Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jesse Ketchum US Mint medal Questions

Questions about the Jesse Ketchum medals

A few quick facts:
1. Jesse Ketchum was a philanthropist who gave away much of his wealth to the Buffalo, NY schools.
2. The Jesse Ketchum medals in 3 metals (gold, silver, bronze), and in 2 sizes (49 mm, 36mm) were awarded to Buffalo public school students starting in 1873; over 12,000 have been awarded.
3. William Barber and Charles Barber were the engravers at the US Mint.
4. In the book, “Medals of the United States Mint”, F.W. Julian refers to the Jesse Ketchum medals as: sc-14 (36 mm); and sc-15 (49 mm)

Questions:
1. Although the Jesse Ketchum medals are still being awarded in 2005, they are now ordered from a trophy company, not the US Mint. When was the last year that the US Mint minted Jesse Ketchum medals? My guess is 1949.
2. The finish of the silver and gold medals seems to have abruptly changed from 1925 to 1926. Starting in 1926, both the gold (1926-1933) and silver (1926-1949) medals of both sizes have a dull Matte finish. The silver medals from 1926 to 1949 do not acquire an overall black patina (unless the medals have been excessively rubbed. The engraved medal numbers for the gold medals (from 1926 to 1933) are very shiny, and the engraved medal numbers for the silver medals (1926-1949) are black (patina). What is the nature of this finish; was it common on other US Mint medals? [From 1873 to 1925, the gold medals were coin gold (90% gold), and the silver medals were coin silver (90% silver).]
3. Around 1934, the metal content of the gold medals changed again to, I think, gold plated silver. In what exact year did the metal content of the gold medals change? What was the new metal content of the gold medals? I think 1934, and gold-plated silver.
4. Were the numbers “in exergue” on the medals engraved at the US Mint, or would they have been engraved elsewhere?
5. Where are the two dies (36 mm, 49 mm) now?
6. There is a die crackline at 3:00 o’clock on the medal number side for many of the 49 mm medals (silver and gold). From my observations, there is no crackline for the 1873 medals, there is for medals from 1880 to 1929, and there seems to be no crackline for 49 mm medals from 1930 to 1949. In what year did the crackline appear (1874-1880?), and in what year did it disappear (1930?), presumably from repair of the die?

DrSynergy00001`

Comments

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting questions. I have a feeling that some of the answers simply don't exist any more, but I'd be interested in what you find. A few comments:

2) Are you sure that the gold medals were coin gold (90%) rather than fine gold (.999)? Julian says that most US Mint gold medals were struck in fine gold, not coin gold. Have you had specimens tested? FWIW, Stack's identified the gold specimen they sold as 24K.

2) The black numbers are not the result of a patina, but are intentionally colored.

3) It should be very easy to identify gold-plated silver by weight, if you have known gold and known silver medals to compare to...

4) I would be rather surprised if the numbers were engraved at the mint.

6) What is this funny number "two" that you mention? I would expect that there were several dies used to produce these medals. For the large version, there are at least three dies. Early numbers have small letters and an unsigned obverse (this is seen in the bronze specimen just sold by Heritage). Middle numbers have large letters with a small "B" below the bust (this is the die with the 3:00 crack). Later numbers have large letters with no signature. You probably have more specimens than most anyone else does at this point; you might be able to identify other differences.

6) When was the medal numbered 144 issued? That one is plated in the Stack's 1991 FPL. It appears to have the start of a crack, but much weaker than later versions.
  • Options
    jonathonb: Thanks for all of the info. I think that you can tell from how I express myself that I am a true amateur at coin/medal collecting; I only collect Jesse Ketchum medals. Here are a few quick replies to some of your comments; I am going to look at my collection for some of the other answers. I am hoping that coindeuce will join this discussion, since, I guess, the two of us have two of the three largest JK medal collections at this time.

The 49 mm number 144 medal was awarded in 1879 to Katie Bell in 10th grade at School #24. I have one 1873 strike that does not have the die crackline. And, I have a 49 mm #168 from 1880 that does have a hint of the crackline. So, I guess that the die crack goes at least as far back as 1979. I agree that the crack becomes more pronounced, year by year, to 1929.

