Home U.S. Coin Forum

1884CC - grade and comments on photography...

Seems like a good day to just post coins and talk about them...
Struggling with finding ways to capture luster and color... finally just took the photo stand outside in a bright location, not under direct sunlight, and go pretty good photos. Coin is in a PCGS holder... any guesses on grade? Note, neither the luster nor the color are perfectly represented... this is just the best I have thus far at getting both in one photo.

Comments

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    IMHO 64PL image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

Nice images & coin.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    great looking coin!! MS63/64 think the hit on the upper cheek will keep it from a 65

looks a little frosty on the OBV. nice COLOR!!!image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    MS64PL VAM-7
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • JJMJJM Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice 64,...I find the hits on the breasts a bit distracting tho...nice coin and tone otherwise image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37

<< <i>great looking coin!! MS63/64 think the hit on the upper cheek will keep it from a 65

looks a little frosty on the OBV. nice COLOR!!!image >>

Hit? You mean behind the eye? That is a die gouge not hit. That is how I immediately knew it was a VAM-7.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member

• << <i>MS64PL VAM-7 >>

Not a VAM guy... what are the attibutes of a VAM 7?
    oh, I saw the post above.
    That is a die gouge? Is it a common VAM? Would that have detracted from the grade, and would the grade change if the grader knew it as a VAM?
    The die gouge would be observed easily as such and would not have affected the grade at all. The VAM-7 is R-4, just moderately scarce. The later state, VAM-7A, with an extensive reverse crack and break, is the (R-6) key variety for the date.

Here is my write-up on the VAM-7A. You can see the die gouge on it too. That one (7A) is unknown and would be wholly unexpected in proofile condition.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭

TC71

• Very cool Coxe, and the info is appreciated.

The coin itself is grades MS64 DMPL by PCCGS. The frost is much heavier than I was able to show under full natural daylight. All in all, a really nice 64 with a great rainbow of color on both sides.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

Thanks Coxe......Not to "up" on ALL of the 3000+ different VAMs.

first day here....learned something already! Another wrinkle on the brain.image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll leave the grade guesses to those with more experience.

However, the photos are a bit overexposed (too bright/white)....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

• << <i>I'll leave the grade guesses to those with more experience.

However, the photos are a bit overexposed (too bright/white)....Mike >>

I agree... it possibly was the bright day combined with mirrored surfaces.
    Here is an indoor photo
  • p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    That coin deserves to be in a 65 or 66 holder if it isn't already. I love it!
  • I am not a morgan expert. I bought this primarily because I love the look of the morgan, and wanted one DMPL CC dollar. I paid too much...image to be sure...
    I don't know if it would benefit from the crack out game. Would I love this to be in a 66DMPL holder? Sure.
    But, not worth the time, risk, or effort.
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll leave the grade guesses to those with more experience.

However, the photos are a bit overexposed (too bright/white)....Mike >>

I agree... it possibly was the bright day combined with mirrored surfaces.
    Here is an indoor photo
    image >>

Reverse struck from rusty dies as seen on that date sometimes.
  • Would rusty dies account for the spotting in the frost? Those aren't hits, of that I am 90% sure...
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭

<< <i>Would rusty dies account for the spotting in the frost? Those aren't hits, of that I am 90% sure... >>

Yes.......makes the breast and wing feathers appear splotchy and weakly struck.
  • That's why I love this place. Post a pic, and learn at least 2 new things about a coin!
  • MS64 PB (plucked breast) !!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file