Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone game for a 79-S MS65 Morgan in a Rattler

Lets just say this coin is off the market once and for all. No one made big bucks. Ebay bidder will not receive this coin.
MB

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who did IT?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    The dog got it.
    Collecting cleaned, scratched, scraped, AT and ugly POS coins for over 2 years now!
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    It doesn't look so "MS-65" any more. Not even with a dip...
  • Options

Its gonna need more than a light wizz to fix it. Thats too bad.
    Collecting cleaned, scratched, scraped, AT and ugly POS coins for over 2 years now!
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Was it MoC toned? WTF happened to the cheek? If you wanted to correct the problem wouldn't dip be a better solution than defacing a coin?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Was it MoC toned? WTF happened to the cheek? If you wanted to correct the problem wouldn't dip be a better solution than defacing a coin? >>

I agree. It is unfortuante that the coin was tampered with, but I think it is worse somehow that in addition it has now been defaced. image
  • Options

<< <i>I think it is worse somehow that in addition it has now been defaced. image >>

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    I really think a dog got it. It looks like he worked his way thru the plastic with his front teeth.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dramatic effect is nice, but I think most of us would have been satisfied with a light dip to get it "off the market". It would have been interesting to see what grade it would have received if it were re-submitted!
  • Options

<< <i>Was it MoC toned? WTF happened to the cheek? If you wanted to correct the problem wouldn't dip be a better solution than defacing a coin? >>

Agreed. I'm glad no one is going to burned for big bucks by the AT coin in the PCGS holder, but I didn't think it needed to be mangled -- just cracked out and dipped would suffice...
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Good job guys, that was the right thing to do! image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why it had to be scratched.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    A good ending to this one.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

Dang!! ..that sux..destroying the coin was unnecessary.image
    Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
    Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not the coin's fault. Why did you have to punish the coin by scratching it like that??? Ever hear of Jewel luster?
  • Options
    To keep the dam AT now dipped out altered piece of crap off the freken market that's why. It's bullion now and be glad it is.Remember
  • Options

<< <i>A good ending to this one. >>

A good one, but not the optimal one. It reminds me of an old Infocom game I played on the Atari 800 in college, a text-based adventure where a good wizard was possessed by an evil spirit that threatened to destroy the world. The first time I went through the end game, the wizard was sleeping as if comatose on a slab and I took a magic dagger and plunged it into his heart repeatedly, killing him and the spirit evil power possessing him.

I "saved the world" but in the words of the game, my character dropped the bloody dagger after the deed was done and fell to his knees, crying, thinking that there just HAD to be a better way than to kill the old friend...

So the next time I went through it I figured out a little more and found a way to exorcise the spirit without killing the good wizard.

Anyway, that reminds of me of this situation: The numismatic "world" is saved of one bad AT coin, but it feels like it could have had a better ending than a horribly mutilated coin.

I hadn't thought of that game for many years until now...
  • Options
    It would have made a beautiful neaklace.
  • Options
    duplicate posting, nothing to see here
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>but it feels like it could have had a better ending than a horribly mutilated coin. >>

I find poetry in the mutilation. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

Then the only thing left to do is...send it over. I'll have it melted into a silver 9MM slug and then fire it image
    Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
    Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"
  • Options

<< <i>Personally having owned that coin before it would not have dipped clean. Like all the others I have bought back

it will never see the light of day in my life time. I really am happy to get it back. >>

Eh. Don't let the truth get in the way of my reminiscing of the old days of computing with 64K of RAM! image
  • Options
    You could say the same about capped bust halves. Do you think the coin that was defaced would grade again in 100 years or is it still a pos?
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    POS before.POS after. Nothing here folks. Everyone move along now.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Ill burn my mission oak furniture because it was refinished. Thanks.

I guess in my eyes its just part of the coins pedigree. Who cares if it was at 50 years earlier. They arent making any more the last time I checked.
  • Options
    coindeuce

That's about right. Everyone move along now. All is good.
  • Options

<< <i> All is good. >>

Yeah, all is good.

A $100 coin that was toned in the holder by a small time, relatively amateur coin doctor was sold for 2k!

Yup, move along, nothing to see here.

The good guys win again, no harm no foul.

Forget it ever happened, happened, happened.......
  • Options
    felony
  • Options
    ZENNY dont worry
    its just white collar crime
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    So you finally pulled the auction?
  • Options
    talk about a botched crack out!
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    [ Mike should be commended for not taking the $2225 and running. >>

-------------Thats probably what he would have to do--------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Hey look on the bright side, you can make that a pocket piece. By the time it hits F, no more scratches or toning!
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Why is everyone is support of the ending of this auction?

If I'm the higher bidder, I feel cheated. The auction was a hoax.
    The high bidder is justified to give the seller a neg and report the under bidder to ebay to have them both removed.

How difficult would it of been to end it early or even edit the description?

Yet another reason to move away from ebay and towards auctions by Legend.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just use a sledgehammer or smoething? image
  • Options
    WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO THAT FOR?????? ARE YOU F'IN SICK??? I HAVE PROBLEMS BUYING COINS DUE TO FUNDING, SO I GO FOR THE BEST VAM'S AT A LOWER LEVEL....

IF YOU ARE GOING TO DAMAGE A COIN TO THAT EXTENT, SEND IT TO ME....I HAVE KEPT MY D@MN MOUTH SHUT DURING THIS CRAP BUT DESTROYING A COIN IS GOING TO FAR!!!!!!
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    As I am in receipt of an ignorant and very unfriendly pm from the thread originator I thought i'd clear up my point, for any who did not get it.

