Home U.S. Coin Forum

(: By Popular Demand - Making my Coin Templates Available - Download Here - MORE TEMPLATES ADDED :)

I have received many requests for this... so for all you photoshop junkies... I have posted the template I created for OBV/REV coins. Feel free to use & figure out.... It is a Photoshop Layered PSD file.

*** UPDATE ***
MORE TEMPLATES UPLOADED for you guys to play with... See Samples of them below... note the samples shown here are not editable... just examples... download the linked Photoshop files for use. Enjoy!

and as you play with feel free to post here... let's see what you got!

Coin Template #1

Coin Template #2

Coin Template #3

Coin Template #4

Coin Template #5

Coin Template #6

Coin Template #7

Coin Template #8

Coin Template #9

Coin Template #1 - LARGE FORMAT (With Title)

Coin Template #1 - LARGE FORMAT (No Title)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-sm

Comments

• Cool, thanks. image
    aka Dan

• << <i>I have received many requests for this... so for all you photoshop junkies... I have posted the template I created for OBV/REV coins. Feel free to use & figure out.... It is a Photoshop Layered PSD file.
    Coin Template -sm >>

Thank you!
    I am serious! and don't call me Shirley
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks...Spacemonkey...but I'm not willing to spend $199 to purchase Adobe photo shop just to be able to download your image..
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    thanks for your kind gesture....

i will need to look at this on my home 'puter that has PS2 on it....

Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Wish I had photoshop......saw Bruce use the template with his taco bell napkin coin and it's too sweet!!!
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Questions,

What is the size of the coins to be put in Layer 28?

If we paste something in place of this will everything else fill out or do we have to crop and past the mirror parts two?

Thanks ahead of time. image

• << <i>Questions,

If we paste something in place of this will everything else fill out or do we have to crop and past the mirror parts two?

Thanks ahead of time. image >>

when you paste the coin you will need to scale it to fit (use transform under the edit menu)... you need to do for both the OBV and REV
    you can then delete the template coin layers (grey circles) or just leave if you can't see them any ways.

for the mirrors... once the 2 coin layers are set... merge the 2 together (select both... and go to Layers/Merge Layers)
    then duplicate the new merged layer... do a transform again and flip vertically... then move into position and lastly change the "transfer mode" to "overlay"

-sm

<< <i>

<< <i>Questions,

when you paste the coin you will need to scale it to fit (use transform under the edit menu)... you need to do for both the OBV and REV
    you can then delete the template coin layers (grey circles) or just leave if you can't see them any ways.

for the mirrors... once the 2 coin layers are set... merge the 2 together (select both... and go to Layers/Merge Layers)
    then duplicate the new merged layer... do a transform again and flip vertically... then move into position and lastly change the "transfer mode" to "overlay"

-sm >>

Ok, you realize it will take me a week to figure out what you just said. image
  • Thank you, now I have to figure out how to use it! I bought Elements for Christmas but seem to be in over my head with it so far image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Questions,

-sm >>

Ok, you realize it will take me a week to figure out what you just said. image >>

lol, that's ok... like i said... "photoshop junkies"! so proceed at your own risk! but really... not hard at all... even if it does take a week.. the next time you do it would be 2 days... the 2 hours... then 2 min... as they say practice makes perfect!

good luck

-sm

<< <i>

<< <i>Questions,

-sm >>

OK, I got to the part where I merged the obverse and reverse then duplicated. When I do the second transform what am I doing? (Free, Skew, Distort and Perspective) Some how I need to match the smaller half crescents.

I have elements and not photoshop where do I change transfer mode to overlay?

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Questions,

-sm >>

OK, I got to the part where I merged the obverse and reverse then duplicated. When I do the second transform what am I doing? (Free, Skew, Distort and Perspective) Some how I need to match the smaller half crescents.

