Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS certifies dated, mint-specific blank planchet

When the Sacagawea dollar was introduced in 2000, the TPGs were convinced to label blank planchets certified before 31 Dec 2000 as Year 2000 blank planchets. This was the first time, to my knowledge, that a blank planchet was certified to be tied to a specific year of production.

Earlier this year, a man submitted an entire unopened, original U.S. Mint wrapped roll of 2006-P Sacagawea dollars to PCGS for certification. In the process of grading the 25 dollar coins, PCGS discovered a Type II blank planchet. Since the planchet was clearly intended to be a 2006-P Sacagawea dollar, PCGS certified the planchet as a 2006-P blank planchet.

To my knowledge, this is a unique circumstance. Not only is it the only blank planchet certified to be a product of 2006 production, it is the only blank plachet whose "branch mint of origin" is certainly known.

Thought a few of you might be interested.

There is also a page for this coin my Sac collection: The Lothlórien Collection of Sacagawea Dollars.

- Kevin

Edited to add: It has been brought to my attention that at least one 40% silver Washington quarter blank planchet exists. This planchet was only used in San Francisco in 1976. So, the 2006-P Sac blank planchet is actually the second specimen of this type.

Comments

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He must have submitted an unopened OBW roll to PCGS.
    Cool info, thanks for sharing.image
  • Options
    Thanks for putting together a nice bit of information for us Sackie collectors....image..I have bookmarked the site for future reference..
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    was definately in an unopened bank roll or bag
  • Options

<< <i>He must have submitted an unopened OBW roll to PCGS. >>

Wouldn't that have been an unopened OMW roll to PCGS? (original mint wraped)image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if any of the ones in that roll got BB for any reason?
  • Options
    Yes, I neglected to describe the submitted roll as an entire "original, unopened, U.S. mint-wrapped" roll of 2006-P Sacagawea dollars.

- Kevin
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Now, THAT is cool!

I'm curious, though. How did tha planchet get so dinged up? It has far more hits than a struck coin would.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

Looks like a 62 to me
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it was submitted in 2000
  • Options
    Russ - most of the (Sac) Type II blank planchets I have seen are dinged up like this one is. I guess the minting process obliterates most or all of them.

- Kevin
  • Options
    I'm totally down with certifying planchets but assigning a grade to a disk that has no devices to me is silly.
    I used to have a pretty decent set of planchets.
    http://www.error-coins.com/blanks/blanks.html
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now, THAT is cool!

I'm curious, though. How did tha planchet get so dinged up? It has far more hits than a struck coin would.

Russ, NCNE >>

If you have some time to kill, watch the Mint's video on how coins are made. The rinses amount to dumping them into big tubs similar to wahsing machines! I strongly suspect that the planchet you see is just typical and that the minting process fills in most of the nicks and scratches .

Forgot to add, cool Lothlorien Collection!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    Cool story Kevin, so lucky that the roll was submitted whole--what are the odds of that--most people open up the roll to search out the nicer ones first before submitting.

Russ
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>How did tha planchet get so dinged up? It has far more hits than a struck coin would. >>

Most of the nicks and marks are flattened away completely during striking. The surface of most planchets are covered with small nicks and the larger the coin the heavier the nicks.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently the mint intentionally dings these up to make them easier to handle.

On the clad coins and nickels these marks are rarely completely obliterated. They
    are seen most often at the highest points of the design where metal movement is
    lesser as well as around the rim. These outer ones tend to be more severe and are
    often referred to as "chicken scratches".

The 1969 quarter is probably the poster child for planchet marking. Most of these
    are heavily marked.

A good way to see these is to find a mint set coin struck on a regular planchet and
    another struck on a burnished planchet. Perhaps the most dramatic way to see them
    is to look at a heavily off center coin. The unstruck portion will be heavily marked but
    most of the marks are invisable on the struck portion. It's not difficult to find an exam-
    ple where a scratch is visible on both portions.

This is not nearly so much of a problem with softer metals but has always been a pro-
    blem with copper nickel.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW commemoratives also often show the planchet marks.

By the way, that is one cool "coin." I, too, wonder how and why PCGS arrived at its MS61 grade....

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat piece.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>By the way, that is one cool "coin." I, too, wonder how and why PCGS arrived at its MS61 grade.... >>

The long scratch running across the planchet from 4 o'clock to 10 o'clock is the reason it was graded MS61. imho
  • Options
    I have edited the original post to include the following information:

It has been brought to my attention that at least one 40% silver Washington quarter blank planchet exists. This planchet was only used in San Francisco in 1976. So, the 2006-P Sac blank planchet is actually the second specimen of this type.

- Kevin
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Very nice, KevinniveK.image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I wonder why the guy submitted the roll in the first place?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file