Home U.S. Coin Forum

My letter to Mr. Moy re: UHR and his response

mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
On Feb. 27, I sent the following to Mr. Moy via email. I will post his reply following:

Dear Mr. Moy, Friday, February 27, 2009

I am writing to express my disappointment and dismay with recent service from the US Mint, particularly with the service of the new fulfillment contractor, Pitney Bowes Government Services (PBGS). Without question, the move to PBGS has been a complete and total disaster. The handling of the UHR has been a complete failure and has alienated many hundreds, if not thousands of loyal customers. First we had to put up with inadequate web service during the first two hours of ordering. In my case, after loading my cart, it took over an hour to proceed through checkout. The next snafu was a series of conflicting emails regarding shipping dates. I personally received four email updates, none of which have proven to be correct. Furthermore, at no time did the emails agree with the status on the web tracking page.

The above were irritating annoyances and I was willing to grant PBGS the benefit of the doubt given that the switchover had just occurred. But the final straw was when shipping of the UHR resumed this week. As far as the evidence I have gathered shows, all of us who ordered early and were in the first batch of scheduled shipments that were delayed by the defective book have been placed in a sort of limbo. I have friends and acquaintances who ordered much later than me, some 2 days later than me, who have received their UHRs this week. I have seen many other similar examples on some of the coin collecting blogs and boards. The one common theme throughout is that those of us whose ordered in the first couple hours have received nothing. Our orders are not progressing through the system. In addition, the PBGS customer service reps cannot provide information other than "it will be shipped soon". What I don’t understand is what happened to FIFO? It is clear that later orders are being fulfilled before the early orders. This fact is very disturbing. Not only is it unfair, it is against published US Mint policy. Nobody that I have talked to seems to believe me; neither PBGS nor the US Mint officials I have spoken to (I have phoned your Office of Public Affairs and informed them of the disregarding of FIFO by PBGS). Furthermore, nobody seems to care.

My fear is that my order, currently stuck in limbo, will fall off the edge. My confidence in the US Mint is at an all-time low. I have been a loyal customer since 1969 and nothing has been as bad as this experience. It must get better. Things must be made right.

Respectfully,

(me)

UHR Order# 30836932

Comments

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today I received a response from Mr. Moy asking me if my issues had been resolved. I replied with the following:

Dear Mr. Moy,

Thank you for your reply. I realise that you are a busy person. I received my UHR last week and I am impressed with the coin - it is a true work of art. However, I am still very disappointed in the rollout, especially with the apparent abandonment of the FIFO principle with regards to fulfillment of the orders. I personally know of people who ordered within the first hour who still have not received their coins.

Regards,
    (me)

A short while later, Mr. Moy replied back with the following:

"I too think the rollout could have been done better. The UHR rollout has exposed a lot of areas of the Mint that need to improve (and we are making changes and will be better). FYI, we've shipped half the outstanding orders and the other half should all be sent out over the next three weeks. And we are working on a public statement about our FIFO issues."

I am looking forward to the forthcoming "public statement" regarding FIFO. I think this is significant in that it is the first time that I have seen anything from the mint recognizing that there is a problem, and it came from the top! I also hope the statement about "the rest of the orders should all be sent out in the next three weeks" holds true for the rest of those who haven't received their UHRs yet.

• zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Dude! Very cool!

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dude! Very cool! >>

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel bad for the workers, nowimage
    You know how image rolls downhill.
    And it's not the little guy's fault but guess who pays for it all ?

Now I'm just sayin'
    Looking from the other side of the coin, so to speak.
  • rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>

I feel bad for the workers, nowimage
    You know how image rolls downhill.
    And it's not the little guy's fault but guess who pays for it all ?