I have elements and not photoshop where do I change transfer mode to overlay? >>

just do "FLIP VERTICAL" and move into position.
    when you change the TRANSFER MODE to "Overlay" it will give it the reflective look.

-sm

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Questions,

-sm >>

I have elements and not photoshop where do I change transfer mode to overlay? >>

just do "FLIP VERTICAL" and move into position.
    when you change the TRANSFER MODE to "Overlay" it will give it the reflective look.

-sm >>

Ok did the flip but can't find anything about Transfer mode or overlay. Also how do I get only the corner of the image to show in the shadow area? When I flip the coin it goes all the way to the bottom of the work area.
    If I put the flipped image above the Layer 28 copy and choose group with previous it kind of works. Not sure if it's the right way though.

Here is what I get for my first shot. image

<< <i>perfect!

-sm >>

And a little less than my one week estimate. image

I think you will be seeing a lot of posts with this template now. Hopefully that's not an issue.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is very swell of you SpaceMonkey.

Do you know if your template will work with PhotoShop Elements?

Bochiman mentioned Costco has Elements for $79.99.

BECOKA, image

• << <i>This is very swell of you SpaceMonkey.

BECOKA, image >>

i would think elements would work ok seeing that BECOKA did it with elements

-sm

<< <i>This is very swell of you SpaceMonkey.

BECOKA, image >>

I did mine in Elements 4.0 if you read through the thread some of the options were labeled differently but it does work.
    SM,

Can you teach us how to trace out a coin scene to cut an paste on another background? image
  • prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    THANKS! image

• sure... not sure how this translates to elements... but... the way I do in Photoshop is to use the CIRCLE selection tool to do a "basic selection" of the coin... I then do to "SELECT/TRANSFORM SELECTION" to adjust the selection to fit perfectly.

not sure if that helps... but it is exactly what I do... give a try and see what you come up with.

-sm

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Questions,

-sm >>

Anyone here using the MAC version of elements? I dont se scale to fit under transform......
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Questions,

-sm >>

Anyone here using the MAC version of elements? I dont se scale to fit under transform...... >>

Yes I used Elements 4.0 on a Mac. Use Free Transform under the Image drop down/Transform and just drag the corner and move the image until it matches the template.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Questions,

-sm >>

Anyone here using the MAC version of elements? I dont se scale to fit under transform...... >>

Yes I used Elements 4.0 on a Mac. Use Free Transform under the Image drop down/Transform and just drag the corner and move the image until it matches the template. >>

Thanks will give it a shot but my elements keeps crashing one me!!!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Questions,

-sm >>

Yes I used Elements 4.0 on a Mac. Use Free Transform under the Image drop down/Transform and just drag the corner and move the image until it matches the template. >>

Thanks will give it a shot but my elements keeps crashing one me!!! >>

Elements 6.0 for Leopard should be out around April 15th. Mine has only crashed 1 or 2 times otherwise it has been fine. How much memory do you have? I have 4 gigs.

• Thanks for the template, Space Monkey! I'm looking forward to trying it out!
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Questions,

-sm >>

I thought software never crashed on Macs? ????

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Questions,

-sm >>

Elements 6.0 for Leopard should be out around April 15th. Mine has only crashed 1 or 2 times otherwise it has been fine. How much memory do you have? I have 4 gigs. >>

I have 4 gigs and will be moving to a macbrook pro

<< <i>

I thought software never crashed on Macs? ???? >>

This is software that was not meant for the new Intel Macs and Leopard. They will have an updated version soon. None of my other software crashes and the OS has never crashed. image

<< <i>

I have 4 gigs and will be moving to a macbrook pro >>

That's what I am using. It's a great system.
  • I think I missed one step, but I am getting closer, and about to give up for the night, thanks SpaceMonkey, and Becoka!

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

• << <i> Thanks will give it a shot but my elements keeps crashing one me!!! >>

Mac apps dont crash, they retire gracefully to the fainting couch.
    Sort of like MS Word doesn't have bugs, it has "undocumented features"
    I am serious! and don't call me Shirley
  • I'm currently using a macbook with Adobe Photoshop CS and the template works great.

