Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I figgered it out! Getting rid of the haze! - UPDATED...works on Jeffs too!

Lincoln cent proofs have always been trouble for most people if they were hazy...nothing seemed to work to get the crap off the coin without ruining or changing the color of the coin. I was going through some old boxes and found a group of proof doubled dies I had left in PVC flips about five years ago. Well, in most cases they would be write offs...ruined. Well, I did a little experimenting with them, and came out with a perfect way to remove haze and PVC crap off oc copper WITHOUT changing the color of the coin. Any differences you see in the color of the coin in the comparison image are the camera and not the coin. The coin is just the right color now, and looks great!

Top photo is before, with PVC haze...bottom picture is after.

C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
The Lincoln cent store:
http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
http://www.cdaughtrey.com
USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.

Comments

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WIll the haze return?????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TBig
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    No. It has been successfully washed off the coin without leaving a residue. The coins turn out just like they came out of the set.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options
    Ok, I am dying, what is the method? I have no less than 4 experiments going on as we speak.
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
    Waiting for this info with great expectation!!! (Do you think this method will also work with silver proofs?
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    CD, don't leave us hanging man, finish what you started. What's the method?image
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    I hope the the noxious fumes didn't do you in...image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    Per member request, the answer was moved to another location within the PCGS forums.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options

<< <i>Per member request, the answer was moved to another location within the PCGS forums. >>

?????? Why ??????
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Is there a test tube Forum?... where has it been moved to ???image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options

<< <i>Per member request, the answer was moved to another location within the PCGS forums. >>

Is this a secret or what!!!!????image
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    ancient chinese secret.
  • Options
    I guess I would keep it a "secret' also if I went from haze/PVC damage to Artificial color and Altered surfaces ...

"Any differences you see in the color of the coin in the comparison image are the camera and not the coin. The coin is just the right color now, and looks great!"

Sure it is ... LOL ... Just another coin doctor hypster ... blame it on the camara ... LOL .. Haven't heard that one before ... LOL ...
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    come to think of it, it does have that ultra clean (maybe too clean) look much like
    those blast white (dipped to perfection) Morgan dollars we see all the time.
    anyway, the coin looks great in the after pic.
    if chemical dipped its gonna tone like crazy in no time i suspect
    unless slabbed soon.Still it could tone and or develope fingerprints.
    dipped coins can do that ya know.
  • Options

<< <i>Sure it is ... LOL ... Just another coin doctor hypster ... blame it on the camara ... LOL .. Haven't heard that one before ... LOL ... >>

Friend, I don't know where you're from, or where you've been, but you could not pay Chuck to doctor a coin. I'd suggest you know who you're talking about before you insert your foot into you're mouth the next time!
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dipping a coin is not "doctoring" a coin. If anyone in this forum knows how to deal with PVC CONTAMINATED copper-based coins I would bet that its C.D.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    It's Goo-Gone. Rinse and rub-in a liberal amount on the coin at the sink. You have to rub sort of hard, and I suggest getting your hands pretty wet first under hot water to wash any grit off of them and to soften your skin a bit because you'll be applying the Goo-Gone with your bare skin, and you don't want grit or grime getting onto the coin and hairlining it. Your skin, softened up well, is one of the best non-scratch cleaners you can buy....and you don't have to buy it. Since Goo-Gone is a mild acid, I neutralize with liquid dish soap in HOT water (it stings a bit but it's worth it), then gently pat dry with a soft paper towel.

The coins do look like they just came out of the set, and NO - it does NOT work on silver or nickels. Goo-Gone is really good at leaving copper its natural color, and is excellent at washing away grime, tape adhesive, gum, grease, etc.

So:

1. Get your hands clean and softened with warm-hot water.
    2. Rub plenty of Goo-Gone into the coin (at least a minute or so).
    3. Rinse in hot water.
    4. Wash with dish liquid to remove the acid - hot water works best.
    5. Gently pat dry with a paper towel.
    6. Let the coin sit in a dry room for half an hour before holdering it.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options
    CD,

AS ALWAYS....Thanks for the post. Very interesting & informative. Now Work on getting haze off silver "mirrors"image
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information. Let the experiments begin!

Tom
    Tom

• Options

<< <i>CD,

AS ALWAYS....Thanks for the post. Very interesting & informative. Now Work on getting haze off silver "mirrors"image >>

I tried it on a cheapo Kennedy proof that also had the same problem - it left a film on the coin that will have to be removed with old-fashioned dip. The secret to the old fashioned dip is to neutralize it the same way...dish soap.

I'm going to buy an impaired toned proof Lincoln at the show today and try it. If my thought is correct, it will leave the color on the coin and wash off the crap. Goo-Gone is excellent for brown coppers because it doesn't muck with the color. That's what gave me the idea with proofs.

By "liberal amount" I mean to squirt the goo-gone consistently on the coin while rubbing it with your fingers. Either that or put it in a ceramic or glass (NOT plastic) bowl and rub the coin inside the bowl of goo-gone. Wash it just like you would a used spoon with Ivory or Dawn liquid - any mild non-abrasive soap.

And my disclaimer....this was an experiment and it worked like a charm for me. This does not guarantee that it will work for you, but it damn well should. I'm not responsible for your coins, though. image
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options
    Thanks Chuck. As always great info.
  • Options
    White lie, I hadn't tried it on a nickel, I just assumed it wouldn't work because it doesn't work for silver...well, DUhh...nickels aren't silver (most of them) so I tried it...results were really nice:

C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options
    Will goo gone remove verdigris from old copper large cents??? I heard that it would, but haven't tried it yet. I have an 1800 large cent sitting in Olive oil, but after almost a month, there's been no change. I am prepared to leave in in the oil longer, but if there is a quicker method........I'd like to try it image
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kryptonitecomics,
    Goo Gone does wonders on Corvettes painted Red! image But...you gotta rub really, really hard! image It won't work on blue Corvettes, so I can't use it!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    According to the MSD sheet, Goo Gone is Citrus plus a petroleum solvent. As an organic solvent, it is inert to metals. Odd that it doesn't work on silver...

