Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the NBT (next big thing) for the numismatic industry?

-- There was the advent of TPG's

-- Then there was the internet as an enablinig technology

....so what do you think will be a catalyst for the next paradigm shift -- or the NBT?

Comments

• Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Teflon coins with rfi transmitters
  • Options
    Laser scan computer grading. All that's left is eye appeal, no more problems with who is the best TPG service...IMHO....image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    100 point grading scale. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I thought you had an idea for the NBT, mercurydimeguy! image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    howdy doody
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought you had an idea for the NBT, mercurydimeguy! image >>

ssshhh image

i'm gathering business intelligence image
  • Options
    100 point grading scale.

I'm just counting the days...
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    How about learning to grade one's favorite series to a consistent standard? And learn what the market values in regard to eye appeal? That would make one immune to most any TPG initiative.
  • Options

What I can glean from the responses thus far, would this be an accurate categorization:

"Raising the level of awareness and consumer education about coin grading, coin pricing and overall market trends"

I'm sure more will come...but is the above accurate thus far?
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The WeissCo Spinner Slab, of course: image

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More widgets- they shouldn't exist, but some how they do!
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    plastic coins in metal slabs?
  • Options
    2bucks2bucks Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    The Coin Vault is going to be on prime time every night!
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Howdy doody."

So it always degrades into a post about defecation!image
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CCGS:

China
    Coin
    Grading
    Service

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Revolutionary coin whizzing accepted by all the experts and it removes all those spots and toning and make coins better than the day they were minted!image

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The WeissCo Spinner Slab, of course: image

image >>

THAT would be freakin awesome
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The next REALLY BIG thing is the crash after all the baby boomers move into nursing homes. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Hopefully consistent grading..image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Yea, the 100 point grading scale.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    Most likely: the 100 point grading scale.
    Worst case: a scandal and bankruptcy of NGC and/or PCGS which will destroy market confidence in TPG's
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the next big thing will be some unforeseen economic event.

Suppose we had a flu pandemic like they've been talking about - that could cause all sorts of market havoc. Go read up on the Spanish flu in 1917-1918, it is just plain scary.
  • Options
    David Hall will actually lead the charge against a 100 point grading system and implement his own through PCGS. Remember, he threw out the thought of..."maybe we should have less"...

Jerry
  • Options
    Bill Gates invests in coins.
  • Options
    To answer Mike on his summation, I think it comes down to risk. To attract new collectors and to appease the experts, it comes down to minimizing grading/pricing risks. I see essentially three risks that if addressed would dramatically change the market:

- risk of buying an overgraded coin (TPG or otherwise)

- risk of undergrading from a TPG

- risk of overpaying today's market price

By reducing these risks, the prices on coins will more accurately reflect market demand for a given coin in a particular state of preservation with only eye appeal remaining as the driving factor for a price variance. When I can walk into any coin shop or show and look at a given coin in correct grade and find the same price no matter where I go, I will know that risk has been eliminated.

If this is possible, it would be the NBT.

Maybe the tooth fairy will leave me a shiny PL Morgan under my pillow tonight too. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

retrocollector, welcome to the forums. Nice first post image
  • Options
    TY PerryHall and MDG

Always nice to be welcomed.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    That spinner slab idea is pretty cool.

By posting it here, did you make the idea the property of PCGS? image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

<< <i>That spinner slab idea is pretty cool.

By posting it here, did you make the idea the property of PCGS? image >>

Is that the new Anacs slab image
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>The next REALLY BIG thing is the crash after all the baby boomers move into nursing homes. image >>

The crash of course being caused by so many collections being sold
    to finance the nursing home care that the market can't handle
    that many coins coming on the market. If we figure the baby
    boom started in 1945 or 1946 the crash is probably still a number of
    years away as most people don't go from retirement right into
    a nursing home.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The crash of course being caused by so many collections being sold
    to finance the nursing home care that the market can't handle
    that many coins coming on the market. If we figure the baby
    boom started in 1945 or 1946 the crash is probably still a number of
    years away as most people don't go from retirement right into
    a nursing home. >>

Historically there is a tendency for retirees to sell there collections at or
    soon after retirement. Todays retirees are healthier physically and finan-
    cially so this may be much less of a problem. The boomers are enterring
    their '60's so this will be a growing phenomenon but the rate of growth
    could be lower and the onset later than is normally assumed.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Extensive auctions on a TV channel, with buyers either calling in their bids, and/or via the internet.

A major auction house will do it as a trial, and then it will take off like wildfire.