The program has only crashed once or twice but it wasn't anything to make a big deal of.

Will post results soon.

<< <i>

<< <i> Thanks will give it a shot but my elements keeps crashing one me!!! >>

>>

I have a special ability to crash computers... my PC would have locked up for the night by now.

• << <i>I think I missed one step, but I am getting closer, and about to give up for the night, thanks SpaceMonkey, and Becoka!

looking pretty good rgCoinGuy...

you just need to move up the reflection layer to match up to the bottom of the coins... then (if you can find the setting) switch the reflection layer's transfer mode to "OVERLAY"

-sm

• SpaceMonkey- I got this far, but how do I finish it off? I cannot find the option to switch the transfer mode to overlay,

but I can change the gradient to overlay. This option, however, doesn't make the image look like yours. Thanks

• << <i>SpaceMonkey- I got this far, but how do I finish it off? I cannot find the option to switch the transfer mode to overlay,

but I can change the gradient to overlay. This option, however, doesn't make the image look like yours. Thanks

>>

change the REFLECTION layer (the one you flipped) to OVERLAY ... not the gradient layer... and you should be good to go!

-sm

<< <i>I think I missed one step, but I am getting closer, and about to give up for the night, thanks SpaceMonkey, and Becoka!

image >>

I really like that Columbian!!!
    Ed...

I just can't do any of it...won't you just come over and do them all for me? image

Seriously though, very cool of you to help like this! I can't wait to get the time to try it at home (I'm not that good with photography so this will be a stretch)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Found it! Thanks for the help. the template works really well in bringing out the color in each and every coin.

Here is the new, final copy:

Man....you guys do a much better job cropping the circular images....I have too much "extra" around the edges image

• looking good bochi... you just need to find that "OVERLAY" mode i was talking about for the REFLECTION layer... and you will be lookin' good!

-sm

I know image
    I am using PS6 but it takes a bit for a neanderthal to find these things if they aren't laid out a....b.....c.... image
    Trying another one right now and forgetting where I merged them (only 2 merge options under "layer".... "merge down" and "merge visible".....argh!!!)

<< <i>Man....you guys do a much better job cropping the circular images....I have too much "extra" around the edges image

>>

To get the color yours were most likely shot at an angle so it will be harder to crop than a coin shot straight on.
    SM,

You are creating an army of Photoshop guru's. image

• << <i>SM,

You are creating an army of Photoshop guru's. image >>

bbwwwahhhh bwwahahhhh bbbbbbbbbbbwwwwwwahhhhhhhhh.... my plan is almost complete image

but really... glad to see so many giving it a go... and picking up real fast... very nice... more to come...

-sm

<< <i>

<< <i>Man....you guys do a much better job cropping the circular images....I have too much "extra" around the edges image

>>

To get the color yours were most likely shot at an angle so it will be harder to crop than a coin shot straight on. >>

Yeah...that's true too...Mark gave me some tips on that, for new pics, this last weekend. This is an older pic...haven't had a chance to take new pics.

still trying to find this "transfer mode -> overlay" bit....

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

To get the color yours were most likely shot at an angle so it will be harder to crop than a coin shot straight on. >>

Yeah...that's true too...Mark gave me some tips on that, for new pics, this last weekend. This is an older pic...haven't had a chance to take new pics.

still trying to find this "transfer mode -> overlay" bit.... >>

Are you using PS elements of the full version of PS? I had to use something else in elements .....

If I put the flipped image above the Layer 28 copy and choose group with previous it kind of works. Not sure if it's the right way though. On the right hand side there should be a bunch of layers move your flipped image above the semi circle ones or the Layer 28. That gives it priority. Then one of the pull down menus, I think under layers says group with previous. Then only the semi circle portion will show. and the rest will disappear.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file