Home U.S. Coin Forum

ANR--Top notch auctions, now getting into photography, but what can be done to bolster its Retail Bu

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I am a big fan of ANR. There are also others on these boards who will agree that ANR's auctions and catalogs are second to none, and the sales get great results for the consignors. They always seem to have several "hook" coins in their auctions, too (I am not sure where all of these great consignments come from). There was also a thread yesterday about how ANR is now getting into the coin photography business. I think this is a great move because their pictures are excellent.

Honestly, what I see lagging with ANR is their retail coin business. I am not an insider, so I have no visibility to their financials, and I am not sure if my view of things is accurate. I can only speak from my own experience. I sometimes forget to check out ANR's retail coin inventory for coins for my collection. I visit their website every day (several times a day, actually), and I always read the new edition of Dave's Notes, their Coin News section, view their auctions online, etc. I even venture into the retail section of the website, but I always click on the books section to see what new books they have. I almost never click on their coin inventory for some reason.

Therefore, what do you think ANR can do, if anything, to bolster its retail coin business? Again, maybe I am totally off the mark and they do a booming business in retail sales, but if the boards are any indication, I hardly ever see anyone post a picture of a coin that they bought from the ANR website (although there are several people who post auction wins). What do you think about this, or do you think that ANR views itself primarily as an auction company, and is almost forced to keep a retail inventory, because that it what people might expect them to do?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANR's coins are priced at high retail levels. I almost think they are catering their retail business to wealthy buyers who don't have time to comparison shop.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ANR's coins are priced at high retail levels. I almost think they are catering their retail business to wealthy buyers who don't have time to comparison shop. >>

• BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    I'm not sure ANR cares all that much about the retail market as they have very quickly climbed to the top of the heap in the auction arena. IMHO ANR should put more effort into the the retail sales, or just get out of it all together. The coins they sell don't even come close to what they put up in auction. Their retail end almost seems like an afterthought.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    As long as they don't get inito the slabbing biz, I'll be happy...

• << <i>ANR's coins are priced at high retail levels. I almost think they are catering their retail business to wealthy buyers who don't have time to comparison shop. >>

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why worry about it. They are a business.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    I have purchased three coins from "The Coin Shop" at ANR. All three were competively priced and very nice! You get what you pay for from ANRimage

ANR has always been very willing to work with me on any and all issues.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess that they are not too concerned about it. Remember, they have done it all before at B&M. In the later years of B&M, I do not imagine that their retail business was a large contributor to their bottom line, either. I would imagine that they are doing well enough in retail at ANR or they would exit that line. Remember, they are competing with hugely successful retail firms like Blanchard whose prices are not especially competitive to the dedicated collector. I have noticed that their inventory does turn over, albeit slowly, but if they are in the coins "right", it is probably quick enough.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melissa could hand deliver every coin. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file