Home U.S. Coin Forum

Feedback on photography

Okay, I just got my copy stand, and had two lamps ready to go (I may need a 3rd) and took some pics to test my skills.
I did one copper (a medal with interesting subtle colors)
And I did a nickel with really nice luster AND subtle colors to see if I could get both
imageimage

On the copper, I just positioned one light to each side of the token on an angle of about 30 degrees and then tilted the token a tiny bit to bring up the colors.

On the Jefferson I did the same, but used a piece of white paper across the top of the lights to partially block the light, which seemed to bring up the colors, and show the luster. I am not sure if I could exactly reproduce the photos.

I think they represent the coins REALLY well.

But, what do you all think? From looking, and tips or ideas? Is the clarity good? Would I benefit from more lighting, or would I lose color?

Comments

• 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Photos look nice to me.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I think that the lighting is fine. Adding more light and you'll lose contrast/ color intrensity.

The copper is a little out of focus bottom right. Are you using a high aperture?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • I struggled with focus. I am using a nikon coolpix 3.2megapixel that has the 'close up' mode (yeah, I don't know the actual terminology). I turned off flash, turned on the close up mode, and zoomed as close as possible without losing focus. I may simply be getting way to close to the coin and losing some focus. I could clearly move further away as I had to reduce size by 60% to get them to this size... so maybe I'll back away a bit and see if the focus improves.
    Do you have aperture priority mode "A" on the dial?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • No, the camera has nothing but presets on the dial. I'd have to go into the menu to change aperature. What does mode A do?
    A mode allows you to set the aperture where you want is (high in this case for depth of focus) and the camera will adjust the shutter speed to get the exposure correct. If you don't got it, don't worry, the pics are pretty dang nice already.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file