Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New photography article online.

mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
Same link as my sigline. I made a "lighting shootout".image
coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Comments

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding work, Mark. image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, proper use of lighting is more important than what type of lighting.

Good information.
    Thanks!

peacockcoins

• Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    printed,Thanks!image
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    cool, great work as always
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Thanks!
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Good info. Thanks!
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Great article Mark.

But I think you are wasting valuable time. Don't you have some coins to image?image

-----------

etexmike
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Thanks for being generous with your knowledge. Bookmarked.
  • Options
    Great work. Thanks!
  • Options
    Another fantastic article, Mark - thanks for posting it!

Ken
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent work!
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Great article. Thanks for sharing.

In the article, you say:

At this point, I still haven’t figured out why I was getting inconsistent results with the white balance on both the fluorescent light and the Ott
    light.

One reason for inconsistent results with fluroescent bulbes is that they are actually turning on and off (at 60 cycles/second, IIRC). With shutter speeds in this neighborhood or faster, you will get strange color shifts due to the flashing nature of fluroescent lighting. [edited to add you talk about this later in the article]

Another reason for this shift could be that fluroescent bulbs shift color spectrum according to how long they've been on (you seem to arrive at this conclusion too) -- this is a fact. This can usually be seen best for the first few seconds after you turn on a bulb, but happens for a longer period of time than you can easily see.

Take care...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

<< <i>Great article. Thanks for sharing.

In the article, you say:

At this point, I still haven’t figured out why I was getting inconsistent results with the white balance on both the fluorescent light and the Ott
    light.

One reason for inconsistent results with fluroescent bulbes is that they are actually turning on and off (at 60 cycles/second, IIRC). With shutter speeds in this neighborhood or faster, you will get strange color shifts due to the flashing nature of fluroescent lighting.

Another reason for this shift could be that fluroescent bulbs shift color spectrum according to how long they've been on. This can usually be seen best for the first few seconds after you turn on a bulb, but happens for a longer period of time than you can easily see.

Take care...Mike >>

You must read on farther than you did, my friend. I make the same points later in the article.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    great work. Saved to HD!image
    Gary
  • Options

<< <i>You must read on farther than you did, my friend. I make the same points later in the article.image >>

I got so excited that I was going to let you in on something, I couldn't wait. I should've known. image

• Options
    I kinda worked the article in the sequence that I figured things out. So it's kinda a coin photography bedtime story.
  • Options
    Excellent work, Mark. Your work is so valuable to those of us that want to make better pics, but just don't have the time or the expertise to make it happen. Thanks!
  • Options
    In the article you say:

Get as much light bulb wattage as you can, the faster shutter speeds will pay off in sharper pictures. This is mainly an issue at larger image
    sizes.

Why do you say this?

IMHO, a good tripod, remote shutter release, and shutter delay will all make a much greater impact on the sharpness of a photo than amount of light / shutter speed. In fact, unless there is a shortcoming in your equipment, shutter speed will make no difference whatsoever...Mike
  • Options
    One more thing, instead of measuring white balance in two dimensions, you should consider using your grey card and average a large area into three numbers -- R, G, and B. This will allow you to measure it in three dimensions.

Again, excellent work Mark....Mike
  • Options

<< <i>In the article you say:

Get as much light bulb wattage as you can, the faster shutter speeds will pay off in sharper pictures. This is mainly an issue at larger image
    sizes.

Why do you say this?

IMHO, a good tripod, remote shutter release, and shutter delay will all make a much greater impact on the sharpness of a photo than amount of light / shutter speed. In fact, unless there is a shortcoming in your equipment, shutter speed will make no difference whatsoever...Mike >>

i was only talking lighting in the article. i go into that kinda stuff in my main article.

Even with the sturdy setup I have now, i can see small differences in sharpness with faster shutter. It's small, but a real factor.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Hey Mark,

Does it make a difference what lighting you use for gold coins? Do you have a reflector behind the bulbs or use the bulbs naked?