I actually believe there are plans in the making for this to occur within a year.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Presidential Golden Dollars

I can't wait to get my hands on a Warren G. Harding.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Possibly the elimination of separate countries coins altogether. One monetary system for the whole world will be the eventual solution to monatary exchanges. It is starting in Europe and may become a whole world thing soon. So how do we convince the whole world in the next few hundred years to use a coin with Lincoln's picture on it?
    Would this increase or decrease our existing money's value? What if the government said to then turn over all coins to be melted down so the new ones would be the only ones? Would the Coke Company allow a possible change to all their vending machines?
    Carl
  • Options

<< <i>Possibly the elimination of separate countries coins altogether. One monetary system for the whole world will be the eventual solution to monatary exchanges. It is starting in Europe and may become a whole world thing soon. So how do we convince the whole world in the next few hundred years to use a coin with Lincoln's picture on it?
    Would this increase or decrease our existing money's value? What if the government said to then turn over all coins to be melted down so the new ones would be the only ones? Would the Coke Company allow a possible change to all their vending machines? >>

...The New World Order...

(Rev 13:16-18) And he causeth all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free and the bond, that there be given them a mark on their right hand, or upon their forehead; and that no man should be able to buy or to sell, save he that hath the mark, the name of the beast or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. He that hath understanding, let him count the number of the beast; for it is the number of a man: and his number is Six hundred and sixty and six.
  • Options
    BigE2BigE2 Posts: 1,037

<< <i>Revolutionary coin whizzing accepted by all the experts and it removes all those spots and toning and make coins better than the day they were minted!image

WS >>

Kinda like how they "restore" a car for Pebble Beach?
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    My prediction is this, since China buys much of our debt

Why not have the Chinese Mint produce our money?

Seems like a good way to reduce the federal budget.

Also, we could rent their soldiers and send them over to

Iraq and Afghanistan to fight and remove our troops.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>a scandal and bankruptcy of NGC and/or PCGS which will destroy market confidence in TPG's >>

Which would lead to the greatest and most horrific change in the hobby . . . people would have to educate themselves to authenticate and grade . . . oh, the humanity! No longer could we pay others for their opinions only to complain how we were "screwed" because they didn't agree with our grading dream. Gone would be the endless submissions to "prove" your coin was really one point higher and thus better than when you bought it. Image the stress and insecurity of actually have to hold a real coin in your hand and not one already entombed in plastic! What would we do! Okay, enough of the sardonic humor. image

Seriously, the 100-point grading system will likely be the newest attempt at a NBT . . .

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Logically, regrading all the coins once again to a 100 pt scale is a slam dunk to the TPG's. How else to keep those fees coming in.
    Of course they'll promise to get it 100% right this time around, be more consistent, same grade every time, no constant changes in holders and inserts, no outside influences, etc.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    The Lone Ranger
  • Options
    About once per decade I ask myself this question, and it has been about 10 years. Sorry, to dig up a thread from 2005 (oops, I'm dating myself here), but it was really funny to review some of the responses.

So without looking at what people said 9 years ago, what are your thoughts about the next big thing for our hobby that will be disruptive...

I believe a new grading service will emerge right under the noses of the existing grading services. This will happen when the predominant quantity of slabbed coins becomes modern (e.g. when more than 90%+ of all slabbed coins are moderns). A new grading service will emerge for only classic coins, in this it will differentiate from the current incumbents because by that time classic collectors will really be fed up with the vacillation in grading standards of current industry incumbents. This new company will disrupt traditional thinking with it's approach to quality and eye appeal. It will become the new gold standard for classic coin grading, bar none, and will not grade anything prior to 1933. It will also grade ancients and world coinage, but nothing after 1933 (it's motto). Clearly it will be a niche player, while modern coin grading and bullion authentication will become the mainstream fare for current industry leaders.

I know nothing and this is purely speculation, but my speculation is based on what has happened in other industries over time so it's not that far fetched to happen in coins...

As one saying goes, "niche will make you rich" with an obvious play on pronunciation image
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    More stickers on slabs.
    Early generation TPG slabs graded on condition.

or

Tommy Thompson will be found........somewhere

New York Post article
  • Options
    Thanks for freaking me out. I didn't realize it was an old thread and was shocked that Bear was somehow still posting. image

-KHayse
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Precious metals will be a thing of the past as man takes a bigger bite of the AAPL
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>About once per decade I ask myself this question, and it has been about 10 years. Sorry, to dig up a thread from 2005 (oops, I'm dating myself here), but it was really funny to review some of the responses.

So without looking at what people said 9 years ago, what are your thoughts about the next big thing for our hobby that will be disruptive...

>>

I think we're starting to see this demographic change I predicted 9 years ago and
    it's just about right on schedule (mebbe slightly early).

The next big change will be grading each parameter of preservation and condition at
    least with modern coins. It might never catch on with coins made before 1916 but it
    will come under increasing demand for moderns and especially cu/ ni.

The demographic change will be transformative for the hobby over the next ten years.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The NBT is a return to the grading designations of earlier times.Numbers will no longer be used for grades.An uncirculated coin will be called strictly uncirculated,select uncirculated,choice uncirculated,gem uncirculated,or superb gem uncirculated.Five grade possibilities exist,only five,not ten plus.The grading service principals will gather around the campfire,agree on the standards and sing Kumbaya together.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ANA has designed a crystal ball to tell us which coins to stand in line for in the future, but we need to join asap . image

I'm a life member so I can't take advantage of this NBT.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alibaba has arrived right.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file