Home U.S. Coin Forum

*** 1892-S PCGS MS-65 Top (Pop 1/0) $20 Gold Coronet (Liberty) Double Eagle -- Photos Posted ***

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just received several gold coin grades from PCGS and am really excited to report that I have made a Top Pop (Population 1) 1892-S $20 Gold Liberty Coronet in PCGS MS-65!!! Per the PCGS Population Report only 38 exist in MS-64...

It's one of my old type coins purchased for $275 from Hugh Sconyers back in 1973 when he was with Worldwide Coins of Atlanta.

I don't think that I have any digital images of it yet, but I'll be sure to take some when I receive the coin back from PCGS.

I also made a 1932 $10 Indian in MS-63 and a 1901-S $10 Liberty in MS-64... That $20 Liberty is the most valuable coin in my collection!!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• Way to go Stuart. image

• AWESOME!

Cameron Kiefer

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Congratulations Stuart! image
  • RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Wow...congratulations...that's pretty insane. Wish I had bought some great coins back in '73.image
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭

Want to sell it? image
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Congrats. I look forward to your posting the pic upon its return home.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    image I can't wait to see pictures!!!
    Becky
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Way to go Stuart!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent results. You knew it was a goodie all along; now THEY agree with you.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Great to hear about your success especially since it's a coin that you've owned for a long time.

What do you think it's worth if you could even estimate a grade on a rare pop 1 like that????
  • I am not worthy !
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << What do you think it's worth if you could even estimate a grade on a rare pop 1 like that???? >>

KryptoniteComics: I honestly don't know what its value is, because I am still stunned to discover that I made a Pop 1 $20 Liberty -- but to me it's priceless!!!

The most recent Greysheet that I have for $20 Libs, dated September 2003, lists a price of $6800 for this coin in MS-64 with a population of ~38 coins. I would assume that this coin has got to be worth several to many multiples of the MS-64 price, and may be worth a whole lot more to those collectors assembling $20 Liberty Date Sets and Registry Sets.

Perhaps one of the dealers on the forum may wish to educate us as to the potential value of it, but for now it's not for sale.

I am pleased just to have an MS-65 $20 Gold Liberty Double Eagle because I think that they are a beautiful coin.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• What do you think you would pay Laura?

Cameron Kiefer
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice job.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    One of my favorite coin reverses.
    Way to goimage
  • I do suppose that Stuart deserves a YOU SUCK !
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what a terrific result... congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    That's worth another round for the house on a Friday night! image
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Stuart. You really have an eye for awesome coins. Way to goimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well a good starting point to your coin's value would be to compare it to what the HNAI 1888-s in MS66 just sold for. Both are roughly equivalent as to pops in MS64 and 65. Half of that would seem like a reasonable starting point.

roadrunner

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    AWESOME!image

Picture coming?
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done! image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• imageimageimageimageimageimage
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Stuart

here is your chance to make a nice profit and COMPLETE your Morgan dollar set if you wish. Get some quotes from dealers and do not be in a hurry to sell. With the proceeds buy yourself another $20 to replace it in a lower grade and dump the profits into other stuff for your sets.

sounds like fun.
  • man.....

I can see your point but I think I know Stuart well enough............

we shall see
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well a good starting point to your coin's value would be to compare it to what the HNAI 1888-s in MS66 just sold for. Both are roughly equivalent as to pops in MS64 and 65. Half of that would seem like a reasonable starting point.

I would say a bit less than half. Two reasons behind my comment:

The MS66 is more of a wondercoin and thus has extra glamour and therefore demand [price] attached to it.

The MS65 has 48 underpops. The MS65 may or may not last as pop 1. The MS66 has one underpop - its position on top seems relatively safe.
  • Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Congratulations Stuart.. Just curious did you already believe the coin would receive the 65 grade or was it unexpected?

Randy
  • Congratulations, Stuart. A good score for a good guy.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Good show!! And btw:

Welcome to the 'You Suck' club!! j/k
  • That's a SUPER YOU SUCK

Big Time image

Scott

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mixed up the 1880-s NGC66 from the ANA sale. That brought $92,000. There are so many neat S mints in the 1880's it can get confusing. The 1880-s is super tough in MS64 so half of the MS66 price would certainly place a top on the 1892-s in MS65 of $46,000.
    Though like TDN said, probably a good bit less than this due to the wow factor of 66's. Maybe $40K as the top end.

