Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone here use a Nikon D50 for coin photography?

I am considering a Nikon D50. My primary use is going to be photographing coins, currency and small artifacts. If anyone owns (or has owned) this camera, I'd love to hear what you think of it. What lens do you use for coins? Do you have a coin photo taken with the camera that you can post?
If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• No, but I want one image
    -George
    42/92
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Get the D70 instead if you can. You'll appreciate the better white balance handling, including the ability to custom measure the white balance as well as custom curves.
  • slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭

<< <i>Get the D70 instead if you can. You'll appreciate the better white balance handling, including the ability to custom measure the white balance as well as custom curves. >>

...and you can get these pretty cheap now since the D80 has just been released. I have Nikon's 60mm Micro lense which takes excellent shots. If you are interested in a used D70s, my coworker just got the D80 and is looking to sell his D70s - pretty cheap and has a couple of lenses, extra batteries, etc. PM me if interested and I'll get a price. He is quite anal about his photography and has all the original stuff - box, paperwork, etc. The camera is mint.

!!!!!!!!!I just spoke with him and he said he just sold it all. !!!!!!!!!!! Sorry!
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got the D70 and love it... the custom white balance thing may be worth the extra cost, given the nature of the photography.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • I have been using a D50 for about 6 months and love its mechanics and handling. I do not love its limited white balancing capability and will be looking for a used D70 shortly.

I am using a 104mm macro lens which is fabulous (list price was more than the camera but I got it used at 1/2 priceo on ebay and it proved to be mint, lucky me.
    Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    I have a D50 and added a number 2 and number 1 close up filter. For the price you can't go wrong.

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Why spend the money on all the extra equiptment? A 100 dollar scanner will out perform the best camera on the market......
    The images below were captured with a scanner that is 5 years old.....Save your money for a nice Coin.

• A 100 dollar scanner will out perform the best camera on the market

Have you not seen some of the INCREDIBLE coin photography on this site?

A scanner cannot compare to a decent or better camera and a skilled photographer!

Ken
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why spend the money on all the extra equiptment? A 100 dollar scanner will out perform the best camera on the market......
    >>

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

• << <i>

<< <i>Why spend the money on all the extra equiptment? A 100 dollar scanner will out perform the best camera on the market......
    >>

image >>

imageimageimage

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

image >>

You are not very experienced, are you? Scanners are garbage compared to even the 1st-gen Nikon coolpix.
  • JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>A 100 dollar scanner will out perform the best camera on the market...... >>

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why spend the money on all the extra equiptment? A 100 dollar scanner will out perform the best camera on the market...... >>

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I have been down the scanner road and while they can do more that some folks might think, even my low end Nikon blows it away.

I am pretty much sold on the Nikon brand and I'm just looking at models now. I'll have to take a look at the D70, it is only about $100 more than the D50, but I have not seen one in person yet (just the D50 and D80).
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • I have been down the scanner road and while they can do more that some folks might think, even my low end Nikon blows it away.

I am pretty much sold on the Nikon brand and I'm just looking at models now. I'll have to take a look at the D70, it is only about $100 more than the D50, but I have not seen one in person yet (just the D50 and D80).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In addition to my hobby of collecting coins, I am also a amateur photographer. I use a Nikon system with AF-S Nikon ED 2.8 glass camera lenses (extremely high quality). However, I get along just fine using my Epson 2450 photo scanner (5 years old) to archive my coins onto JPEG files. I think it depends on what you are using the picture for. If the picture is for presentation or contest purposes then, yes, go the Nikon way. If you are just archiving and sending out emails of the coin to family or friends, a photo scanner does the trick very nicely.

To each his own.

CollectorMan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file