Now I'm just sayin'
    Looking from the other side of the coin, so to speak. >>

I would pay to watch it roll downhill if someone could get it on film right about now.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! A response. While I'm not as disappointed with the UHR handling as you are (I ordered on day one, charge card was charged yesterday, coin showed up today), I am impressed that you got a response that isn't some silly form letter. I'll have to contact him about my disappointment regarding the "snakeskin proof" finish that has been spreading across their products.
  • cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    I assume there were a few of these...image..

Followed by a few "poor little collectors didn't get their coins fast enough" comments as he typed his "form" response.
    Goverment workers or leaders could careless if your happy or not.

The workers will never know the dismay from the collector community concerning the UHR..

All they know is the image they had to put up with during the
    ASE 08/07 fiasco created from the massive returns from "collectors"...

• Here we are on First Strike Eve, and I still don’t have my UHR even though I ordered within 30 minutes of its release.

The Mint sucks. Mint Boy Moy sucks. Pitney Bowes sucks. All of you are pathetic. None of you can manage your way out of a wet paper bag. Your performances are disgraceful and deplorable.

It amazes me that none of you can ship 30,000 coins in 48 days, or 35 business days since god forbid that you work on a weekend. Most companies would have finished shipping in about a day, maybe two.

Even more sickening than your apathy and disrespect is your lack of communication. It’s incredible! One would think you people were covering up an Alien spacecraft landing.

Unbelievable! Hey, you little monkeys, get with the program, grow up, and grow a pair otherwise resign. You are all an embarrassment to Americans!

• Only the resignations of Boy Moy and Timmy Tax Cheat Geithner will suffice as a sacrificial offering to appease the fiery rage of my anger.

The Mint’s performance and behavior is abhorrent, void of competence, and overrun with apathy.

This does not bode well for a country with a government promoting the nationalization of health care, banks, insurance, and other fundamental industries.

Accordingly, let the phrase ‘In God We Trust’ be forever stricken from our currency and be replaced by the phrase ‘God Help Us’ or simply ‘Save Our Souls (SOS)’.
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Will miracles never cease? First the mint order tracking is back online and now Mr. Moy his ownself indicates the rest of the UHRs will ship within 3 weeks.

As if to confirm this, my UHR is "In stock & reserved" and my UHR book is scheduled to ship on 4/1 image

Now, anyone who takes me for a darn fool is no dam dummy, but an April Fool? image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Have we come to expect so little of our public servants that a mere reply to an email whips us up into a frothy frenzy? image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    That wasn't Mr. Moy.. His cousin Boc Choy wrote you that letter in the alley somewhere in Hong Kong.image

All kidding aside, I hope this is a sincere response from MR Moy Aka Boc Choy...

I still don't get it.. 2008/09 and the United States Mint F-ing up. Like this..

I am just wondering if they had some sort of problems with striking this coin? Oh well I wonder what excuse will be next on the horizon when the next cool design comes out..

I wonder why the U.S. wouldn't hire a natural born U.S. citizen to run the mint..

I am in a Wondering mood today.. Sorry.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I'm really looking forward to the "FIFO" communication. I'm wondering what kind of "mea culpa" we'll see. I was just impressed that he acknowledged that there was/is a problem. I really wasn't expecting a reply - after all, it had been almost two weeks since I sent my original email. For what it's worth, his second reply came back almost immediately.

• MBOGOMAN

Kudos to you! You did great. I appreciate your efforts, and I'm sure many others of us do as well especially those that still have not received their UHRs on this First Strike Eve.

Thanx!
  • CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    I ordered my $20 Gold High Relief coin Jan 22nd, still "in process" as of today

• << <i>I ordered my $20 Gold High Relief coin Jan 22nd, still "in process" as of today >>

Order number: 30852XXX

Order Date: 01/22/2009 at 03:23 PM

received today via UPS with no sig asked for .
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Have we come to expect so little of our public servants that a mere reply to an email whips us up into a frothy frenzy? image >>

Yes.

