Home U.S. Coin Forum

The NGC star and MS Franklins.

SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
Almost 2 years ago I stumbled upon a 1949-S MS65*FBL Franklin at a small local show. I was seriously pumped, and looked at the NGC census to find out how rare * Franklins were. I figured that 1958-D's would be the most common, with maybe 1957-D's and 1956's right up there. What really intrigued me was to see how rare these puppies were. Here's something I wrote on the TCCS forums at the time, (7/31/06)...

"I was at a local coin show this weekend and stumbled upon a 1949-S Frankie in NGC MS 65*FBL. It was a date/mintmark that I needed, so for a mixture of a 1947 Walker and some cash it was purchased. '49-S's are a tough coin to find with toning, so it is not a spectacular piece..., but the coin is pretty for the date/mintmark. Anyhow, I knew that * Frankies are few and far between, but, being bored on a saturday night, I checked out/compiled the NGC stats. There are a total of 65,360 MS and 13,194 MSFBL Frankies graded at NGC (in this case MS includes all the circulated grades too), a grand total of 78,554 Frankies. For all these tens of thousands of Frankies there are 134 MS* and 62 MS*FBL Frankies, a grand total of 196 * Frankies for the whole series. To put it another way, for every THOUSAND Frankies graded at NGC aproximately 2.5 will get a star and less than 0.8 will get a star FBL. It really brought home to me just how difficult it is to find a nicely toned Frankie, particularly with FBL."

Anyhow, yesterday I decided to see what has happened in the intervening ~ 2 years. Using yesterday's (6/15/08) current census report there are now 72,872 non-fbl and 16,139 FBL Frankies graded, for a grand total of 89,011. Of these there are 173 non-fbl* and 77 FBL* Frankies, for a grand total of 250. The absolute percent has changed a bit, but is still EXCEEDINGLY small. To put it another way, during this time span there were 7,512 non-fbl Frankies graded with 39 getting a star... roughly 0.52% There were 2,945 FBL's graded with 15 getting a star, again roughly 0.51%. In essence for roughly every 200 Frankies graded 1 will get a star.

Oh, and while the 1958-D was the most common, it now numbers 49 total stars, e.g. ~20% of all starred Frankies, the other top five most common dates rather surprised me (except for the '58-P). In order after the '58-D (49) they were; '53-S (25), '52-S (16), '49-S (15) and '58 (13). Almost 2/3 of all stars come from just 7 date/mm's (e.g. 1/5 of the date/mm's).

And I suppose we ought to have a starred Franklin on this post, so here is the 1949-S (MS65*FBL).

Comments

• GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    The star designation is a funny thing. Sometimes they give them out and sometimes they don't. I've seen some fairly unspecial coins with a star, and some true stunners without them.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Very intriguing.

While some stars deserve recognition there have been some that made me scratch my head. As well as some non stars that definitely deserve some more attention.

That said, if they catch most of them with consistency then your analysis looks pretty good. I agree that there are only a handful of Frankies that truly stand out.
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    While most of the starred MS Franklins are designated so because of the toning, there are some that are blast white with semi PL to PL surfaces. I handled a blast white 1954-D (I think that was the date) MS65FBL * at CSNS a couple of months ago, and helped get one of a'49-S MS66FBL * into a MS66FBL PL holder.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845

<< <i>Almost 2 years ago I stumbled upon a 1949-S MS65*FBL Franklin at a small local show. I was seriously pumped, and looked at the NGC census to find out how rare * Franklins were. I figured that 1958-D's would be the most common, with maybe 1957-D's and 1956's right up there. What really intrigued me was to see how rare these puppies were. Here's something I wrote on the TCCS forums at the time, (7/31/06)...

"I was at a local coin show this weekend and stumbled upon a 1949-S Frankie in NGC MS 65*FBL. It was a date/mintmark that I needed, so for a mixture of a 1947 Walker and some cash it was purchased. '49-S's are a tough coin to find with toning, so it is not a spectacular piece..., but the coin is pretty for the date/mintmark. Anyhow, I knew that * Frankies are few and far between, but, being bored on a saturday night, I checked out/compiled the NGC stats. There are a total of 65,360 MS and 13,194 MSFBL Frankies graded at NGC (in this case MS includes all the circulated grades too), a grand total of 78,554 Frankies. For all these tens of thousands of Frankies there are 134 MS* and 62 MS*FBL Frankies, a grand total of 196 * Frankies for the whole series. To put it another way, for every THOUSAND Frankies graded at NGC aproximately 2.5 will get a star and less than 0.8 will get a star FBL. It really brought home to me just how difficult it is to find a nicely toned Frankie, particularly with FBL."

Anyhow, yesterday I decided to see what has happened in the intervening ~ 2 years. Using yesterday's (6/15/08) current census report there are now 72,872 non-fbl and 16,139 FBL Frankies graded, for a grand total of 89,011. Of these there are 173 non-fbl* and 77 FBL* Frankies, for a grand total of 250. The absolute percent has changed a bit, but is still EXCEEDINGLY small. To put it another way, during this time span there were 7,512 non-fbl Frankies graded with 39 getting a star... roughly 0.52% There were 2,945 FBL's graded with 15 getting a star, again roughly 0.51%. In essence for roughly every 200 Frankies graded 1 will get a star.