Thank you!
    Rgrds
    Tom
  • Options
    I think gold should act pretty much like silver or copper. I would just use naked bulbs. Allows you to get the lights in closer to the camera.
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Excellent. I learn something every time you post. So stay healthy and busy. image jws
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    Great article Mark.

Dang this light thingy...... I started out with softwhite to reveall to Par30 flood to florescent to reveall, which I've been usuing as of late. I think I'll try the PAr 30's again.

So you like the "greycard"........my copystand base is grey, will that do for setting white balance??

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Thank you in spades! An example of the forum working as it should.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    Gray cards are cheap. You copystand base may work. White paper is OK also.
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    It appears that as long as one sets the white balance at the beginning of shooting that pretty much similar images result. Do you find that to be the case? I can only get two sets of images on the screen at the same time, but they all seem to be about the same color balance.
    Very nice work and thank you for the article.

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    If you don't change the olighting any you shouldn't need to recheck the WB.
  • Options
    Great articles, mgoodm3.

I was thinking about getting an Ott light until I read your paper on lighting. Following your guide, simply by using a bright soft white bulb close to the camera my pictures have improved dramatically.

Still I would think that an Ott light would have several advantages. It's lots cooler, the light is more diffuse, and it's closer to "white" than an incandescent bulb.

White balance is off: paper background looks yellow. IrfanView doesn't fix WB, so I will either have to look for freeware that does, or figure out how to do it on the camera. It's possible, according to the user manual.

My camera has a macro setting, but 5" is about the closest the camera will still autofocus. At this distance a small cent occupies about 1/4 of the vertical height of the image. Can zoom in, but then have to compensate by backing up, so no net gain in pixels.

Have to be careful to hold the camera exactly parallel to the plane of the coin, or else one edge of the coin ends up slightly out of focus. A tripod or stand should help. Doesn't seem to be any motion blur though.

Blow-ups are still a bit jagged - I mean pixellated, not grainy. Brighter bulb does help - I guess it makes the shutter speed faster.

For a cheap 6.3 Mp point-and-shoot, the camera has a lot of flexibility. It can be completely automatic, or use shutter priority or aperture priority modes. Or manually set everything: aperture (f/2.8-f/4.7), shutter speed, exposure comp, ISO, WB, etc. Unfortunately I am a Compleat Idiot when it comes to photography so it will take me a long time to figure all this stuff out.

• Options
    If you set the WB of the camera to incandescent, it should do well with plain lightbulbs. The only problem with the Ott light is that you will need a good WB setting. You can try sunlight setting which may give pretty good results, if not you'll need a WB preset where the camera measures the WB. The Ott light will work prett well with smaller cameras where you can't get the light as close in and as high of an angle as an SLR. The diffused light will help some in that situation.

Some cameras have several fluorescent settings for wb. If it has a daylight fluorescent WB setting, you'll want to try that out.
  • Options
    Does the Ott light have the same problem with the 60 Hz phosphor refresh rate you mentioned with other fluorescent bulbs? I would think if it's bright enough the shutter speed will automatically be faster than 1/60 anyway...
  • Options
    Ott light has the same prob as other fluorescents. I never ran into it with the Ott light because they are relatively low wattage and getting the shutter speed above 1/60 takes some effort.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I can ever find (or afford) a grey card, I'll think about it... in the meantime, I might as well rub a lamp, I'll get some quicker.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Aha! With a 100-watt soft-white bulb, the Incandescent preset gave the truest color, at least with a bright copper cent. It actually worked better than the manual setting, probably because the paper is not really white. Guess I would need a true white card to use manual.

This is great! In two quantum jumps, for zero cost, my pictures have improved more than I could have imagined. Thanks again.

But man that bulb really heats up fast. At 4 to 5 inches from a slab you definitely don't want to leave it on for long! I think I'll try an Ott twisty bulb.
  • Options
    Thanks. I got a tripod now. I'm still getting better pics with the scanner. My guess is using a Canon SD400. I wish I still had my Digital Rebel to use.
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for taking the time to pass on your insights on photography.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file