• << <i>

<< <i>Have we come to expect so little of our public servants that a mere reply to an email whips us up into a frothy frenzy? image >>

Yes.

image >>

Yes, I like a good frothy frenzy. image
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Talk is cheap, Action is better. Time will tell. image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Actually, I think it's pretty darn admirable that Mr. Moy responded at all. I'm an Ops Manager, which means I have very little time for customer complaints (technically not even my job...we have others who deal with that); so I know how much of a sacrifice it is to step out of Operations and into Customer Support. Usually I jump in during extraordinary situations (like my shipping depot royally screwing the pooch).

To me, his jumping in to personally answer questions is a good business practice (having the top guy personally respond usually evokes..."Wow! I can't believe HE/SHE called/wrote/emailed me!")...and that's something I thought didn't apply to the US Mint...good business practices, that is.

I agree, talk can be cheap...but sometimes it isn't. I too hope for better performance in the future.
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That wasn't Mr. Moy.. His cousin Boc Choy wrote you that letter in the alley somewhere in Hong Kong.image

All kidding aside, I hope this is a sincere response from MR Moy Aka Boc Choy...

I am just wondering if they had some sort of problems with striking this coin? Oh well I wonder what excuse will be next on the horizon when the next cool design comes out..

I wonder why the U.S. wouldn't hire a natural born U.S. citizen to run the mint..

I am in a Wondering mood today.. Sorry. >>

This is at least the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen this attempt at humor from you. You are quite racist, aren't you.
    I may not like Moy and his handling of items, but I am not going to make ethnic jokes at his expense; particularly not with such poor attempts of humor.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Subtitled :

How a YN should write to Santa if he wants some really cool stuff on time
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>Here we are on First Strike Eve, and I still don’t have my UHR even though I ordered within 30 minutes of its release.

The Mint sucks. Mint Boy Moy sucks. Pitney Bowes sucks. All of you are pathetic. None of you can manage your way out of a wet paper bag. Your performances are disgraceful and deplorable.

It amazes me that none of you can ship 30,000 coins in 48 days, or 35 business days since god forbid that you work on a weekend. Most companies would have finished shipping in about a day, maybe two.

Even more sickening than your apathy and disrespect is your lack of communication. It’s incredible! One would think you people were covering up an Alien spacecraft landing.

Unbelievable! Hey, you little monkeys, get with the program, grow up, and grow a pair otherwise resign. You are all an embarrassment to Americans! >>

imron-

500 posts since joining in February? Step away from the keyboard and have a imageimage

Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That wasn't Mr. Moy.. His cousin Boc Choy wrote you that letter in the alley somewhere in Hong Kong.image

Boc Choy!! HAHA Awesome!
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>

This is at least the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen this attempt at humor from you. You are quite racist, aren't you.
    I may not like Moy and his handling of items, but I am not going to make ethnic jokes at his expense; particularly not with such poor attempts of humor. >>

Bochiman you are a pathetic loser.. Who do you think you are coming on a forum and judging people from their context?

I am not a racist period.. End of story on this matter.

Poor jokes or not, you have no place in this world to call someone a racist, you don't know me and I will ask you for the final time to back to F-off.

Now you made me very upset!! You have no right on crossing that line. image

Many members can't stand you and your opinions Bochiman, but if you think you can hide behind you computer, think again.

I pray someone cracks your f-ing head before I get to you.. I thought you were married and had kids. Real men just don't come out of the blue and judge people like you do. I have been on here for more than a year now and you are the only one that keeps you $hit up.

Move on and get your jollies off the correct way in a relationship as married couple do, but don't come on here and accuse me of being a racist in my contexts.

You have crossed a line with no return on this one..

There is something seriously wrong with you and I do feel sorry for family, it must be hell for them to live with you. George. image
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I may not like Moy and his handling of items, but I am not going to make ethnic jokes at his expense; particularly not with such poor attempts of humor. >>

Bochiman you are a pathetic loser.. Who do you think you are coming on a forum and judging people from their context?