It is listed as not being an eye irritant nor an inhalation hazard. I guess that means the citrus is not citirc acid, though they don't specify. They list pH as "none." I presume that means 7 or neutral.
  • Options
    I found that after I rinsed the coin in plain water after using goo-gone, water still beads up on the coin like it has oil on it. Since I don't know the long-term effect of having that residue on the coin, I washed it off. After the detergent wash, the coin was stripped of any film and water reacted as it should on the coin.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • Options

<< <i>
    The coins do look like they just came out of the set, and NO - it does NOT work on silver or nickels. >>

I've used it to remove PVC from silver, without any rubbing. Just a short soak seems to work fine.
  • Options

<< <i>kryptonitecomics,
    Goo Gone does wonders on Corvettes painted Red! image But...you gotta rub really, really hard! image It won't work on blue Corvettes, so I can't use it! >>

Good to know....I've got some brillo pads I'll squirt it on and then I won't have to rub so hard image
  • Options
    did you use that on BU coins or circulated?
  • Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    As long as you all have gone out to buy Goo Gone. Pull out a cleaned silver coin. Put on a liberal amount of Goo Gone, place between 2 pieces of glass, bake one hour at 300 degrees.
  • Options
    I don't think you can say that it'll never come back until some time frame has passed.... Kind of like saying.... Sure take that fen fen pill...... it has no side effects.....

The haze may come back in a month? A year.... ? I don't know, educate me... convince me.....
  • Options

<< <i>According to the MSD sheet, Goo Gone is Citrus plus a petroleum solvent. As an organic solvent, it is inert to metals. Odd that it doesn't work on silver...

It is listed as not being an eye irritant nor an inhalation hazard. I guess that means the citrus is not citirc acid, though they don't specify. They list pH as "none." I presume that means 7 or neutral. >>

I have been trying to find an organic solvent that would work for some time. Mineral Spirits, although an Aliphatic organic solvent were too harsh on copper and many of the other Aliphatic solvents react with copper.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread - thanks Chuck- I have tubes of hazy proofs to experiment on--- later
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    I have a question then... everything looks great, but would the coin (if sent to a major grading service like PCGS) technically be consider cleaned and therefore probably be bodybagged?

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
    Pete
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Wonder what it would do on a large cent?
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    Conserved not cleaned.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Just for those wondering ....the coins I used the goo gone on are all just fine and I had posted this originally on march 16th. Just following up on with an update on the experiment.

everything just great here.

snapmohr
  • Options
    Has anyone had a Goo Gone conserved copper proof coin ceritified yet?
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    "Friend, I don't know where you're from, or where you've been, but you could not pay Chuck to doctor a coin. I'd suggest you know who you're talking about before you insert your foot into you're mouth the next time!" image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    What a coincidence. I found a bottle of Goo Gone under the kitchen sink, while I was visiting a friend in Colorado Springs 2 weeks ago. I tried about 20 various Lincolns and just stuck them in flips. The circulated examples were easy to see results on. I was curious about using it on MS and PR examples. Pulled the flips out after seeing this post and they still look good. I didn't have any 60's or 70's hazy proofs, just a junk 56 and a few 80's.

If you have any tips for removing the citrus smell from your hands, I'm very interested.

David
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Will the haze return?

No. It has been successfully washed off the coin without leaving a residue. The coins turn out just like they came out of the set. >>

Coppercoins,
    I'd hold off a few months (or years) before making this statement. However, I must admit you appear to be on to something big. The before/after images are truly remarkable.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    I tried this a few months ago... I use it to clean metal detector finds......If you leave the coin in a soak for around a week....it will impart a blue sheen to the coin....Here is an example...

• Options
    Chuck,

Goo Gone is great for copper, I think someone mentioned it in a past thread? As for silver and clad, I had picked up $300.00 worth of halve's a while back at the bank looking for 90 or 40%, I found about a roll and a half of 40%, mostly 65,66,67,68's, I considered them junk silver. I remembered someone, posted a thread here about using coffee pot cleaner on the clad. I had about half a bottle of the stuff, So i tried it on a few junker's and it did really well.... Well, the bottle disapeared or was used up and tossed.

Luckily i remembered the ingredient's in the stuff was something like Hydrosulfamic acid. I have not been able to locate that particular product again. However, I did find a product that contained "Sulfamic Acid".

It's called LIME-A-WAY, Tall lime green spray bottle, I tried it on the clad with great result's. I will post a before and after scan shortly. I don't use napkin's or paper towell's or tissue. I am fortunate enough to be able to get soft cotton surgical lap towell's from a friend that works in surgery. I am not able to get a large quantity of them, But if any of you know someone that works at a hospital? Have them to get you some.

Back to the Lime-a-way, Since it's a spray bottle you don't have to touch the surface. I lay the coin on the lap towell and spray it once, wait about a minute and rinse with dish detergent, Then flip to the reverse.
    Same procedure. Then either a Isopropyl or Acetone and let it dry. I've had some awful looking junk halve's come out looking like a freshly minted coin. It doe's not work well on Lincoln's.....

***WARNING*** And ***DISCLAIMER***
    This is just for experimentation only. I accept no responsibility for any damage's, either to your person or your coin. *Remember to read the label on the product*......... *Use rubber glove's and safety goggle's for eye protection.*

Now let me get you a Before and After pic.........
  • Options
    I love Goo Gone too for the stickum on holders from labels--image
    morgannut2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file