The records of the Jesse Ketchum Memorial Fund are very specific about the gold and silver medals being made from coin gold (90%) and coin silver (90%). I have not had any medals tested for metal content (with the exception below). I imagine that this is one of the exceptions that bJulian refers to.

On the black engraved exergue numbers from both the 36 mm and 49 mm medals from 1926 to 1949, I was assuming that the coating prevented the tarnishing of the silver on the coated medals, but that the stamping of the number in exergue, exposed the metal under the stamp to the atmosphere, and destroyed that little bit of coating. That would explain the black numbers on the silver medals, and the shiny gold numbers on the matte gold medals. However, I am just speculating. If there was a tradition of somehow painting these numbers black on the silver medals, I would like to know more about the process.

I did weigh the gold-plated medals, and also took a rough measure of the thicknesses with a micrometer. The densities are consistent with silver; the thin outside plated layer is gold (I had one tested for just the outside layer). Interestingly, there is a huge variation in the thicknesses of the medals from year to year for both the silver and gold medals.

I am going to look back at why I assumed there were only two dies, one 36 mm and one 49 mm. You are quite right, since I have the actual specimens, and access to photomicrography, I should have no excuse for making an error on this point.

Thanks again for all of your input.
    DrSynergy00001`
  • Options
    jonathonb: I examined carefully 13 of the 49mm medals, and I found the three distinct patterns that you mentioned, which implies three different dies for the 49 mm medals. The first pattern is from 1873 to less than 1879; short lettering, no B signature under the bust of JK. The second pattern is from around 1879 to at least 1933; taller lettering, a B signature below the bust of JK. The diecrack at 3:00 o'clock is present from years about 1879 to 1929, then disappears from about 1930 onwards. The third pattern is from at least 1937, perhaps sooner (1934?); there is no B signature under the bust of JK, and the lettering is still tall but thinner than in the second pattern. I wonder if the die for the second pattern was first repaired, and then replaced a few years later?

I need to perform a careful inspection of my complete collection before making any further conclusions. However, from the info that you have already provided to me, I should be able to make my book much more interesting regarding the appearing and disappearing B signature and diecrack, and the changes in fonts from short and thick to tall and thick to tall and thin. Several series by award date of highly magnified digital photos of key medals should tell an interesting story.

Thanks again.image
    DrSynergy00001`
  • Options
    Dr. synergy,

I just recently found your posts while doing some research on Jesse Ketchum medals. My sisters and I found what I presume is a small bronze JK medal while clearing out our mother's house following her recent passing. Neither of us knew what it was at the time but I have since learned that they were (or still are) academic achievement awards from the Buffalo, New York school system. This makes sense to us since both our mother and father grew up in Buffalo and graduated from Lafayette High School there. The medal we have is number 1716 and comes in what I presume is it's original presentation box. The box is marked "T&E Dickinson Buffalo, N.Y."on the inside of the lid. Any info you could provide regarding this medal would be most gratefully appreciated.
    MEL023
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

DrSynergy or Mel023, do you have the ability to post images to this thread?
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr. Synergy is the most knowledgeable collector of these, and has a master list of the awardee names that correlate to the number on the medal. Are you certain that the medal is bronze? Most of the small diameter JK medals were silver.

Numisma, if you do a search of my posts in U.S. Coins, there are images of one of mine in the archives.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    DrSynergy March 08, 2008
    Questions:
    4. Were the numbers “in exergue” on the medals engraved at the US Mint, or would they have been engraved elsewhere?

The mint records do not mention any numbering so it can safely be assumed that this was done at Buffalo.