This coin was, theoretically and LEGALLY, sold on Ebay.

The seller did not go through with the sale, instead, apparently, selling it back to the small time doctor who created the "value added."

All I was attempting to do was indicate, once again, that all the AT/NT crap that goes on here has very little effect on the market (come on, 2 thousand dollars for that!?!?!?) and not let this thread die too quickly, as I don't believe that what manofcoins has done is anywhere near as bad as what I imagine (and have been repeatedly told) the "real" coin doctors have.

z

ps. I'm "really" happy that manofcoins is really "happy to get it back."

pps. and I "really" commend mike for "not taking the $2225 and running..."

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    So, I never learned if this was AT'd in the holder, or if it had been removed from the holder and somehow put back in.... I would guess toned in the holder but I would like to hear for sure.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    as you'd like

"for sure!"
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is everyone is support of the ending of this auction? If I'm the higher bidder, I feel cheated. The auction was a hoax. The high bidder is justified to give the seller a neg and report the under bidder to ebay to have them both removed. How difficult would it of been to end it early or even edit the description? Yet another reason to move away from ebay and towards auctions by Legend. >>

The auction wasn't ended early. However, as I understand it, the winning bidder was informed that the coin had been doctored and he chose to back out. Without his bid, MOC wins it for one bid increment above 3rd place which is a few hundred bucks. So there was no farce and your prejudice against ebay auctions was unfounded. However, buying coins from Legend isn't a bad idea if you can afford them. She'll probably even give you her honest opinion of whether the coin you're looking at is AT or NT. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>The auction wasn't ended early. However, as I understand it, the winning bidder was informed that the coin had been doctored and he chose to back out... >>

Read manofcoins posts a little more carefully. The buyer wanted the coin anyway!

As this info is coming from manofcoins, it's not clear that this was in fact the case, but if it was it appears that the seller breached his legal duty to go through with the sale.

Are the big guys afraid to touch this one? I know it's not "Battle Creek" but it is a fairly high priced toned coin that would have sold for "Barney money" and was toned by a minor league doctor inside the holder.

Awww, never mind, move along, nothing to see here............
  • Options
    Defacing the coin offends me even more than the AT job - You should stay away from coins and these forums JMHO
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Too bad I can't use the colorful language that comes to mind after reading this thread else I would be banned. I've walked away from the computer screen twice now trying to calm down. The fried egg and bacon sandwich was good, but I am still astounded that anyone would intentionally deface this coin, post a photo of it and then by implication self-congratulate themselves. It leaves me wondering what about being a collector don't you get. Well bully for you two but don't expect attaboys from me.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Too bad I can't use the colorful language that comes to mind after reading this thread else I would be banned. I've walked away from the computer screen twice now trying to calm down. The fried egg and bacon sandwich was good, but I am still astounded that anyone would intentionally deface this coin, post a photo of it and then by implication self-congratulate themselves. It leaves me wondering what about being a collector don't you get. Well bully for you two but don't expect attaboys from me. >>

I am in total agreement with this!

So what if the coin would not have dipped out at a 65. Perhaps a 64 or even a 63 but now, its totally lost to the collecting community and for what? So the doctor that ATed it can feel "really happy" about it? Gimme a break!

I think both parties in this action should not have posted this and pounded their chests because what was done was self serving and unwarranted and really no better than the original ATing!

Edited to add: Now do the right thing and send the label in to PCGS to get it removed from the pop reports! Sheesh!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    To bust it out and dip it is one thing (acceptable), to deface the coin with those scratches is obscene.
    Just my two cents.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    no problems w/ defacing a crappy pla$tic holder, but idiotic to deface a coin, even a common crappy morgan

K S
  • Options
    Now that I have had a few hrs to calm down.... I am with the last 4 posts on this issue. The coin was intentionally toned, there was no going back other than to dip/strip it. Instead of posting the destruction of the coin, it should have been broken out, dipped and resubmitted and the original number taken out of the registry. To go as far as physically destroying the coin was taking it too far. My daughter asked me why I was so upset last night and I told her about the coin. We went back and looked at the original pictures of the coin and she was upset that such a pretty coin was ruined. She does understand the issues underlying the artificial toning of the coin....

But in her words: It is a pretty coin, why is everyone so worried about what it is held in if the owner likes it? Now nobody wants that poor coin.

I have had people ask me why some of my coins look like crap or have been cleaned,

MY ANSWER IS : BUY THE D@MN COIN NOT THE PLASTIC!!!!!!

I buy coins for their eye appeal, rarity or VAM. I don't have a lot of money to spend on coins and I am very proud of the collection that I have...

Unless you are buying to hold the best set, registry set or rarity set....who gives a crap if the coin is AT, NT, whizzed or cleaned....as long as it is not counterfiet or date/mm altered....if you can only afford the cheapest, that leaves the big dogs to fight over points.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭
    Did you dip it after you cracked it out and before you scratched it? Because the before picture sure looks more colorful than the after picture.

Before:

After:

edited to fix picture links
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my website www.vtcoins.com

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Ok. I'm a little disappointed here that it appears to me that MOC was trying hard (perhaps too hard) to show how dedicated he is to removing these coins from the market and actually went too far and is now getting flac for removing the coin to permanently...It's a bit of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" but I didn't enjoy seeing the scratches either.

Perhaps we've learned a lesson here. It appears the vast majority of board members, including myself, would have preferred to see the coin dipped.

--Jerry
  • Options
    Why does "jailhouse religion" come to mind ? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file