Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Feedback on Photography, please.

I like the buffalo nickel and the CHD images. The CWT is okay, as is the elongated IHC.

The toned Morgan looks nothing like that and the Victoria piece looks far too red.

I did not use flash on these images, but rather a halogen desk lamp and a clamp lamp with a reveal bulb in it. I tried to fix whitebalence in my computer program (Corel Photoalbum 6), but I do not think I did the right thing.

These were taken with a Sony CyberShot on a tripod.

On a side note, it appears my memory stick is corrupted, as it would not let me take pictures to it just now. The stick is empty, but it said there was no room. Am I going to be in big trouble with my dad, or is there a way to fix this?

Taking pictures is hard. image

Thanks in advance! image

-Amanda

PS- I apologise for the darkside stuff. image

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA

Comments

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Pretty good, the copper is a little dark. I always have trouble with brown copper.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349

<< <i>Pretty good, the copper is a little dark. I always have trouble with brown copper. >>

Me too, I want to learn how to make it not look so red.

Thanks. image

-Amanda

• Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    Try correcting the white balance and photographing the dark copper on different color backgrounds. Its going to take some time but the correct background will work wonders and help with correcting the exposure.

View this thread for evidence of the drastic improvements a new background can do for you.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Amanda, I like how the buffalo and canadian thingy came out. image As for the copper, it seems your white balance is correct, but the camera is probably not picking up the grey point correctly. I took one of your photos and used levels on it, slid the grey point slider to the left. Take a look and tell me if it looks more like the coin in-hand.

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    You need to use indirect lighting to remove some of the glare; otherwise, those pics are pretty good.

As for your flash memory stick, try putting it in your computer. Go into My Computer and highlight, but don't open it. Then do a right mouse click and select properties. That should tell you how full it really is.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Oh yes and the memory stick, you can probably just connect it to the computer and re-format it.
  • Options
    Amanda, not sure about your Sony, but my Canon (nothing special) has three different modes that the camera uses to measure incoming light for exposure adjustment; "Evaluative," "Center," and "Spot". "Spot" is the mode I use because as it's name implies, it concentrates on the coin and ignores the area around it. If you have a dark coin and a light background, the camera is adjusting for all the light flooding in from around the coin and the coin ends up underexposed.

Break out that manual and see what it says about white balance, also. I'll bet your camera has a mode that will let you adjust everything you need to.

And p8nt, that's an amazing difference in the thread you referenced. Great pictures. That 28 is really nice.

• Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    Yes, Robert, that looks a lot like the coin in hand. image

Newb, I do have different metering modes, I should experiment with them. image My manual, by the way, is poorly translated Japanese, so, it's not so good.

P8nt, that's an amazing difference. I was using a white background already, though.

My memory stick is not flash based, I don't think. At least it's not a USB flash drive. It's the memory stick for my camera, like a memory card.

Thanks, everyone! image

-Amanda

• Options
    Amanda,

What kind of flash memory does your camera take? Compact Flash? SD Memory Card? Memory Stick? It should say right on it.
    Your camera, in its options, will have an option to Format Memory Card. Do that. Everything should be okay after that.

Good luck,

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file