Denga

• Options
    Coindeuce,
    I'm not at all certain it's bronze. I just presumed it was given how dark it is, especially after reading one of Dr. Synergy's posts that mentioned the silver medals being coated to prevent them from turning dark. However, it's possible I mis-read that particular post. Also, I would guess it's date to be something around 1943-44 if it was a middle school award or possibily 1945-46 if it was a high school award. It all depends on whether it was my mother's or father's. All these unknowns are the big reason I'd like to get in touch with Dr. S. It sounds like he could give my siblings and I the answers we're looking for.
    MEL023
  • Options
    You can contact DrSynergy through this website
    Images of your medals would be appreciated here, if possible. The images below are of a pair of the silver strikes, SC-14(35 mm) and SC-15(49 mm).

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    I'll try to post a photo or two of the medal we have. I'm not very experienced at doing that so it might take me more than one try to get it right. In the mean time, aside from the color, the medal we have looks exactly like the one on the left in your photo. Same style of bust of JK and same seated figure holding a wreath over a kneeling youth. Only where yours is marked "3572", ours is marked "1716" The "7" has a very pronounced right-hand serif at the bottom. The color is "almost" like you'd find on a bronze sculpture at an art museum. Also, besides the medal, there is a piece of white ribbon in the presentation box which is approximately 24" x 1 1/2". Does this have any connection to the medal or is it a separate issue? Do you know what the motto means? Obviously, the 2nd and 3rd words are "God" and "Discipline". but how does "Dedit" translate?
    MEL023
  • Options
    The Latin phrase "Dedit Deus Disciplinam" translates to "God Has Given Learning" a phrase that would be forbidden on a public school award medal in today's atmosphere of political correctness. The numbering on your medal indicates to me that it may have been awarded during the period in which DrSynergy believes that the medals were gilt silver. The box is the original presentation box. I believe the name of the jeweler on the box may provide a clue to the source of the post Mint numbering on the medals.

• Options

Obviously, the 2nd and 3rd words are "God" and "Discipline". but how does "Dedit" translate?

In the context of the Jesse Ketchum medals, DEDIT DEUS DISCIPLINAM translates to "dedicated to God and education."
  • Options
    I was paraphrasing Julian on the Latin translation.

• Options

<< <i>I was paraphrasing Julian on the Latin translation. >>

coindeuce, it looks like we posted at about the same time and I did not see your post until after I hit the reply button. As with most Latin translations, opinions will vary, but should be similar.
  • Options
    Julian also translated the motto on the larger medal "Sapiens Erit Sapientior" to "The wise will be wiser".image

• Options

<< <i>Julian also translated the motto on the larger medal "Sapiens Erit Sapientior" to "The wise will be wiser".image >>

Well, at least we were closer on that one. I translate that to "the wise become wiser."
  • Options
    Unfortunately, my antiquated email system tries to connect to Outlook when I click on Mr. Greco's contact icon on his website. Could you please post his email address here so I could contact him? Or would that be a violation of the rules? Remember, I'm a newbie so I don't know everything that's allowed or not.
    MEL023
  • Options
    Sorry about the delay in responding. After I had established the thread, I hadn't seen any further responses for about 3 weeks, so I stopped checking everyday. [And, I had thought that I was supposed to be notified by email when the thread had a response; perhaps, I didn't click some option when I established the thread.]

The 1716 small (1 3/8" dia) silver medal is from 1914 and was awarded to Agnes A. Birtch, 45 B Street, for top scholar in 7th grade at public school number 24. Since this is before 1926, the medal should be coin silver (90% silver), should weigh about 1 troy oz (although there is wide variation among medals in weight), with no coating. It is likley that it has a black patina.

Some bronze small medals (1 3/8 ") were awarded in 1946-1947 for 7th grade; then only bronze small medals have been awarded from 1950 to the present. A few small and large (1 7/8") bronze medals were minted in 1873 and for a few years afterwards, according to Julian, but were never awarded to students. They have no number in exergue. These early bronze medals have a chocolate bronze appearance; whereas, the later bronze medals were shiny when awarded. It is likely that the bronze medals from 1950 onwards were simply cast by a trophy company. The Jesse Ketchum Memorial Fund's main minutes book (for which I was luckily given permission to photograph) is, unfortunately, close to silent on this issue.

