Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

drummer boy Quarters

I am really into paper money collecting and not so much coins but whenever I find bicentennial quarters, silver coins or error coins i put them away. I have over three rolls of bicentennial quarters are they worth anything circulated in rolls?
image I keep a census on Hawaii Error notes, Radars, Repeaters, Hawaii Stars (all denominations), Low serials, 6 of a kind, 7 of a kind, Canceled notes, AC blocks, ZB blocks, FC blocks, Uncut sheets and Late plates. If you have any information you would like to share please PM me. Thanks.image

Comments

• Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    25 cents. The bicentennial quarters, halves and dollars were/are hoarded by a ton of people, mostly non-collectors.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    image so i should just stick to paper
    image I keep a census on Hawaii Error notes, Radars, Repeaters, Hawaii Stars (all denominations), Low serials, 6 of a kind, 7 of a kind, Canceled notes, AC blocks, ZB blocks, FC blocks, Uncut sheets and Late plates. If you have any information you would like to share please PM me. Thanks.image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a few thousand of them back in the early 80's.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>image so i should just stick to paper >>

Not at all. You're doing good by saving the silver. Errors can sell for a wide range depending on what coin it is and to what degree. If you have the extra time, I'd like to see any Lincoln errors you might have.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    The bicentennial quarters have one of the highest mintage's of all quarters and a lot of people saved them. There are plenty to go around.
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

So, lets see some.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    And I have what I think is prolly a bicentennial paper question.

I was given a handful of $2 bill that were never circulated. They were stamped (a 13 cent chemistry stamp) and the postage canceled. The stamp date is from 1976. What the hell do I have and is this something a currency or stamp collector would collect?
    imageRIP
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably hundreds of thousands, and possibly millions of Bicentennial $2 bills had stamps pasted on and canceled by various U.S. post offices on April 13, 1976, which I believe was the first day of their release (Jefferson's birthday). I don't believe very many people collect them. I've seen them sold for face value (of the $2 bill, not the stamp!) image

I used to see ads buying bicentennial quarters for around 28 cents each in quantity. Sounds like a great way to get rich quick!

Trivia note: the 1976-S Bicentennial quarters from the 3-piece silver mint and proof sets are the only quarters ever struck in 40 percent silver composition.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only bicentennmil quarter with a significant premium in circulated grade is a DDO worth about $1100 in XF/ AU.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And I have what I think is prolly a bicentennial paper question.

I was given a handful of $2 bill that were never circulated. They were stamped (a 13 cent chemistry stamp) and the postage canceled. The stamp date is from 1976. What the hell do I have and is this something a currency or stamp collector would

I believe april 13th was the first day of issue for the deuce or state flag stamps and people tried to complete the state collection with a cancellation from each state.on the first day of issue.. don't know about the chemistry stamp though
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    thank you for beating me into submission
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The only bicentennmil quarter with a significant premium in circulated grade is a DDO worth about $1100 in XF/ AU. >>

Yes, it's definitely worth looking for that one - - please note it is a D mint coin.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another one I need to look for.. and I have a whole box of these..... work, work, work... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another one I need to look for.. and I have a whole box of these..... work, work, work... image Cheers, RickO >>

That 1976-D DDO (the wide DDO) is very marketable (although at some number well below $1100).

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

One of my favorites, even though it's only "worth a quarter".image

• Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    you can send them to me for 12 bucks a roll image
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a dealer who advertises in Coin World offering $11.50 per roll for circs (also 40 cents apiece for 1966 quarters). Cinman14's offer of $12 per roll for the Bicentennials beats them.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options

<< <i>There's a dealer who advertises in Coin World offering $11.50 per roll for circs (also 40 cents apiece for 1966 quarters). Cinman14's offer of $12 per roll for the Bicentennials beats them.

Jim >>

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [

I have to say that whenever I open a post I scroll down to see if there are any interesting images, then I start reading........
    And, it never fails that when I see an off the wall image I don't even have to look at who the person wasimage
    Also you have never let me down!!!
    Thanks

Stefanie
  • Options
    [URL=http://www.slide.com/s/ID0ZE1wK5D93LG9kGTaPdgUVthKf8bkG?referrer=hlnk]image[/URL]

[URL=http://www.slide.com/s/ZMQvGjR83D8zu8QqU34A1ZdGbn_2ncF8?referrer=hlnk]image[/URL]

Robb these are some. The others arn't on the computer yet. Sorry about the hair on the one.
  • Options
    I used to throw aside well struck hi grade bi-centennial quarters. I noticed a up surge in circulation when the state quarters first came out. I think people were liquidating their hordes to save the state quarters. I hardly ever see a bi-centennial these days.
  • Options
    I don't know if it is just me but I have been coming across a larger amount of bi-centennial coins in the last four months. Seven from change from different places. An the registers at work have at least one every few rolls. Okay seven from circ. may not seem a lot but before that I was avg. two a year. I am assuming this is from people deciding to cash in their coins. For a while it seemed all I got was statehood quarters now the rolls at work have a majority of eagles. I have been seeing nickels from the 40,50's, and 60's. A few wheat cents and dimes are to small for me just to glance to them.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know if it is just me but I have been coming across a larger amount of bi-centennial coins in the last four months. Seven from change from different place. An the registers at work have at least one every few rolls. Okay seven may not seem a lot but before that I was avg. two a year. I am assuming this is from people deciding to cash in their coins. For a while it seemed all I got was statehood quarters now the rolls at work have a majority eagles. I have been seeing nickels from the 40,50's, and 60's. A few wheat cents and dimes are to small for me just to glance to them. >>

In this area the number of bicentennial quarters started increasing in 1999
    and continued right up until a couple years ago. At that time it looked like
    nearly two thirds of the production was in pocket change but they were al-
    most all XF/ AU. In the last couple years (especially recently) they've been
    dropping again. There are still a lot out there compared to ten years ago.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Listed as one of the 10 most wanted coins in this month's COINage thought I'm not sure why...
    imageRIP
  • Options

<< <i>Listed as one of the 10 most wanted coins in this month's COINage thought I'm not sure why... >>

I'm not either.

I do know this coin is extremely underappreciated in gem condition. It is far more common
    in high grade than most other clad quarters of the era but that just means there are a few
    thousand rather than a few hundred. There are large numbers of US type coin collectors
    and not nearly enough that they can all have a gem. Plus there are rapidly growing numbers
    of modern collectors and some of them will want a gem of this coin. With the size of the po-
    tential demand coupled with evidence that there has been almost no demand to date the im-
    plication seems to be that it belongs on some sort of list. ...Maybe not this one, though.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got one in change today.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Listed as one of the 10 most wanted coins in this month's COINage thought I'm not sure why... >>

I'm not either.

I do know this coin is extremely underappreciated in gem condition. It is far more common
    in high grade than most other clad quarters of the era but that just means there are a few
    thousand rather than a few hundred. There are large numbers of US type coin collectors
    and not nearly enough that they can all have a gem. Plus there are rapidly growing numbers
    of modern collectors and some of them will want a gem of this coin. With the size of the po-
    tential demand coupled with evidence that there has been almost no demand to date the im-
    plication seems to be that it belongs on some sort of list. ...Maybe not this one, though. >>

It's funny how collectors say their are no extra premium on the circulated coins. Yet I can't seem
    to find a seller at 12 dollars a roll plus shipping...image Go fiqure
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only bicentennmil quarter with a significant premium in circulated grade is a DDO worth about $1100 in XF/ AU. >>

now you've got my attention.

I dont have a cherry pickers guide handy. Got any pictures?
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options

<< <i>

now you've got my attention.

I dont have a cherry pickers guide handy. Got any pictures? >>

If I recall the doubling is easiest to see on the LIBERTY and is east. I've seen very few offered but they have been over $1000 even in circulated grades.

This is another of those moderns that is certain to be common but a mere handfull are known to exist. I used to think they'd eventually turn up in well worn condition but I'm starting to doubt it.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I'm going to have to check mine and see what I may have hiding in the rolls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file