Home U.S. Coin Forum

I enjoy reading Charles Davis' book listings on Ebay...

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I figure if I put Ebay in the title, this thread is good for at least 100 hits image

Anyway, I don't know how often people here buy books from Charles Davis, but I always enjoy his Ebay listings because he always has interesting books to offer. Initially, I thought his listings were a little odd, because he ends every listing with the following blurb:

"And finally, not to insult the intelligence of the reader, please note that there are no coins included with this lot. Any coins illustrated are just that - illustrations. Please do not ask for a refund (or provide negative feedback) if all you receive is a printed work. That is all that is being offered."

I figured that no one could be so foolish to think that a bookseller that is selling books with coins pictured on the covers, etc., would actually be getting the coins themselves. But then, I noticed a listing that Davis put up today, which included the following:

"The F. R. Alvord Collection of United States Half Cents, sale by S. H. Chapman, June 9, 1924, undated reprint c1975, 255 lots, 20 pages, 5 plates of coins, prices realized list, glossy white covers. New. Adams "A" "Arguably the best collection of half cents ever." .............. ........................ ..............Note: This is a relisting of an item sold several weeks ago where the boneheaded winning bidder backed out as he thought he was getting $2 million worth of half cents for his $27.00 bid. God spare me from these sorts of morons in the future.. .......... ................. ........... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . "

Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Note: This is a relisting of an item sold several weeks ago where the boneheaded winning bidder backed out as he thought he was getting $2 million worth of half cents for his $27.00 bid. God spare me from these sorts of morons in the future.. .......... ................. ........... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . "
    image >>

Funny and sad at the same time. Sort of like the eBay auctions for a "Picture of an xBox" that was really a picture - this is about the exact opposite.

Still being fairly new to the hobby, I see books being talked about frequently and doing a Google to figure out what people are talking about, I frequently find the item in his bookshop. Nice site too if anyone wanted the link: Charles Davis Numismatic Literature
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those idiots (such as quoted above), are also P.T. Barnum's suckers... just depends on the venue. I am continually amazed at the human condition... What happened to the time when education was venerated and sought after? We seem to have an intellectual reverse evolution in process. Cheers, RickO
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience Charlie is a good guy, too.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I figured that no one could be so foolish to think that a bookseller that is selling books with coins pictured on the covers, etc., would actually be getting the coins themselves. But then, I noticed a listing that Davis put up today, which included the following:

"The F. R. Alvord Collection of United States Half Cents, sale by S. H. Chapman, June 9, 1924, undated reprint c1975, 255 lots, 20 pages, 5 plates of coins, prices realized list, glossy white covers. New. Adams "A" "Arguably the best collection of half cents ever." .............. ........................ ..............Note: This is a relisting of an item sold several weeks ago where the boneheaded winning bidder backed out as he thought he was getting $2 million worth of half cents for his $27.00 bid. God spare me from these sorts of morons in the future.. .......... ................. ........... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . "

image >>

imageimage

Charles is a stand up book dealerimage
  • Charlie has that blurb because he has had that happened to him several times.

Expected more than a catalog. Books etc should not be auctioned under coins edmarski( 107) Feb-01-01 19:45 1205781921
    Reply by numislit: Can I help it if you can't read. You expected $100,000 in coins for your $20.00!

got literature. Thought I was to get coins. Confusion on my part. Buyer rosendalhe( 19) Aug-31-01 14:37 1257915163
    Reply by numislit: My fault you can't read? Would it had been too much to contact me first? Sep-01-01 06:21

the knobloch collection.late Roman/Byzantine coin....is NOT a.COIN, its a BOOK. Buyer 332sila( 37) Sep-26-02 18:10 1376482093
    Reply by numislit: That's why it was listed under "Publications." Sad commentary on today's schools
  • I completely understand what Charles Davis goes through.

That is exactly why I do not write big descriptions any more, the light thinkers get lost.....I try to google-ize my descriptions...

For example, "This auction is for an 1865 two cent piece."

thats it, if you add fluff they get lost, confused and nervous, and you answer too many stupid questions and end up getting a negative feedback.

AL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file