Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***FORUM LINGO DICTIONARY***

Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭
edited August 18, 2022 2:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum
Since there are a ton of terms specific to a coin message board that many people, including myself, don't know about, why don't we spell them out here? Hopefully, this will reduce the number of threads about people asking what certain abbreviations are. I'll try to copy subsequent posts onto the OP.

The most recent edit was on 08/18/22.

+1------------------------------------------------This thread is going to be deleted by a moderator, so I'll use it to raise my post count (see POOF)
11CP/11 Cent Piece------------------------Cent struck on a dime planchet
7070---------------------------------------------A reference to the popular Dansco #7070 album for major US type coins
ALT-----------------------------------------------Alternate ID
AGE/ASE/APE-----------------------------------American Gold/Silver/Platinum Eagle
ANA----------------------------------------------American Numismatic Association
AP-------------------------------------------------Authorized Purchaser, for US Mint products
AT/AW (see NT/NW)---------------------------Artificial Toning/Artificial Wear
ATB-----------------------------------------------America the Beautiful (Quarter Series, see Puck)
ATS-----------------------------------------------Across The Street (NGC Forum)
B&M----------------------------------------------Brick and mortar (usually a coin shop)
Bammed----------------------------------------Banned (removed by a moderator) from the forum
BB-------------------------------------------------Body Bag
BIN-----------------------------------------------Buy it now (eBay)
Bluefish --------------------------------------Symbol of the (obsolete) open forum
BM/BMP-----------------------------------------Branch Mint/Branch Mint Proof
Body Bag---------------------------------------A coin a grading service did not grade and holder, but returned in a plastic flip (see PCGS No Grade Codes)
BONGO-----------------------------------------Someone you haven't seen (Unfortunately...ask Ahooka454 for details)
BST-----------------------------------------------Buy/Sell/Trade
Bump--------------------------------------------A post to raise the thread to the top (see TTT)
BUT-----------------------------------------------Butt-ugly toning
CAC-----------------------------------------------Certified Acceptance Corporation
CAM----------------------------------------------Cameo contrast on proofs
carol---------------------------------------------carolj, (former) forum moderator
CBH----------------------------------------------Capped bust half dollar
CBH10c, CBHD---------------------------------Capped bust half dime
CircCam-----------------------------------------lordmarcovan's term to describe "a circulated coin with dark fields and lighter highlights"
Circle of Trust----------------------------------Self-explanatory close-knit community of forum members
CPG----------------------------------------------Cherry Picker's Guide, a book on die varieties
Crusty------------------------------------------A term used to describe the (often attractive) heavily toned surfaces of a coin
CS, C/S------------------------------------------Counterstamp, post-mint lettering or numbers punched into a coin's surface with a tool
Cull----------------------------------------------A heavily worn coin that was pulled from circulation
Darkside (See Liteside, Grayside)---------World coins
DCAM (See CAM, UCAM)---------------------Deep cameo
DMPL (See PL)---------------------------------Deep Mirror Prooflike
Doily---------------------------------------------Short-lived PCGS holder with doily design on label
Dreck--------------------------------------------Coin not worth owning
DW-----------------------------------------------Don Willis, president of PCGS
EDS-----------------------------------------------Early Die State
ER (See FS)-------------------------------------Early Release, which is NGC's version of First Strike
Fattie--------------------------------------------Old "fat" NGC holder
Farside (See Liteside, etc)-------------------Exonumia (e.g. tokens, medals, elongated coins)
FB-------------------------------------------------Full Bands for Mercury dimes
FBL-----------------------------------------------Full Bell Lines for Franklin halves
FE/FEC-------------------------------------------Flying Eagle Cent
FH-------------------------------------------------Full Head for Standing Liberty quarters
Fishscale----------------------------------------Three cent coin (see trime and trickle)
Fogetabout------------------------------------Forget about it
FL-------------------------------------------------Full Bell Lines for Franklin halves (see FBL)
FLD-----------------------------------------------Forum Lingo Dictionary
Fresh Meat-------------------------------------A (hopefully) playful welcoming term for new members
FS (Alternatively, see FSHO)-----------------First strike (see ER) or Full Steps for Jefferson nickels
FSHO----------------------------------------------For Sale Here Only
FT--------------------------------------------------Full Torch for Roosevelt dimes
FTW-----------------------------------------------For the Win
FW------------------------------------------------Fred Weinberg, PCGS error expert
FWIW--------------------------------------------For What Its Worth
F word-------------------------------------------Fraud
GC------------------------------------------------Great Collections
Gennie-------------------------------------------"Genuine"; a coin that won't grade, but is genuine (see PCGS No Grade Codes)
Grayside (See Liteside, Darkside)----------Canadian/American colonial (i.e. Fillipino) coins
Green Bean (See Stickers)-------------------CAC approval sticker
GSA----------------------------------------------General Services Administration (e.g. GSA holders for silver dollars)
GTG----------------------------------------------Guess the Grade, or Good to Go
HRH----------------------------------------------"homerunhall", the handle of CU's benevolent founder, David Hall
HTT-----------------------------------------------Hard Times Token
IHC-----------------------------------------------Indian Head Cent
IIRC----------------------------------------------If I Recall Correctly
IMO/IMHO---------------------------------------In my opinion/In my humble (/honest) opinion
JA--------------------------------------------------John Albanese of CAC
JMO/JMHO--------------------------------------Just my opinion/Just my humble opinion
Kool-Aid-----------------------------------------A reference to being told what to do by the ruler
LDS-----------------------------------------------Late Die State
Liteside (See Darkside, Grayside)----------US coins
Low-end----------------------------------------A coin that barely (if at all) makes its certified grade
LT-------------------------------------------------Love Token, post-mint hand-engraved artwork and/or lettering on a coin
