Home U.S. Coin Forum

how many silver quarters make up an ounce?

dont have a working scale could someone be so kind to help me?
image I keep a census on Hawaii Error notes, Radars, Repeaters, Hawaii Stars (all denominations), Low serials, 6 of a kind, 7 of a kind, Canceled notes, AC blocks, ZB blocks, FC blocks, Uncut sheets and Late plates. If you have any information you would like to share please PM me. Thanks.image

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each silver quarter has .18 troy ounces of silver. So, my calcs say about 5 1/2 quarters to the troy ounce (silver).

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • thanks image
    image I keep a census on Hawaii Error notes, Radars, Repeaters, Hawaii Stars (all denominations), Low serials, 6 of a kind, 7 of a kind, Canceled notes, AC blocks, ZB blocks, FC blocks, Uncut sheets and Late plates. If you have any information you would like to share please PM me. Thanks.image
  • 6 silver quarters=1.08 troy ounce
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • how many clad equal an ounce?
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how many clad equal an ounce? >>

Who cares??
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • just wondering
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    go to coininflation.com if you have further questions on weight like weight of silver in a half dollar, etc.

Why would you want to know the weight of a clad quarter? Get a scale and weigh it.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea why no one will just tell you the weight instead of telling you to weight it yourself. Someone must have a Red Book (they have the weights listed) or a scale in front of them.

I'm at work, but when I get home I will throw one on my scale and tell you what it says.
    see below post for entire answer and how I worked it out
  • mashmash Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Clad quarters weigh 5.67 grams
    Silver quarters weigh 6.25 grams
    Buying uncut sheets and 1914 stars! message me
    Clad:

A clad quarter weighs 5.67 grams or .19965 ounces. So 5 clad quarters would equal one standard ounce.

Now a 5.67 grams in TROY ounces is 0.182294733 of an ounce so it would take 5.48 clad quarters to make a TROY ounce.

Now for silver:

A SILVER (pre 1964) quarter weighs a total of 6.25 grams, or 0.220462262 standard ounces, so it would take 4.53 silver quarters to weight one standard ounce TOTAL, but keep in mind that only nine tenths of that ounce would actually be silver. (Silver quarters are only 90% silver by weight) It would take take five silver quarters ( a total weight of apprx 1.1 standard ounces) to come up with an ounce of SILVER CONTENT.

Now for Troy Oz (standard measurment for precious metal)

6.25 grams equals 0.200942166 TROY ounces, so it would take 4.97 (call it 5) silver quarters to come up with a weight of 1 TROY OUNCE. Now again, only 90% of that will be silver, so if you want to make a troy ounce of just silver it would take about 5.5 quarters to make a troy ounce of JUST SILVER (1.1 troy ounces total weight)
  • thanks guys
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything changes when they're PO-01.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the estimate of 715 ounces per $1,000 bag of 90% silver allows for a little bit of wear on the coins.

An uncirculated bag, by my calculation, would contain about 724 ounces of pure silver.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• <<A clad quarter weighs 5.67 grams or .19965 ounces. So 5 clad quarters would equal one standard ounce.>>
    According to specs, a clad quarter weighs exactly .2 ounces. Hence, all cupro-nickel clad including dollars = $20 face per pound.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file