Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post some new Barber images - the Mega Barber Thread

Edited on 11/25/08

Who would believe that after 2 years, and 2,335 posts later, that this thread would still be extremely active on the PCGS message boards. Alot of friendships have been formed during that time, and alot of information has been shared. I feel this thread will always be a wonderful source of information for both the novice, and advanced collector, of Barber coins. Where else can you go to find so many beautiful images of Barber coins? image

Unfortunately, becoming a full time coin dealer (as of January 1, 2008), has it's drawbacks. Namely, having to sell many of my PQ Barber quarters and halves. This has not changed my love for the series in any way though. Hopefully through the years I've developed a pretty good eye for quality Barber's, and I can help fill some holes in somebody else's collection.

The PCGS graded 1896-O, AU-55 and 1907-S, XF-45 Barber halves were the latest to be sold from my own personal collection. image Hopefully the new owner's will enjoy the coins as much as I did, and not mind that I'm displaying their coins here (they were two of my favorite Barber halves).

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    After 1872 posts on this Mega Thread and on the occasion of completing my Barber Quarter collection with the addition of a very choice 1901-S in PCGS AU 55 , I thought I'd add it here as well as getting it eventually buried in the thread.

Edit: 2/17/09:

This coin is currently at HLRC; I traded it towards an 1892-O Micro O PCGS MS 63 with a Green Bean - CAC Sticker. - EX: Peter Shireman - [ whose influenece made me realize that this is truly a very special coin.]

You have my word that this 1901-S Quarter is a very solid AU 55 . Its reverse has AU 58 detail, IMHO, and although the obverse has been discussed as an AU 53, however, I feel the obverse does qualify as an AU 55. The reverse absolutely carries this coin in its grade of AU 55. I have been offered a number of 01-S quarters, and this one was the best match to my collection. I have decided to only have AU 58's to MS coins in this set.

BTW, HLRC's price is substantially lower than what I originally paid for this coin. Yes, I took it on the chin on this trade however I think I stole the 1892-O MIcro O Half. Its all a matter of give and take. Right, Harry ?

Edited to add the old NGC holdered images:

To the next owner of this coin, enjoy it, you won't find its equal in AU for many decades.

======================================================================== EDIT ====================================================================

I wanted to make sure everyone realizes that The Barber Mega Thread is well into its Part Two cycle.

Due to a very unfortunate turn of events, I deleted all my posts from Part Two - and was planning on doing
    the same here in Part One as well. I have calmed down and didn't want to punish any one who actually used
    these Threads for their own research.

Here is a Link to Part 2

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither is new, but I love both coins dearly for their originality:

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    That 1893 is an awsome looking coin.
  • Options
    bfjohnsonbfjohnson Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    Don't feel like you are the only one who gets carried away. I did the same thing about a month ago and won a 1900 PCGS AU Half and an ANACS 1900 AU 50 on the same day.
  • Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Nice coins. These two are in my DANSCO 7070:

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My F12 toughy!

• Options
    I love any Barber thread!!!! I love all the coins posted!!!! This makes my day.

Here's my newest Barber, an ex-Jules Reiver

• Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    This belongs to a good friend. I was photographing his set and couldn't resist posting image

• Options
    This was one that I owned but sold recently image

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    Mike,

I have bought dupes on occasion.......forgot to bring my inventory list to a coin show. If a coin is nice enough, I usually don't get too annoyed.

Jeremy,

I remember the day that you bought that beautiful 1893 Barber quarter, it was at the GSNA show a couple of years ago. The dealer told me he had bought a bunch of original 1893 quarter's from an old time collector, and that the coins were all wrapped up in tissue paper (probably accounting for the beautiful toning) when he bought them. The dealer later submitted the coins to NGC, where most of the coins graded MS-63 or MS-64. I bought a nice MS-63 from that same group, but the real standout's, (your's included in that bunch), had already been cherry picked.