Oh, and while the 1958-D was the most common, it now numbers 49 total stars, e.g. ~20% of all starred Frankies, the other top five most common dates rather surprised me (except for the '58-P). In order after the '58-D (49) they were; '53-S (25), '52-S (16), '49-S (15) and '58 (13). Almost 2/3 of all stars come from just 7 date/mm's (e.g. 1/5 of the date/mm's).

And I suppose we ought to have a starred Franklin on this post, so here is the 1949-S (MS65*FBL).

image >>

I WILL GIVE YOU 1000$ FOR IT
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I WILL GIVE YOU 1000$ FOR IT"

Are you serious???? Cheers, RickO
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"I WILL GIVE YOU 1000$ FOR IT"

Are you serious???? Cheers, RickO >>

Yes, RickO, he is. This coin is way different from your normal '49-S and is fully starworthy for the date/mm, which is why I was so amazed when I found it at a small local show...

Paul, I REALLY appreciate the offer, but I'm going to turn you down, simply because I like how it looks in my Frankie set... something I'm sure you can understand.
  • OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    In my opinion, that coin is fully deserving of its star!!!

Nice analysis regarding the % of star frankie's to the total graded population. It is shocking to discover the population is sooo small.

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
    SO let's mark it sold then ?image
  • JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>

<< <i>Almost 2 years ago I stumbled upon a 1949-S MS65*FBL Franklin at a small local show. I was seriously pumped, and looked at the NGC census to find out how rare * Franklins were. I figured that 1958-D's would be the most common, with maybe 1957-D's and 1956's right up there. What really intrigued me was to see how rare these puppies were. Here's something I wrote on the TCCS forums at the time, (7/31/06)...

image >>

I WILL GIVE YOU 1000$ FOR IT >>

That's really strange. When I first saw the picture of that coin, I thought to myself "I'd give him $1000 for it.

John
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
    O.K. , O.K. .........I'll go 1100.00
  • mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165

<< <i>The star designation is a funny thing. Sometimes they give them out and sometimes they don't. I've seen some fairly unspecial coins with a star, and some true stunners without them. >>

Very, very true. I have a 1949 Franklin that is one of the nicest toned (non 57/58) Franklins I have seen and twice it has been to NGC and no star. And nothing against the op's coin (it is very attractive) it blows his coin away.

morris
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
    Mr. Peltin knows nice frankiesimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen some fairly unspecial coins with a star, and some true stunners without them.

Amen to that!!!

• YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    The only star nowadays is Tiger Woods, what a treat. I thinking of having Tiger pick out some coins for me,image
  • The actual number of starred Frankies out there is even smaller than the pop reports indicates.

I have crossed over several stars to PCGS holders just to free them from that crappy white plastique, and I am surely not alone.

edit: Here is one that was starred.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • great post, very informative
    -Rome is Burning

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the numbers breakdown, very interesting. Nice Franklin also!
    I will not give you $1000 for it however. image
    Lovely '52-S, Bushie!

<< <i>

<< <i>The star designation is a funny thing. Sometimes they give them out and sometimes they don't. I've seen some fairly unspecial coins with a star, and some true stunners without them. >>

Very, very true. I have a 1949 Franklin that is one of the nicest toned (non 57/58) Franklins I have seen and twice it has been to NGC and no star. And nothing against the op's coin (it is very attractive) it blows his coin away.

morris >>

O.K. Morris: 500$ for yours !

<< <i>O.K. , O.K. .........I'll go 1100.00 >>

....I mean $ 1200.00

<< <i>

<< <i>O.K. , O.K. .........I'll go 1100.00 >>

....I mean $ 1200.00 >>

Paul, I gotta' tell you, it made me laugh to open up this thread again and find your comment.

Oh, and Morris, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you had a nicer looking 1949 that doesn't have a star, than my 1949-S. I agree with everyone else, I've seen my fair share of coins that shouldn't have a star that have one, and ones that should have a star that don't. I've got several NGC Franklins that should have a star that don't, including date/mm's that are MUCH tougher to find nicely toned than 1949 Phillys. Here's a 1949-D in MS65 that I bought 15-20 years ago that IMHO I've yet to see a finer toner of that date/mm, and it didn't even get an FBL, much less a star when I sent it in for designation review. Needless to say, I verbally expressed myself when I got it back from designation review about a year ago and it hadn't gotten either designation...

So, Paul, your last bid on this one was $2,000. Are you gonna' up that too? image

Sky...........you throw in the 48-D ; and toss in the 49-S Star .........

I`ll go 4000 $ image
  • What do you think of my NGC 65*? He just arrived today. image Thanks for the Compliments Guys!
    imageimage
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    That 58D is beeyootiful CB!
    CB2597 that is a very pretty Franklinimage
  • JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    Now what should get a star is an undipped, WHITE 49 Philly in gem FBL.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
    Dang, CB, all I'm getting is a little red X. I bet it's sweet!
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you think of my NGC 65*? He just arrived today. image Thanks for the Compliments Guys!
    imageimage >>

I would like to splice it to the reverse of mine

LCoopie = Les
  • Lcoopie. If only that is possible that would be SWEET!!! image

Cool Reverse image
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool obverse CB, but no star for me

LCoopie = Les
  • Would have given that Reverse a Star if it was up to me. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji