Home U.S. Coin Forum

Wrote me an article on coin photography.

mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
I wrote this article for Longacre's Ledger, and if just by chance if you don't get that journal, I have posted a link to it. It puts into words and pictures most of what I believe about taking coin pics. It's 1.8 Mbytes and in MSWord format.

It was my first scholarly writing.image
coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Comments

• i read it yesterday. good read!
    Nick
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Great article. I learned a lot. Thanks.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Excellent article!
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Hey, if you have any questions, need for clarification, I'm looking for topics for a followup.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting.
    Your article gave me some ideas to go back through my camera manual, and experiment.

I am still trying to figure out why I can't get the right combinations of settings with my Sony DCP-10

5 MP, with Macro capability.
    I use a small tripod
    I set camera about 8-10 in above, on a black base and use about 2x zoom. (If I get too close or zoom too much, I loose focus)
    I also use the Timer setting to reduce movement, and potentail reflections.
    I have tried Sunlight, 'Martyvison" reveal bulbs, compact flourecent.

Camera is Gray and Silver, I'll have to try to hit some areas with a sharpie.

I might try some aquarium bulbs next.

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image I'm going to check it out, thanks!
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent article. I'm glad you chose the Longacre's Ledger. Thanks.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Excellent summary of important basics which form a cohesive whole in your piece. Marvelous work. Well written, Thank You!!!!!

I was especially delighted to learn your observations of the benefits of SLR cameras. My superb but already old Nikon 880 cool pix doesn't have manual focus (that I can find, LOL) and the antiquated tiny low-def viewing screen is a pain. I wind up with most pics focused lovingly on the surface of the holder but raw coin pics are great. Guess an SLR is in the cards.

For follow-up, perhaps run a more detailed piece on small-point sources of light like most halogens, vrs medium sources (incandesent bulbs and Ott lamps) vrs large diffuse sources. I've had some decent results with a narrow-spread spot light about 5 feet from the coin with the camera just off the beam. Not unrelated, some use out-of-doors sunlight with excellent results (thse are not New Englanders, by golly).

Thanks again! Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Too Cool Mark! Thank You for sharing your knowledge.

I'm going to read thru it later this evening and see what i can do to improve my coin photo skills

• that was a nice article to read.

downloaded it for future reference and testing.

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very well done!

• tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Very cool, thank you very, very much. I will study it intently. I would LOVE to be able to duplicate your quality.

Tom
    Tom

• pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    thanks for sharing your secrets mark, I hope you have more to follow image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • ram1946ram1946 Posts: 762 ✭✭
    Thank you very much. Easy to follow and a wealth of quality information. It certainly will help me in getting better images.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Great article Mark....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellant article. A must read for anyone interested in coin photography., and just in time for that toned Lincoln contestimage

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Great article. thanks, mgoodm3
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoyed seeing it in the Longacres Ledger. Thanks for writing it. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Looks really good! I've downloaded it for reading. Thanks for sharing, Mark!

Ken
  • That is a very good article! There were many helpful hints. I'll have to try your slab preparation techniques the next time I shoot my coins.
    Thanks!
  • Great article. Nicely pulls everything together than I have tried to do piecemeal from the various posts on this forum.

This would be a great article for the Numismatist magazine.

Mark should e-mail a copy to Heritage as well (heck they might even pay for it)! image
  • here is my first attempt using your method:

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice pic. I'd do two lights on a high-contrast coin such as that. Will get more even lighting of the frost.

Thanks all.image
  • TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Nice article; straight forward and easy to understand. I saved it also. Thank you.
    Trime
  • GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Nice work saved in favorites.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Mark, terrific article and the best I have read on the subject. I have also learned the art of patience in this whole process. I use am Olympus 5050 zoom and never thought I would have the patience to learn all the features on macro photography. When I have a half hour I get the camera out and the parts of the manual that are on point and read and mess around with the camera. It has a my mode setting that you can actually preset many of the options to reduce time when shooting and in my case to avoid forgetting something in the settings.

I can't emphasis enough to spend the money on a sturdy tripod. I picked one up at staples for about twenty bucks and it expands out to two feet. As you mentioned sometimes you need some distance. As important to me as the camera and stand is photoshop elements. 4.0 is out now and I see you can buy the box version at amazon for about $85 and oem for $45. I have 2.0 which cost me $25 on ebay. I have spent hours just messing around with all of its option, patience again. I see now that there is a 362 page paperback out on 4.0 which when I buy it I will purchase the book too.

I like the Ott lights because you can hand hold them to adjust for glare and lighting, problem is at my age they shake a little. image

Thanks again for your article.
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Very Helpful image. Thanks! - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Great article. My printer and computer are pretty old so it took a long time to open the article and just about used up a printer cartridge to print it out. Good reference document.
    Carl
  • Great article!! Here's my newest pic after buying a new lamp today...

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about. -Benjamin Franklin-
  • fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    MSword? that alone turned me off from reading it. try PDF next time.
    but i will download open office to read it in the future, so thanks
    for the effort.
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I downloaded it and read it.
    Next day the Ledger came in the mail and read it again.
    Don't matter what it's in it's just a great read. image
    Larry

• Excellent article Mark thanks for sharing it with us.
    Bill

09/07/2006

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file