Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why were New Orleans coins so poorly struck?

Why were the coins minted in New Orleans typically so poorly struck? This phenomenon seems to be across denominations. QDB's "Experts Guide" and Morgan 2nd $ Edition mention this but offer no real explanation why...

Possibilities:

1) Humidity or other water-related environmental factors
2) The workers just wanted to mint as many as fast as they could
3) The dies or equipment were sub-par compared to other mints

Any ideas/thoughts/answers?

Comments

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The south was economically devastated after the Civil War and got the most out of everything including dies?

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Another possibility -- (4) Skinflints at the New Orleans Mint decided that reducing striking pressure could increase die life, thus cutting costs.
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    They struck the coins very hastily because of weather issues
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    In those days all dies came from Philly, therefore the branch mints has to make what was onhand work - a way to extend die life was to use less striking pressure, and I suspect that this in part might account for the poor strike quality.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    this exact question was posted to N.O. mint workers in the early 20th century. here is a list of their reasons for the weak strikes:

"the sun was in my eyes!"

"it wasn't me, honest!"

"darn, flalutin' high-tech gizmo things didn't work right!"

"coins?! we were makin' coins?!"

"our boss, Mr. Bowers told us this: "strike 'em light boys, so someday they'll wonder!" "

" our jobs were outsourced to Halliburton, what kinda' work do you expect from crooked no-bid contractors!? "
  • Options
    toreador74toreador74 Posts: 201 ✭✭
    didn't think about the striking pressure.... but that makes sense.

This is more than a Civil War issue, however, because 1853 quarters and halves have this problem as well, I believe.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In those days all dies came from Philly, therefore the branch mints has to make what was onhand work - a way to extend die life was to use less striking pressure, and I suspect that this in part might account for the poor strike quality. >>

Wouldn't this have affected San Francisco even more than New Orleans because of the cost, time and distance to ship the dies? Or maybe they received enough dies to hammer the strikes? There aren't too many poorly struck '81-S Morgans...

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wouldn't this have affected San Francisco even more than New Orleans because of the cost, time and distance to ship the dies? Or maybe they received enough dies to hammer the strikes? There aren't too many poorly struck '81-S Morgans... >>

Yeah you'd think...

I am only speculating here, but my guess is that because San Francisco made many more coins than New Orleans (or Charlotte or Dahlonega or Carson City for that matter) that they were furnished with more dies. I would presume that the rural mints had fewer dies to work with (I know Dahlonega was only given 1 die set to make $3.00 with in '54) and perhaps less capable press equipment as well. You certainly see not only softer strikes, but also by and large die problems such as clashing and cracking much more frequently on smaller branch issues than on Philly or SF coinage.
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Here's a thread with a bit more substance than the answers you've received so far.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    toreador74toreador74 Posts: 201 ✭✭
    excellent thread at the other side of that link... we were heading there eventually, I think, but better to "cut to the chase".
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    New Orleans was the "Big Easy" even back then. image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    There are probably several reasons for the substandard quality of the New Orleans Mint output. Some are speculative, other are supported by documentation.

Speculative
    A ‘laid back” attitude; small pool of high quality workers to hire from; distance from Washington encouraged dumping inferior coin into circulation before the director could condemn them; local political favoritism was stronger than in other cities. Too many "cordials" and a large liquor ration.

Documentation
    The New Orleans Mint was known within the Mint Bureau for shoddy work almost from the beginning. NO had the highest rate of rework of any of the mints at any time. (Yes, worse than Dahlonega or Charlotte) In some months 60% of the struck silver and gold was condemned and melted. It also had a nearly constant correspondence with the mint director about poor quality coin. Superintendents seemed less hands-on than those at other mints and so workers had more opportunity to cut corners. Every time someone came to investigate, quality improved – then deteriorated when the inspection was over.

After the Civil War, NO had old equipment and less skilled staff than SF and Phil. Old equipment could not meet the production demands of huge silver dollar coinage further degrading quality. Annealing furnaces were unable to keep up with volume and many planchets were too hard, thus causing excess die wear and breakage, and the collapsed looking coins common from NO. Letters from the director about defective coin being released (based on the special assay samples) continue into 1909 – when the director closed the place a month before the end of the fiscal year.

There are also a number of letters asking for secret service investigations of NO officers for cotton and grain speculation.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why were the coins minted in New Orleans typically so poorly struck? This phenomenon seems to be across denominations. QDB's "Experts Guide" and Morgan 2nd $ Edition mention this but offer no real explanation why...

Possibilities:

1) Humidity or other water-related environmental factors
    2) The workers just wanted to mint as many as fast as they could
    3) The dies or equipment were sub-par compared to other mints

Any ideas/thoughts/answers? >>

i think it was mardi gras

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    The Denver mint was an excellent replacement for New Orleans. They care about quality much more than New Orleans ever did, or even Philadelphia now.

The Denver Mint started operations in 1906 and at that point I'm sure the New Orleans staff saw the "handwriting on the wall".

As far a New Orleans Morgans, there are some really decent ones out there. You just have to sort through a lot of inferior coins to find them.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boudreau and Thibodeau worked probably worked at the N.O. mint. No other explanation is necessary. It's a Nawlins thing.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file