Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Photography tip for cameo proof coins

What you hold over the coin has a great effect on how the cameos show up. In the first image something light colored was held over the coin and in the second image something dark was held over the image. Both images are helpful in determining the true nature of the coin. In one you can see the toning and in the other you can see if there is any haze and how the cameos look.

Comments

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Those are both great pics and some useful info to go along with them.

But the heck with that, what a beautiful coin.image

-----------

etexmike
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tip. That coin sure looks cameo based on the second picture you provided.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    Very nice images, and another super coin. What is the something light and something dark?
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    The dark thing was a book bound in black leather and the white thing was a few sheets of white paper.
  • Options
    LOL....Great coin! I have found that great looking coins make the best pics too....ratty coins look bad in hand and look worse when photo'd....
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting...and I wouldn't have thought of it in a million years. I've got some Franky Proofs to photograph soon and I'm going to try this technique. Thanks Anaconda!

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the valuable tip, Anaconda !!! image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    image demonstration and a VERY image coin.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    The mirrored fields do actually act like a mirror and reflect what is in front of them.

It works on modern crap as well

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666
    great info anaconda, i`ll definately try this on proof shots. image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Does it make any difference with a pcgs holder or ngc holder??
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    That's very interesting - thanks for the tip. I misunderstood and thought you were shooting though something between the coin and the lens like dark colored glass.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Adrian, can we see the reverse?
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip. I use a similiar method to detect faint copper spots on gold. If you hold a white piece of paper next to the coin when you view it, you can detect the copper spots more readily.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Nice photos and really nice coin. However, it may just be the way you posted the photos. I would suggest you send me that coin so I can see for myself. If it dosen't get back to you, oh well.
    Carl
  • Options
    Adrian, thanks!! GREAT TIP which may have application with PL coins as well, have to give it a try with the dfficult-to-photo 1999 SMS SBAs and PL Ikes.

I had the pleasure of an adjoining table at the Baltimore Spring show and damn near passed out as you handed over wonder coin after wonder coin for my in-hand pleasure! You and Brian were just terrific neighbors. Rob Ezerman
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I like the second better.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    great pics, and Ill say I like the second best.

having both photos in an auction listing would be outstanding IMHO image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Does it make any difference with a pcgs holder or ngc holder??

No.
  • Options
    As per the request....:

imageimage
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adrian: I'll bet that it also works well for PL/DMPL Morgan Dollars... image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    It does.
  • Options
    lemmee see if i get this.

i take a couple sheets of white paper,or i sheet of construction paper and punch a hole just big enough to fit over the OD of the camera lens snugly.

Do the same with black paper.

i get 2 totally different shots because of what is reflected back to the camera ?
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i get 2 totally different shots because of what is reflected back to the camera ? >>

I'm confused too. I thought you held the paper up to filter the light source.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    I guess it was another forum where I posted that I spray painted my silver camera flat black. I just masked off the view finder and lens. Works great. Much better than a reflection of a silver camera in a proof coin. Also allows straight on shots instead of angle shots. Works great.

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    "lemmee see if i get this.

i take a couple sheets of white paper,or i sheet of construction paper and punch a hole just big enough to fit over the OD of the camera lens snugly.

Do the same with black paper.

i get 2 totally different shots because of what is reflected back to the camera ?"

No. You shoot the coin at an angle. The camera doesn't see itself in the mirrors, it sees the black or white surface reflected in the mirrors. If you shoot the coin straight on (having the film plane parrallel to the coin, the camera sees only itself reflected by the coin. The trick is shooting the coin at an angle.
  • Options
    I am confused as to where you hold the paper without interfering with the lens.image
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    Think of a 'V'.

The top left hand point of the V is where you hold the camera. It's pointed at the bottom of the V. The bottom of the V is the coin. The top right hand point of the V is where you hold the black or white thingy. When you orient the coin correctly, the appearance of the black or white thingy is reflected off the surface of the coin and onto the film plane on the camera.

(Think of it like this. If you hold a mirror so that the surface of the mirror is parallel to the back of your eyeball, you will see yourself reflected in the mirror. As you tilt the mirror, you start to not see all of yourself in the mirror. If you continue to tilt the mirror, you will eventually not see yourself but you will see other things that are in the room with you. The back of your eyeball is the film plane of the camera, the mirror is the coin and you and the things in the room are the black or white thingies and the things in the room.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file