Thanks to everyone who gave me my daily fix of Barber's - nice coins BTW!
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I remember the day that you bought that beautiful 1893 barber quarter, it was at the GSNA show a couple of years ago. The dealer told me he had bought a bunch of original 1893 quarter's from an old time collector, and that the coins were all wrapped up in tissue paper (probably accounting for the beautiful toning) when he bought them. The dealer later submitted the coins to NGC, where most of the coins graded MS-63 or MS-64. I bought a nice MS-63 from that same group, but the real standout's, (your's included in that bunch), had already been cherry picked.
    >>

That's it! I think I only saw one or two more from the group. What made the coin I got special was the grade. A lot of the pieces were 64s and 65s, which were well out of my range (at the time, this coin really stretched my budget). On my piece, there's a very old staple scratch on the neck that, if not there, would have made the coin an easy 65. It's toned in nicely so it doesn't distract from the coin, but it took the grade down to a price level I could afford... and I'm very glad I bought it image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    Here's an addition to my 20th century type set that I expect will arrive in tomorrow's mail.

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Dan,

Now, that is one AU that has some character and 'terrain'-- I like it a lot.

Here is one new to me courtesy MFH, but not new to those of you familiar with the Registry. This and several others hopefully will be added to the V2 when I have a chance to figure it out a little better.

Thanks, Mike, for not making me run over that 'little old lady' to acquire this half image , which I can't wait to try and image myself someday soon. It looks it would just melt in your mouth...

Don

Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Here is a link to one of the halves P8nt is photographing that he posted. He did just an outstanding job on it capturing some of the PL fields. I am really looking forward to seeing the other 40+ coins he photographed for me in my half set.

Glenn 1892-S Half
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    bfjohnsonbfjohnson Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    That is a good looking 1892 S! Too bad it's out of my price range. Don, I love the 1906 S also!
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Don, that 06-S half is awesome!!!!
  • Options
    Don,

Real nice 06-S.......surprised Mike let that beauty go!
  • Options
    One Mint State

One Proof

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    Brandon,

Get those ugly coins off of here......only kidding. All I can say is WOW, only in my dreams will I own coins like those. Thanks for posting!
  • Options

<< <i>Brandon,

Get those ugly coins off of here......only kidding. All I can say is WOW, only in my dreams will I own coins like those. Thanks for posting! >>

They are both graded 64. One MS64 and the other PR64 and were very reasonably priced. I sold them quickly. Should check our stuff out sometimes, you'll find that there are many sweet deals to be had.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options

<< <i>[They are both graded 64. One MS64 and the other PR64 and were very reasonably priced. I sold them quickly. Should check our stuff out sometimes, you'll find that there are many sweet deals to be had. >>

They both certainly look like they grade higher than a 64.......at least a 65 by the images. Maybe they are within my budget. image
  • Options

<< <i>Don,

Real nice 06-S.......surprised Mike let that beauty go! >>

Don said he was going to run over a little old lady if I didn't sell it to him. image Plus, I already had
    another duplicate - just as nice - just a few points lower. I hated to see a grown man cry... image

Dan, I see that Anaconda's absolutely beautiful Barbers are tempting you. They sure are nice.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1916 NGC MS-62 Barber Dime

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    I'm waiting for my Tru-View images which should come in any day now.

Does anyone know how to easily post a Tru-View image? I'm talking really easy here.
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    The newest addition and this now completes my mid range set...coin is raw and have not inspected it yet but I'm hoping its a keeper:

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Nice coin Mike, it's an exceptionaly hard date to locate in the VF and XF grades. The coin doesn't appear to show any hairlines, and the cheek looks pretty smooth. It's hard to tell by the image, but the coin appears to be a hi VF, possibly XF-40.......good luck with it.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

Another recent addition to the mid range set: 1907-O:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Here's another new addition to my Barber half set.......courtesy of JJTeaparty. The coin is a Philippines hoard date 1900-S, graded AU-53 by PCGS. Odd that my last two dates acquired were both PCGS, AU-53's. Like the 1915-S, the 1900-S shows nice original toning and subdued luster hidden under the toning. I love originality in my Barber halves, but sometimes I feel that some of the PCGS graded AU-53's out there could have graded AU-55 or higher if not for the darker, original toning.

imageimage

Edited to add: the rims and dentils look a little distorted because I had to shrink the image in order to get it under 50 kb
  • Options
    Hey Barber Half Fans,

My Tru-Views have come back from Baltimore but my other submission has not yet. I'm going to take my time to share these with you.