MA------------------------------------------------Market Acceptable
Maxxed out------------------------------------A coin that is already certified in the highest grade it can be reasonably assigned
MD------------------------------------------------Mechanical Doubling (same as SD for Shelf Doubling)
MEL-----------------------------------------------Missing Edge Lettering
MIA-----------------------------------------------Minted in Asia, or missing in action for members that haven't posted in awhile
MM-----------------------------------------------Moon money, mintmark, Mickey Mouse
Modulator---------------------------------------A forum moderator. Do Not Cross
Moon shot -------------------------------------A coin photograph taken at such a high altitude that the subject is barely recognizable as a coin
MPL----------------------------------------------Matte Proof Lincoln
NARU--------------------------------------------Not a registered user (eBay)
NT/NW (See AT/AW)--------------------------Natural Toning/Natural Wear
NCLT---------------------------------------------Non-Circulating Legal Tender
NewP/NewT------------------------------------New Purchase/New Trade
Non-regal---------------------------------------Contemporary counterfeit British coins, often circulating in early America
Numismatic abortion-------------------------Coin not worth owning (This is awful image )
OBO---------------------------------------------Or best offer
OBH----------------------------------------------Omaha Bank Hoard
OBW---------------------------------------------Original bank-wrapped roll of MS coins
OFEC---------------------------------------------"One from each country" style of world coin collecting
OFR---------------------------------------------- Open Forum Refuge
ODB----------------------------------------------Old Dirty B*****d
OGH----------------------------------------------Old Green Holder/Older Generation Holder
OGP----------------------------------------------Original Government Packaging
OP------------------------------------------------Original Post/Poster (While I was thinking about it image)
OT------------------------------------------------Off topic
Pics, Pix------------------------------------------Pictures (Just in case image)
PL-------------------------------------------------Prooflike
PM------------------------------------------------Private Message/Precious metals
PMD----------------------------------------------Post-mint damage
Po'd----------------------------------------------P***ed off
POC/POS----------------------------------------Piece of Crap/S**t
POOF--------------------------------------------This thread is going to be deleted by a moderator, so I'll use it to raise my post count (see +1)
POTD--------------------------------------------Post of the day
PPG---------------------------------------------Paypal gift
PQ-----------------------------------------------Premium quality
Puck---------------------------------------------America the Beautiful 5 oz. silver round (see ATB)
Putty-------------------------------------------A foreign substance applied to the surface of a gold coin to conceal blemishes, rendering it non-gradeable at PCGS
QA-----------------------------------------------Quality Assurance (Third-party verification of PCGS/NGC slabbed moderns)
QDB---------------------------------------------Q. David Bowers
OGP---------------------------------------------Original government packaging
Rattler------------------------------------------A first-generation PCGS holder
RC------------------------------------------------Rubber Chicken/Cola manufacturer
RCA----------------------------------------------Rubber Chicken Approved
RPM----------------------------------------------Repunched Mintmark
SBA----------------------------------------------Susan B. Anthony dollar
SCD----------------------------------------------So-Called Dollar
Scudzy-----------------------------------------Rough or unattractive surfaces on an early copper coin
SD------------------------------------------------Shelf Doubling (same as MD for Mechanical Doubling)
SDB----------------------------------------------Safety Deposit Box
Seated------------------------------------------A generic term for coins with the seated liberty design
Slider------------------------------------------A coin with slight friction marks that is not quite uncirculated
SLQ----------------------------------------------Standing Liberty Quarter
SM1----------------------------------------------SportsModerator1, (former) forum moderator
Smoe--------------------------------------------Something/Someone
SMS----------------------------------------------Special Mint Set
Stickers-----------------------------------------CAC's sticker of "solidity to higher end" of a grade range
Stooge-----------------------------------------Based on user "Stooge", refers to an out-of-this-world Roosevelt dime sense/senser
SSP----------------------------------------------Shameless Self Promotion/Sales Plug
SWLABR----------------------------------------She walks like a bearded rainbow; a coin that looks like a rainbow, but is flawed (cf. Wikipedia)
Threeagle--------------------------------------Three dollar gold piece
TLTIR-------------------------------------------The last thing I remember
To je govno------------------------------------Coin not worth owning
Toilet bowl toning-----------------------------Dark, unattractive toning
TPG----------------------------------------------Third Party Grading
Trickel-------------------------------------------Three cent nickel (see fishscale, trime)
Trime--------------------------------------------Three cent silver (see fishscale, trickel)
TT-------------------------------------------------Teletrade
TTHL---------------------------------------------This thread has legs, for a thread getting more posts than one would imagine
TTIWWP----------------------------------------This thread is worthless without pictures
TTT-----------------------------------------------To the top (see Bump)
UCAM (See CAM/DCAM)----------------------NGC's version of deep cameo contrast
UMS---------------------------------------------Ugly Mood Swing
VAM----------------------------------------------Van Allen-Mallis variety identification for Morgan Dollars
WCDD-------------------------------------------Why Coin Dealers Drink
Weenie coin-----------------------------------Cook-Islands coin depicting god of fertility and popularized by MadMarty
Widget------------------------------------------A coin that could be easily replaced with a similar coin at almost any time
WLH---------------------------------------------Walking Liberty Half
WTK---------------------------------------------Want to Know
Yeti----------------------------------------------Darkside term for a seldom-seen forum member
YN------------------------------------------------Young Numismatist
"You Suck!"------------------------------------An award given by general consensus when good luck strikes a member

