Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

(: Colonial Era - 1779 Rhode Island Ship Medal :)

A recent addition... a beautiful bold piece which has all sorts of interesting stories to tell... from the commemorative nature itself to the removal of poorly placed inscriptions (see bold text below).... and hey... it has a ship on it... the chicks always dig that. image

The origin and significance of the Rhode Island Ship Token has long been obscure. It is now thought the idea for this medal was conceived during the second half of 1779, sometime after Spain joined France in declaring war on Britain. The medal was minted in England for distribution throughout the Netherlands, most probably, during the second half of 1780. It commemorated a victory of the British Admiral Richard Howe. During the summer of 1778 Major General John Sullivan, commanding some ten thousand American troops, with the aid of about four thousand French troops under Admiral Comte d'Estaing, tried to take Newport Rhode Island from British control. On August 20, 1778, Admiral Howe defeated d'Estaing's fleet and then headed for Conanicut Island, situated just off the coast of Newport, where the Continental troops were stationed. Hearing of the British advance, the Continental troops were forced to flee from the island and abandon their attack plans.

The obverse of the token depicts Howe's flagship while the reverse shows the American troops fleeing Conanicut Island. These items were sent to the Netherlands as propaganda. The Dutch were sympathetic to the American cause, and the British did not want them to sign an armed neutrality treaty against Britain. In 1779 Russia was protesting the British practice of searching neutral ships on the high seas for items the British considered to be contraband, that is, supplies destine for the rebellious American colonies or any of the allies. At the time the British had blockades against France and Spain, as well as the American colonies, and were boarding all neutral vessels on the high seas that were suspected of trading with any of those countries. In the summer of 1780 Russia persuaded Denmark and Sweden to join in a League of Armed Neutrality against the British inspections; they also made several overtures to Holland to join. In fact, the Dutch island of St. Eustatius in the Caribbean was a center of clandestine (that is, unrestricted) trade with America. Michael Hodder suspects the Rhode Island Ship token was distributed in Holland during the period from the Summer through mid December of 1780 to discourage the Dutch from joining the League. It was hoped this token, showing the hopelessness of the American cause, would influence the Dutch decision. Apparently the propaganda was ineffective, for the Dutch joined the League on December 20, 1780.

Although made in England, the legends on the token are in Dutch. Originally the engraver mistakenly included the word "vlugtende" (fleeing) on the obverse of the coin under the flagship. Clearly this was meant to be on the reverse of the token which depicts the fleeing Continental troops. This error was soon discovered and had to be remedied, as one could easily interpret the obverse to mean the Admiral's flagship was fleeing! The obverse die was recut so that a wreath design replaced the offending word under the flagship. Also, the word "vlugtende" was scrapped off the remaining undistributed stock of the token that already been made.

These tokens were made of brass with a few examples know in pewter. Pewter examples survive for the variety with with vlugente erased but no wreath and for the variety with the wreath. Often Rhode Island Ship tokens are found in circulated condition, suggesting they were used as coins rather than kept as commemorative medals. There is no evidence that these tokens ever circulated in America.

(excerpts from www.coins.nd.edu)

imageimage

-sm

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent piece of history and great coin! image
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Great coin/Great read

i never knew of the removed word.......thanks for posting!

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Thats a dandy!image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    SWEET with a nice pedigree too!!!!! image
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Interesting propaganda piece that almost backfired on the British due to the embarrassing error and if it were not for the creation of this neat looking token this event in History would not be so clearly remembered and lay buried somewhere deep inside a book.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options

Beautiful -

I always have in the back of my mind - must get a RI Ship medal - History, Ship and I live in RI - it has it all for me.

The few I see offered every now and then do not fit my budget image

So I will continue to enjoy seeing those belonging to others image
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One that I always have on my list also (I used to live in RI and am a URI grad). At the EAC convention last year there was a really nice restrike that I thought about getting but passed...might have to think again if I see a nice one...kiddos college usurps getting an original for now!

Thanks for sharing!

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Stack's agreed, which is why they used to include this coin in their old web header . . .
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Great token. And except for stman, who doesn't like a cool story. Thanks for posting.

Also, good to know the chicks dig coins with ships.image
  • Options

<< <i>Stack's agreed, which is why they used to include this coin in their old web header . . . >>

Cool.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Admiraal.....Admiraal.....ya, that does sound better than Admiral
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most definitely a value opportunity! A "once in a lifetime" opportunity!

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice stuff.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Beautiful Example of a Ship Token!

The famous collector and researcher Charles Bushnell had a slightly different view of the origin and purpose of this token. He thought that it was of Dutch origin and in fact was mocking both the US and British as they were aligned with neither at the time. His view that the vlugtende "fleeing" (in Dutch) on the reverse represented the Continentals and Militia fleeing Rhode Island as Howe's armada approached them. On the obverse, the "vlugtende" scratched off the bottom or covered over with a wreath (there is one example that still bears vlugtende-see the Roper Sale) represented Howe's Ship "fleeing" Boston Harbor as Washington captured Dorchester Heights. So in fact, neither side was winning and they (the Dutch) should just stay out. The further speculation was that when the "just stay out of it" token failed to sell in Holland, they just scratched off or repunched the tokens and sold them in England.

Hard to say what was the original intent, and while I don't necessarily believe Bushnell's view...he was no slouch. I guess my point is that Colonials can be so fascinating because they have so many different and sometimes conflicting stories to tell.

Best,

novacaesarea
  • Options
    Oh, I also forgot to mention that this token was once the subject of a "Family Guy" episode! The creator of Family Guy graduated from the Rhode Island School of Design<s>.

novacaesarea
  • Options

<< <i>...Colonials can be so fascinating because they have so many different and sometimes conflicting stories to tell. >>

True!

Thanks for the additional info, novacaesarea.
  • Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Good posting.
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you SpaceMonkey for sharing this lovely piece, and it's history ...

and also to novacaesarea for sharing the other (possible) side of the story

great thread!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Daym ... that is one beautiful coin!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely coin, and thanks for the information, too.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file