Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Photography question. New set up and pics.

MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
I'm using a coolpix 885 with the iso @400 (for increased depth of field and the exp at +0.3. I use a gray card to adjust white balance just prior to shooting the pictures. Now, my set-up is as follows. The coin in an airtite (cover off, so raw coin surface is the subject). The coin is sitting on a black cloth (on a table) and faces a large picture window. Illumination is ambient natural light (indirect) coming through the window. The camera is sitting on the table with the lens 2-3 inches from the face of the coin and displaced from TDC by about 10 degrees. The shot is taken in macro-mode using the timer (no flash). The following picture were just taken. The color is quite good, the luster does not show up at all - these are both very nice cartwheel coins. Any comments on the set-up? Any suggestions for capturing the luster? Does anyone use a polarizer or a UV filter in shooting coins? Thanks.

imageimage

imageimage
There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
–John Adams, 1826

Comments

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both MS64 ?
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Judging from the photos, I'd give them a 64 also. Very nice looking Morgans. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need light from a direct spot (ie, a lamp) to really get lustre... the light you are using is equivalent to using diffused light. Here are pictures of the same coin with diffused light and multiple, undiffused lamps:

Not really great pictures, but you get the idea.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64, but the first one is the strongest coin of the two both in color and detail and could be higher,...did you crack them out of a TPGS?
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno , I like the 87 too......image

both very nice

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    Thanks for your input folks. No these are not crackouts. Both coins were purchased raw from the local coin shop. The first about two years ago and the second about six months ago. Jeremy, I'll give that lamp a try and post the results later. Thanks again.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    polarizers don't work well for coins. The problem with polarizers is that polarization of light is strongest at low angles (optimum 37 degrees). Most coins are shot at high angles where polarization is minimal.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    OK, here is the 84-O with the following set up. Same settings as above, the white balance was set just prior to shooting a series. The lamps house 60 Watt Reveal bulbs and sit about eight inches from the coin. The camera sits between the lamps with the lens about three inches from the coin.

Set up. image

Now, I think the luster does show better on these shots than those shown in the first posting - but the colors are not right - too much salmon where there should be crimson. Not enough yellow. The yellow is pretty washed out or somewhat green. The blue is too baby blue. The reverse is "blast white" (silver) without a hint of blue - I sure do see a lot of blue in these new reverse pics This is one step forward and one step back. I like the originals posted up top much better at this stage of the game. I'll have to continue experimenting. Again, any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

imageimage

imageimage
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    The latest round of photos are overexposed.

You will find that there is a tradeoff between portraying luster and portraying color. I would suggest that you continue to experiment to see what appeals to you.

As others have pointed out, a diffused light source (such as a window) will tend to show the color well, but not the luster. One (or more) point sources of lights (such as a bulb & fixture) will tend to show the luster better. Personally, I prefer Morgan dollars shot with a single light at 12 o'clock.

Shooting the coin raw gives you an advantage as reflected light from the slab is not a concern.

One piece of advice, particularly on the first shots (which I like a alot) -- correct the perspective distortion of the coin in post-processing (i.e. make the coin look circular, not oval in shape).

Hope this helps...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Angle of light makes a big difference. Here is the look of one halogen light perpendicular to the coin (and above). I also used iso 400 and f/9. ISO doesn't increase depth of field, only sensitivity to light.

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ISO doesn't increase depth of field, only sensitivity to light. >>

I was going to say the same thing, but a higher ISO does allow you to use a higher aperture while maintaining a reasonable shutter speed.

That being said, I use the lowest ISO allowable by the camera. Get cleaner pics.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file