I am not a racist period.. End of story on this matter.

Poor jokes or not, you have no place in this world to call someone a racist, you don't know me and I will ask you for the final time to back to F-off.

Now you made me very upset!! You have no right on crossing that line. image

Many members can't stand you and your opinions Bochiman, but if you think you can hide behind you computer, think again.

I pray someone cracks your f-ing head before I get to you.. I thought you were married and had kids. Real men just don't come out of the blue and judge people like you do. I have been on here for more than a year now and you are the only one that keeps you $hit up.

Move on and get your jollies off the correct way in a relationship as married couple do, but don't come on here and accuse me of being a racist in my contexts.

You have crossed a line with no return on this one..

There is something seriously wrong with you and I do feel sorry for family, it must be hell for them to live with you. George. image >>

Say what you will, but plenty of members have met me. I don't hide behind the computer, unlike you.
    Feel sorry for who you will, but start with your own family.

If you aren't racist, then don't post crap like that. It's pathetic! Your posts hold no value. You try for shock value. There are members on here that would likely take offense to what you posted above, but you don't care, do you?

The line for the losers STARTS with you. Go cry yourself to sleep. Try reading your own posts and if you can't find that you post crap racist stuff, then you really are a racist for thinking nothing is wrong with it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder why the U.S. wouldn't hire a natural born U.S. citizen to run the mint.. >>

This isn't necessarily a racist comment of itself. It's certainly xenophobic, what some here might call 'patriotic'.
    What's racist is the context.
    Puerile racist tripe.

It's Howard Stern's fault. Siriusly... he makes too much and we glamorize it.
    So both of you guys go back and remove your posts. Then , let's all hold hands and sing "Kumbaya".

Okay image ?
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job, wish you had mentioned something about all that gold sitting on all those front porches all day long.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's Howard Stern's fault. Siriusly... he makes too much and we glamorize it.
    So both of you guys go back and remove your posts. Then , let's all hold hands and sing "Kumbaya".

Okay image ? >>

mbogoman's thoughtful post certainly deserved better than this.
    I'll go get my guitar.
    This should be transferred to the Precious Moments™ forum. image

• << <i>

<< <i>Here we are on First Strike Eve, and I still don’t have my UHR even though I ordered within 30 minutes of its release.

Unbelievable! Hey, you little monkeys, get with the program, grow up, and grow a pair otherwise resign. You are all an embarrassment to Americans! >>

imron-

500 posts since joining in February? Step away from the keyboard and have a imageimage >>

omg, i can't stop. i'm outta control. i think i'm addicted. do i need help? i gotta get a life. anybody have the number to AA or NA (numismatics anonymous)?? oh right, i have it 1-800-USA-MINT. YIKES!! image

OMG IT'S 510 NOW !!!
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate most people regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, or gender.

EDIT: OH NO 511 ! I WAS SET UP !
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I do like the pukin' punkin' avatar! image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • THANKYOU for writing to them. On behalf of myself who ordered as soon as the site responded, a bit after 12, and got the order complete by 12:30

STILL not even an auth on the card, hasn't been touched. I cancelled some orders to show them how impressed I am with them.
  • I also ordered the first day, at 1:08, and NOTHING has happened.

Moy needs to go sooner than later. He lost control of the Mint LONG before this disaster. Thanks for nothing after all these years.

Mbogoman, thanks for writing to him. Wish I had, maybe I'd have it by now, too - ha ha.
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    thanks for bird dogging this. They have no idea what customer service means, and you are correct that they don't care. I order by 1pm the first day and as of 3/9 I STILL HAVE NO DAMN COIN! The only way to have the problem solved would be to fire all their ignorant A#$%$s.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not prejudice. I hate most people regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, or gender.

EDIT: OH NO 511 ! I WAS SET UP ! >>

PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV

• << <i>This should be transferred to the Precious Moments™ forum. >>

][_, (( )) ][_,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file