Home U.S. Coin Forum

Help with coin photography. *Photo Fixed*

My dad has a Sony Cybershot DSC-F828. Yesterday I spent about two hours taking photo's of my coins, the best of which I will post below. My problem is that I have to get almost 1/2"-1" away to take a clear photo. Using the zoom is pretty worthless as it blurs the image right away.

Would a macro lens help with being able to position the camera further away, also allowing more light to hit the coin? With it being so close now it's hard to get any kind of light on the coin.

Thank you.
WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!

Comments

• JoshLJoshL Posts: 656 ✭✭

I love coins...image
  • BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    Silly me. Copied it from another website. My apologies.

Give me one moment.

Edit: Fixed. Sorry for the quality.....pathetic.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

• You have to have a macro to get descent shots of coins with a camera.........though some folks are pretty handy with a scanner image

<< <i>You have to have a macro to get descent shots of coins with a camera.........though some folks are pretty handy with a scanner image >>

Are you talking about a macro lens or the setting? These were taken on the macro setting. My scanner does great on notes but any coin with luster, forget about it. Leaves a flat, dull grey image. That's why I want to get into photographing my collection.

Camera Specs

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    The key to reaqlly good lighting is to get the camera as far away as you can get it. Most cameras allow some zoom in macro mode, but it sounds like yours doesn't. may help get an add-on macro lens.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

<< <i>The key to reaqlly good lighting is to get the camera as far away as you can get it. Most cameras allow some zoom in macro mode, but it sounds like yours doesn't. may help get an add-on macro lens. >>

That's what I was thinking. Getting any further away, no matter what zoom level it's on, creates a blurry image.

Lens - Good deal?

Any suggestions on lenses are welcomed.

Anyone else offer some help?

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I've never played with add-on macro lens before, so I can't help much.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file