Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who would like to see PCGS add a PQ designation?

I would. But I guess it would be tough considering the subjective nature.

Comments

• MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Not me!! One man's PQ is another mans tarnish!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that was the purpose of the CAC sticker.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• I think it would be a horrendous idea.
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    No way; I can determine whether a coin is "PQ" by myself. -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They would find a significant new source of revenue if they decided to add this feature.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks - just grade the coin.
  • It's all about the grade!image
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha

• << <i>They would find a significant new source of revenue if they decided to add this feature. >>

Sure, they would get some re-submissions from people seeking the designation, but by doing so PCGS would be de-valuing any non-PQ coins in their holders and damaging their brand in the process.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you talking PQ from a technical grade standpoint or would it be more of an eye appeal thingy?

• << <i>Are you talking PQ from a technical grade standpoint or would it be more of an eye appeal thingy? >>

Like, take 2 Capped bust halves for example, both grade XF40. One is a perfect medium gray with absolutely no distractions. The other has a few ticks here and there and is an oogly silvery color.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The other has a few ticks here and there and is an oogly silvery color >>

So this would be the PQ right?

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no

Id rather see a CONSISTANT grading on RD RB AND BN copper.

"...oogly silvery color"
    -----
    Define "oogly".

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Keep it the way it is. Otherwise I would have to send back every coin I own for regrading becaue they are all PQ.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a lable with the date PCGS encapsulated it, and the price listed in the price guide at the time it was put in the plastic image

I can grade it myself. Others can determine it's actual value after it gets a image sign put on it !

Edit:
    ooops, I misspelled "label" the first go 'round. image
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO. There are enough grades as it is.
  • I guess it was a bad idea, seems like everyone is against it. How about an ! designation.... ie-- AU50!
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they could bring Rattlers back for a limited run imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

• << <i>How about a lable with the date PCGS encapsulated it, and the price listed in the price guide at the time it was put in the plastic image

I can grade it myself. Others can determine it's actual value after it gets a image sign put on it !

Edit:
    ooops, I misspelled "label" the first go 'round. image >>

I like the idea of date of encapsulation...not the price thing
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Sure and then they CHARGE you for thier opinion
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you talking PQ from a technical grade standpoint or would it be more of an eye appeal thingy? >>

Well, you could have TWO stickers---one for technical grade, and one for eye appeal. Or, maybe three stickers, with a "red bean" sticker for overall grade, and the other two. Wait! I can't see the coin anymore...too many stickers!!image

I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.

<< <i>I guess it was a bad idea, seems like everyone is against it. How about a * designation then image ... Or perhaps an !.... AU50! >>

There are no bad ideas, Rob, but often times we end up with bad results from putting the horse in front of the cart.

Or in this case, putting the sticker on the obverse of the plastic. ( My thought would be to put the CAC sticker on the reverse side of NGC/PCGS encapsulated coins). This way...

Well, nevermind... My ideas are bad, too.

Edit :

Oooops image >>>> I meant putting the cart in front of the horse.
  • WAIT JUST ONE MINUTE HERE BOYS N GIRLS.

Every coin in a PCGS holder from a PO1 to a MS/PR 70 is already PQ

that is why its in the holder to begin with.

you guys need to go get a cup o coffee (lay off the espresso) and take a real long look at your PCGS coins and IF you have any in another (God forbid) holder- COMPARE THEM SIDE BY SIDE. You will see the PQ coin plain and simple.

Enough chatter about adding a moniker to what is already the greatest coin you have or want to have.

PQ schmee que- come on over and we'll have a bar-b-que!

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NO. There are enough grades as it is. >>

PQ is subjective. Grading is (supposed to be) objective.

• << <i>WAIT JUST ONE MINUTE HERE BOYS N GIRLS.

Every coin in a PCGS holder from a PO1 to a MS/PR 70 is already PQ

that is why its in the holder to begin with. >>

I must respectfully disagree... all of them? I have seen some oogley coins in every companies holders, and I have viewed far fewer coins than many people on this board.

"Well, you could have TWO stickers---one for technical grade, and one for eye appeal."
    -----

Define "eye appeal".

~

• I will try to find some examples. brb.
  • I don't see a need for stars or stickers or PQs, there is enough difference of grading opinion to make these worthless, IMO.