I think that I am gaining more knowledge about the JK medal than I am providing. I was convinced to take Julian's word as gospel on the translations of the Latin phrases. Now I am thinking that I must seek out a Latin scholar and present him/her with the possiblities recorded in this thread. Many thanks for this info.

Cheers
    DrSynergy00001`
  • Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    DrSynergy April 17, 2008

I think that I am gaining more knowledge about the JK medal than I am providing. I was convinced to take Julian's word as gospel on the translations of the Latin phrases. Now I am thinking that I must seek out a Latin scholar and present him/her with the possiblities recorded in this thread. Many thanks for this info.

The translations were done by a Latin scholar, not the author of the book.

Denga
  • Options
    If DrSynergy would enable his Private Message (PM) function from his profile, he could receive correspondence directly at this forum.

• Options
    I agree, that would be most helpful. But since that doesn't seem to be a viable option and my Netscape based e-mail system doesn't seem compatible with his Outlook based sytem, I don't know what my options might be at this point. May I ask for your suggestions?
    MEL023
  • Options
    I just turned the private message reply toggle on in my profile. MEL023, did you see my last message with the info ion your medal?
    DrSynergy00001`
  • Options
    DrSynergy,
    On behalf of myself and my family I would like to offer my most effusive thanks for the info on the Ketchum medal we have in our possession. The recipient you named would be my mother's mother (or my maternal grandmother). The medal is currently quite dark in color which is why I had thought initially that it was one of the small bronze awards. And add to that my ignorance of their specifications. Is there a way of restoring it to it's appearance at the time it was given to my Grandmother? And without ruining it in any way I might add. Thanks again for the info and in advance on the suggestions for cleaning it.
    MEL023
  • Options
    MEL023,
    It is my strong opinion that old medals should be left alone with their patina intact. However, since the JK medal is silver, I suppose that ordinary silver cleaner should shine the silver medal to look like new. But, I don't recommend cleaning the medal. I wouldn't think of cleaning any of my own medals. I am working on a website and book on the JK medal. I hope to have these completed in a year or so. Over 12,000 medals have been awarded since 1873. Many of the awardees and/or their descendants are quite proud of the achievement that lead to the award.
    DrSynergy00001`
  • Options
    DrS,
    Both of my parents are deceased as are both sets of grandparents. If there is anything that sticks in my mind in regards to my Mother and Father, it was their strong belief in a good education. Given that my mother's mother was a Jesse Ketchum awardee I can see how that belief runs in the family. I think my sisters and brother and I would have done my Grandmother proud. All of us are college graduates and 3 of us have master's degrees - 2 MBAs and 1 Master's of Health Management. Now that we know what this item is, it will take it's proper place as an heirloom of the family. As such, is this something that we should look into having insured on a homeowner's policy such as on a "valuables" rider? We may now know what it is but we still have no idea what it's worth, aside from it's sentimental value as something that came from our Grandmother.
    MEL023
  • Options
    The sentimental family value far, far outweighs the current medal value. I typically buy the small silver medals for $50 and the large silver medals for $70, and the small bronze medals for $40. The average selling price on Ebay for these medals is about the same. Dealers typically pay half of these amounts, or less. The small silver medals contain about 1 troy oz of 90% silver, the large silver medals, about 2 troy oz of 90% silver. So, I recommend hanging on to the medal, but the medal (and metal) value approximates only a full or partial tank of gas!!
    DrSynergy00001`
  • Options
    Thanks once again for the info. Neither my siblings nor I knew if this needed to covered with insurance or not. It looks like in goes in the display cabinet next to the stopwatch my father used while flying for the USAF. Nothing spectacular in it but all items with loads of sentimental value.
    MEL023
  • Options
    Hi: I came across this thread while trying to research the recipient of a Ketchum medal that I own. Does anyone have a current address for drsynergy? thanks
  • Options
    The email address for DrSynergy: rosgreco@hotmail.com

• Options

I’m trying to figure out where I can get a master list of Ketchum award winners. More specifically, I’m trying to determine what year my mother received hers. I think it was probably the early 40s but I’m not sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file