If anyone has any suggestions for terms to add (I'm probably missing a lot), or if some of my definitions are off, please help me out. Is this a stupid idea? It's pretty late at night...

Thanks in advance!

-Dawg

Comments

• Options
    I know I'm absolutely terrible with acronyms, so I'm down with this idea. image
  • Options
    nope. its a great idea. when i was new i got confussed a few times by them. heres the ones on my mind

AT/NT=artifical or natural toning
    OGH=old green holder
    PM=private message

• Options
    What's ttt?
    Trustworthy BST sellers: cucamongacoin
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    ttt = to the top, to resurrect an old thread without adding anything substantially new.

On that, why doesn't someone simply search and tt the thread that has a massive number of these in it? We've been there before.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Thanks, Coxe.

Edited to say: Maybe we could get some different stuff this time around...
  • Options
    ALT= Alternate ID
    WTK= Want to Know
    B.S.= First strike
    LOL= CAC
    CAC=LMAO
    LMOA= Laughing my asre off
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    EDS: Early Die State
    LDS: Late Die State
    RPM: Repunched Mintmark
  • Options
    TPG= Third Party Grading
    POC/POS - Piece of Crap

I've seen FWIW around and from context assumed it means something like From What I W---? Never figured out that last part. Any help?
    Spare your best friend's life!! Adopt an adult dog at your local "kill" animal shelter. You will be changed.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    RC - Rubber Chicken

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    Marty's POS EDS RC ROFLMAO!image
  • Options
    I always thought FSH meant Free Shipping/Handling. image
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took me a while to figure out that ATS meant Across The Street. (NGC Forum)
  • Options
    PM is also Precious Metals

Edited to add I agree with coinnut, didn't know what ATS meant either.

Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    I really like the First Strike = B.S.

In fact, I like it FTW = For the Win! Usually applicable when one post clearly outshines the rest image.

Just bringing the crusty's here into the slang modern world - FTW!

Swest
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so perhaps this is where I can ask, what does "IIRC" mean?
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    Lite-side = US coins

Gray side = Canadian coins

Dark side = world coins

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Okay, so perhaps this is where I can ask, what does "IIRC" mean? >>

If I Recall Correctly...
  • Options

<< <i>TPG= Third Party Grading
    POC/POS - Piece of Crap

I've seen FWIW around and from context assumed it means something like From What I W---? Never figured out that last part. Any help? >>

FWIW=For What Its Worth
    IIRC=If I Recall/Remember Correctly
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>RC - Rubber Chicken

image >>

nah....RC is a type of co-cola!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    When I first got here, they were doing something called POTD, post of the day. Someone annointed himself the awarder of this, and jumped into a thread with POTD! if he liked the post. Anyway, the guy who had done it said no mas one day, and another guy appointed himself, and the next day he awarded POTD at like 9am. It was pointed out to him that that was ridiculous, at least wait until 9:30 dude, and he didn't do POTD again, and we have been blessedly free of it ever sinceimage
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    see above for POTD!
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    You are so sweet, Mike!image

OK, you got the jobimage

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    NARU=Not a registered user
    FSHO=for sale here only (as opposed to another venue (eBay), as well)
    MM=Moon money, mint mark, mickey mouse
    TLTIR=The last thing I remember
    SWLABR=She walks like a bearded rainbow
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    BONGO=Someone you haven't seen.
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>SWLABR=She walks like a bearded rainbow >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty new here although I'm enjoying all the great info. Haven't seen these explained, although they come up pretty often.
    What's "POOF", What are stickers, and why are people proud recipients of the "You Suck Awards."? Thanks and sorry for the empty post above..
    s
    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTF Why The Flowers ?image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    Welcome OnWithTheHunt,

"Poof" is what happens when our host decides that a particular thread has gotten out-of-hand. POOF, it's gone, never to be seen again! Sometimes people go poof too....

It looks like the original poster is keeping up his list. Good work.
    Spare your best friend's life!! Adopt an adult dog at your local "kill" animal shelter. You will be changed.
  • Options
    You get a "You suck" award when some good luck strikes you. You do not get a "You Suck" award from ripping off grandma out of her husbands collection. I got a YSA for getting 50% of my Plat submission coming back as MS-70. Utah got a YSA for getting BU rolls of wheat cents from the bank. It is awarded by general consensus. Cohodk got a YSA for buying a MS cent and finding out it was a Matte Proof....
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

• Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    What is a "spoon" ?
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    What are all these references to kool-aid?
    Thanks. image
  • Options
    poof-pulled off of forum? Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    Drinking the kool-aid refers to beleiving whatever is told to you by the ruler. A dark reference to Jonestown.

• Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

IMHO has always meant "In My Humble Opinion" here
    as well as all other forums and newsgroups.

"Kool-Aid" is what Jim Jones served up to his followers
    which was laced with poison. It is used here to denote
    those who will blindly follow what is on the plastic rather
    than think (and grade) for themselves, i.e., Kool-Aid
    drinkers.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

I've seen this one a lot, on eBay. I'm sure it
    has been used here too, or at least on the
    BST Forum.

OBH = Omaha Bank Hoard

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    QDB = Q. David Bowers

• Options
    If you are a PO-1 fan then AW/NW
    Artificial Wear/Natural Wear
  • Options
    There was a post a few weeks ago that BMP was used for Branch Mint Proof.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    F.L.D. is Forum Lingo Dictionary, and is commonly referred to as "The Feld". The Feld is an indispensible source of numismatic information. image

-formerly RC.
  • Options
    HRH = Our host. This is his house. A gracious and sharing guy who gets to throw out those who don't behave.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another addition might be "crusty".

I don't know what it means exactly but I've seen it used numerous times.
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And "rattler".
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OGP = Original Government Packaging
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget widget!

-Paul
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