Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade the 1822 quarter; vote in the poll!

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vf35
  • Options
    Wow, quite a spread among the grades, keep them coming..

• Options
    VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
    I voted VF-25--unless there's something going on in the field behind the cap, but it looks to me like the picture. Nice toning, and great overall look.

Is this the one you BIN'ed off eBay?

• Options
    EF40 although the reverse is sharper.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin Baley...you did it again! I'd say F15 on a bad day and VF20 on a good day. I'm jealous image
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went VF-25 off the top of my head....but after consulting my ANA guide, I'd probably go a bit higher.....30 or 35.
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    vf-20

K S
  • Options
    VF-20.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    vf30!
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK Baley....what do you grade the coin?
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice VF 20-25.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    F15 - VF20
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses.

TommyType mentioned the ANA grading guide, I'm working off a very old copy but I'll quote:

Fine 12: Obverse: Nearly half the details show in hair, drapery, and cap. All letters, and parts of ear and clasp are visible. Eyelid is flattened. Parts of star centers are worn flat. LIBERTY is complete. Reverse: half the feathers are visible in the wings. Letters in motto weak but clear. head is nearly smooth; eye and some feathers show.

Very Fine 20: Obverse: Over half the details still show in hair. Drapery and lower curls worn but bold. Ear, clasp, and curls are all plainly visible. Reverse: Head and leg are worn, but some feathers are visible. Most details in wings are clear unless weakly struck. Motto is complete. Half of the horizontal shield lines are separated.

Very Fine 30: Obverse: Hair above eye and around ear is worn almost smooth. Balance of hair is well detailed. Ear and shoulder clasp show clearly. Drapery and eye are well defined. Star centers are weak. Reverse: Feathers are worn but most details are visible. Some details in neck, shield, and talons are well worn. Eyelid is visible. shield lines are flat but separated.

I do not think the coin is lower than fine or higher than very fine, so we'll leave those for another thread..

This coin, I like as a VF 25, as does the board bell curve. It's detail and overall appearance are higher, in my opinion, than just a regular ole VF coin, and the reverse probably merits 30. There are a few scattered marks not uncommensurate with a mid grade coin, including a little patch of roughness behind the head, but these are more than compensated by the outstanding color and eye appeal of this piece.

Yes, this is the coin I BIN'd from JJTeaparty this past week; it was up for about 2 hours when I saw it. By the way, they had it advertised as a VF30 but priced as a 20? Bit of a tougher date in grades above VG, this is the first 1822 I've had, will probably be quite a while until I can get the only other variety of this coin, the 25/50 reverse, unless I can cherry one at some point...

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    30 is optimistic. I like it as a 20, but originality may help bring it to a 25

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Here's a picture of a PCGS graded VG10 yours looks a bit better so I'm guessing F15-VF20 tops
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I'm voting VF25. That's a really nice looking coin.
  • Options
    F15
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I voted VF-20, with a bias slightly higher toward 25.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice "look" to this piece. I should get me one of these. I don't know why but I just know I should.
    Looks like it's got some Nice "original" on it.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    By the way, who's the clown that voted VG10? image
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i guessed vf-20, but would not argue w/ vf-25. it's academic, since the quality & "look" of the coin are more important then the "grade".

K S
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    I voted VF 20.

You mentioned that it was listed as a VF 30, but priced out as a VF 20...

I also wouldn't argue the fact that it could go to a VF 25.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a thought-provoking GTG thread on bust material, I liked it.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted VF-30 so I'm with Teaparty on this one. I believed the coin met the ANA Grading Guide's standards for VF-30. Baley, nice coin with a real original look to it. image Only issue is that it will be tough to match this one when you get the 1822 25/50 variety. And it's getting more difficult, as the number of Bust Quarter collectors is growing.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    VF-20.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I voted 30; but think I was influenced by the look; which I like.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Baley, is your 1823 quarter the same grade? image
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I tossed the grade between F15 and VF20, voted F15.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    I just got to say.. an 108-vote bell curve is a beautiful thing... wonderful spread and symmetry... thank you to everone who voted. image

• Options
    more data, better statistics. ttt

• Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    12/20

both sides are different
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Excellent way to have a guess the grade!

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    Thanks, it takes a couple of minutes to add a poll, but once you get a large enough number of votes, the results can be really illustrative of the subjectivity in grading

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted Fine 15. It has nice eye appeal for a well circulated coin, and the reverse is better than Fine, but the obverse is the more important side. I would hope that the level of detail for a VF-20 has not slipped to the amount detail that is on the obverse of that piece.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how, but this is the first time I've seen this poll.

Cool quarter, but then what else could I say, it's right in my series sweet spot.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Looks better than an average VF, so I votes VF30.

Nice coin.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    No way this coin is a VF30, 20 is about right.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I voted VF20. I could see it as a 25. Especially the reverse.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>By the way, who's the clown that voted VG10? image >>

If EAC grading applied to silver, he would not be very off if at all. Some of those EAC guys are brutal.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what did it grade?

the GTGGS currently has it at a 20, but I put in at 25

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will go with 20.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2017 10:02AM

The poll results disappeared with "the change", but the results were a beautiful bell curve with an average of about 22 and a very symmetrical spread from 10 to 35. It illustrated very well the range of opinions possible with such a coin.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

25 in my book as well. Nice.

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2017 4:54PM

I don't see any poll but maybe that's because I'm using my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 to look at it right now. (OR because this thread started several years ago?) I would agree with 25.
    Nice looking coin, BTW!

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll say 25, with a great look to it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The poll is no longer visible... I would say 25 though.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file