from a central point become a bit more pronounced on the coin, even eroding into the lettering and devices. Dies are normally removed from service long before coins become ugly, but I have seen modern Kennedy half dollars in the 80’s with severe LDS strikes. Even though the flow lines are significant and should by all rights create luster, the coin are actually ugly.

I do believe there is a happy medium with die wear and the amount of luster seen on a well struck coin.

When that happens, it’s magical.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that it does increase, but there is a point in the die state where the flow begins to negatively effect the surface and at that point it begins to diminish the luster as the die continues to fatigue.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    So there you have it. When a coin collector is worn out

They just do not seem to have the same glowing luster.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would imagine that you need to have a little die wear to get that cartwheel luster effect.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Let's compromise, a MDS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file