How about a plus or minus, such as AU50+ for a strong one or AU50- for one that just edges in...... it doesn't really seem to matter to me. I have several coins in various holders that seem undergraded (or overgraded)by a whole point or two, but the only time this will seem to matter is when I try to resell.

Edited for spelling
  • My coins all became PQ after I submitted them to PCGS for their downgrades---image
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PQ is subjective. Grading is (supposed to be) objective. >>

I had to stop and think about this for several minutes after I read it. I believe it's important for collectors to keep in mind that, no matter how many grading books are published or grading seminars are presented...no matter how much we try to make grading objective like a mathematical equation...grading will always be subjective, just as our own perceptions of beauty are subjective. PQ designations and CAC stickers and anything else we come up with to validate a grade are just added layers of subjectivity.

And that's ok as long as we remember that a grade is really nothing more than an opinion about a coin.

To answer the OP question, I don't think it would be a good idea for PCGS to add a PQ designation. I agree with CCU that PCGS would damage their brand name in the long run.
  • Regular:
    imageimage

PQ:
    imageimage

Why not?

• << <i>Regular:
    imageimage

PQ:
    imageimage

Why not? >>

Of course, you could just look at the two and pick the one you liked better, right?image
  • Yea but what if somebody has orbital pics?

• << <i>Yea but what if somebody has orbital pics? >>

True, but I'd REALLY try to avoid buying like that....with or without a TPG grade.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i'd anty up for "P.Q." before a bean ok and seeing the addition of "P.Q." is more clear then a star

great idea with application that is sound

eye appeal limited by a technical grade does warrant further review by all means

but such a lobby would reduce finding them unattributed as they are now

there's no real need to post examples here or i would but...

some strikes and toners sitting by side by side others in same grade just looks all together wrong...why ngc has star coins...pcgs should have "P.Q." as i'm partial to my coins in pcgs only

most search...and search...and search through alike grades looking for what could be included in a label easing such efforts

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• I guess that if all TPGs had exactly the same standards, year in and year out, a PQ label would probably help. But standards seem to fluctuate, I'm not sure why.....

• << <i>i'd anty up for "P.Q." before a bean ok and seeing the addition of "P.Q." is more clear then a star

great idea with application that is sound

eye appeal limited by a technical grade does warrant further review by all means

but such a lobby would reduce finding them unattributed as they are now

there's no real need to post examples here or i would but...

some strikes and toners sitting by side by side others in same grade just looks all together wrong...why ngc has star coins...pcgs should have "P.Q." as i'm partial to my coins in pcgs only

most search...and search...and search through alike grades looking for what could be included in a label easing such efforts >>

See that's what I'm saying...NGC has the *
    So, why not?

This coin would not get a PQ for the scratch, but would without it.
  • Stars, and stickers, and PQ bears, oh my! image
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who would like to see PCGS add a PQ designation? >>

Not me.

Think of the BS and second-guessing that will cause.

I'll judge my own PQs, thank you very much.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    ok here's my images after all...i'd hate to see these side by side alike grade without address of eye appeal exceeding technical grade limits
    imageimage<<<rd/r/b or brn only????

image<<<toner support

image<<<strike and surface support beyond fh or not fh this looks matte proof like

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• << <i>
    image >>

Wowsers! That's sweet!image
  • As my final note, I just think that I already pay enough for authentication and an opinion. And an opinion that can change each time it is resubmitted is an opinion that doesn't need a PQ focus, as it doesn't seem to be all that solid in the first place.

Just my thoughts.image
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad idea, what would some dealers do with all their PQ stickers??
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Are you talking PQ from a technical grade standpoint or would it be more of an eye appeal thingy? >>

Well, you could have TWO stickers---one for technical grade, and one for eye appeal. Or, maybe three stickers, with a "red bean" sticker for overall grade, and the other two. Wait! I can't see the coin anymore...too many stickers!!image >>

One thing would be that if its solid/PQ for the grade it gets the grade; if not it gets the next one down.
  • That would take away the fun of the hunt for PQ coins image
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------

• << <i>

<< <i>
    image >>

>>

Wow, I often forget how beautiful the SLQ series is because of all the weak strikes and heavy circulation.

GREAT coin!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    image >>

>>

Wow, I often forget how beautiful the SLQ series is because of all the weak strikes and heavy circulation.

GREAT coin! >>

Fine enough to get teenaged boys into collecting image
    i wish it was mine...i always think about sending a pm to the member here that owns it...then i wake up...as something tells me that slq is home

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file