This 1912-P has a nice circulated cameo look to it. Weak strike on obverse as noted by the lack of forehead hair detail.

Care to guess the grade? image

A special thanks to ellewood who took the time to share with me how to easily post Tru-View images.
    Coast Guard Craig

• Options
    Craig,

Those Tru-View images look great. I'm looking forward to the Tru-View images of the rest of your set.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Barber Half Fans,

My Tru-Views have come back from Baltimore but my other submission has not yet. I'm going to take my time to share these with you.

This 1912-P has a nice circulated cameo look to it. Weak strike on obverse as noted by the lack of forehead hair detail.

Care to guess the grade? image

A special thanks to ellewood who took the time to share with me how to easily post Tru-View images. >>

Craig...Let me guess...XF 45 ??? LOL
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Here's another for you to guess at Mike. Nice common date 1906-P. Typical weak strike and original skin.

Coast Guard Craig

• Options
    BTW, I still don't have my grades in yet from the coins I dropped off in Baltimore on 10NOV. It's driving me nuts.
    Coast Guard Craig

• Options

<< <i>Here's another for you to guess at Mike. Nice common date 1906-P. Typical weak strike and original skin.

image >>

Craig: 1906's got nice obverse luster: XF45 wear
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Wow, how did you guess? image
    Coast Guard Craig

• Options
    This one got an upgrade when I sent to ANACS for reholder.

"Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, how did you guess? image >>

image............Think I have not seen my fair share of XF 45's ?

BTW: I'm dying to see your true-view images. The "finite" nuances of XF 45 will be all over the spectrum on your set. Some may have gone to XF 42 - 40 others to XF 47.5 to 49.75. Who ever said a 100 point scale would be hard to fathom ?

Hurry up...we're all waiting.

lets see what I have in a 45 for comparison...pot luck here folks...I have no idea what images are lurking in the bowels of this PC... image

....ta dah !!! .... >>>>>
    <<<<<<<<<... :

Here's another - sorry the image is so small:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike,

All I could see were those nice red x's.

I have to take my time to share with you guys. This will allow me to stay in the game for awhile.
    Coast Guard Craig

• Options
    Craig...

See above post - Sorry...just red X's until I download new pics...now I gotta find how to delete the images on my attachments at PCGS.

Just what I need - more work.

Craig, Looked at your True View images. Excellent !!

I was able to delete some of the images which seemed to have expired ( how is that possible ? ) from the PCGS attachment file. The larger images ( all under 50kb) were much more detailed.

Mike
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    BTW,

You are right. You will see XF42's to XF48s. With such a small spread, it can be very hard to determine strike weakness or just plain wear.

Off to Denver now to see your Seattle Seahawks beat up on the Denver Broncos Sunday night. I will be the tall guy wearing a vintage Steve Largent jersey getting a ball handed to me by Deion Branch or Daryl Jackson after they scored a TD. I'm front row in a corner of the endzone. Can't wait to watch a game in 17 degree weather. And to think my wife and I could have gone to Phoenix the following weekend to see the Seahawks play the Cardinals. image
    Coast Guard Craig

• Options
    This is a pop 6 1912-S. Original skin with an even strike. Comments?

I have 61 more to go on the current submission. We should be able to keep this thread alive for a long time Barber fans.

Still no news on my submissions at PCGS. I'm going crazy here wondering just how close I am to a complete set of XF45s.
    Coast Guard Craig

• Options
    Keep em coming Craig. Nice 12-S, looks solid for the grade and like you said, nice original skin.
  • Options
    Here's one of my 12-S's; like your's a whole lot more.

imageI'll get rid of the little RED X later this evening

edited to fix the attachment
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Here you go Mike.......you're 12-S.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file