Low end may be just above what the MS64 1880-s is listed on CDN for $23,000. I think the real truth is in the $30-40K range. Once it becomes a pop 2 (and with 75 pieces betw NGC and PCGS to compete for it), and that's only a matter of time, it loses a touch of its allure. But just a tad. I punched the numbers to ratio the 64 price of the 92-s to a common date, and then used that same ratio to a 65 common date....comes up with around $23,500. That would likely be about the low-end price for a lower-end coin. Half-way between the $23K and $40/46K brackets is about $31K-$35K. To the dealers that play in the $20 Lib market, they could price this coin to within $2K.

Congrats on making such a wise purchase back in 1973. I know my local dealer would have gouged me on a lower mintage date like a 92-s. If this is a just made it coin, you may want to consider getting some strong offers while fires are hot, and it remains pop 1. But enjoying such a nice and rare coin is not bad either.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭
    Congrats image

• << <i>If this is a just made it coin, you may want to consider getting some strong offers while fires are hot, and it remains pop 1 >>

I could not agree more.
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Stuart ... what a great event!!

I hope you'll share pictures with us when she returns. I too would like to know if you saw her as a 65 (or better, or worse). Only you know at this point, but maybe the coin is a hands down finest known, with no known equal. Her grade certainly suggest she might be.

I know I'll probably never get a shot like that (because of what I have collected and when I started), but I always love sending in some of my older raw coins just to see what the graders think all these years later. I've been pretty pleased with the coins I've made that way.

Anyway ... image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
    << did you already believe the coin would receive the 65 grade or was it unexpected? >>

Crazy4Coins: In answer to your above question, I knew that the coin had a shot at being MS-65, and was expecting that it would most likely grade MS-64 -- which would have also been a great score...

It's got that MS-65 Gem look to it with nice frost and aged Gold Coppery patina. I don't have an image of it yet, but will take some high quality photos of it when I receive it back from PCGS.

Stuart

• YOU SUCK!!!!!
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    That must have been an awesome feeeling when you realized what you had! Got any more gold sitting around to certifyimage. mike
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phenomenal, Stuart. You have been blessed--at a time when the PCGS gods have been loath to bless. Must be a dynamite specimen. image
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Stuart. Could not have happenned to a nicer guy.
    Thanks everyone for your kind words and good wishes on my good fortune with my (Pop 1) 1892-S PCGS MS-65 $20 Gold Liberty Coronet!! image

I appreciate your posts very much!!

Stuart

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew that the coin had a shot at being MS-65, and was expecting that it would most likely grade MS-64

Stuart - If you thought it most likely to grade 64, you should probably be a seller. I don't see how it can be worth it TO YOU to keep the coin if you don't think it's a solid 65.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Stuart, Congratulations, that is really great, I am very happy for you. You do have a good eyeimage
    Michael
  • BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Holy smokes, am I jealous. Congrats, that is what collecting is all about.

Now just think about Pop reports. There must be other coins out there, in old collections, waiting to be found!
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That has got to feel good. Congratulations. Hope to see some pics shortly though.

Tyler
    Andy: Thanks for your post and for your observations...

1) I may decide to sell the coin in the future, because the monetized market value from it would allow me to purchase other coins that are more core to my personal collecting preferences, since I am basically an 18th & 19th Century Type Coin, Silver Dollar, and $20 Gold collector (mostly nice type coins and PL $20 Libs). However, since I am not trying to assemble a date set of $20 Libs it is true that this specific coin has more value to someone else than to me.

2) It is tempting for me to monetize this for a really choice PCGS AU-58 (Prooflike) Draped Bust Dollar, a 1799 $10 Turban Eagle (Prooflike), and perhaps also a high grade AU Flowing Hair Dollar -- three classic type coins that I really do want to own at some point in my collecting experience.

3) When I say that I thought that the coin most likely to grade MS-64, it's because I recenty also submitted the following 2 $20 Libs (pictured below) (1906-D and 1907-S) which I thought were legitimate MS-64's which only were graded MS-63. It was not that I did not think the coin was worthy of being an MS-65, but who would ever presume to realistically think that their coin would likely grade as a #1 top population coin??

I knew that it had a shot, and I knew that it was a gorgeous coin, which is why I paid a hefty $75-$100 premium for it back in 1973 when I spent $275 on it -- a whole lot of money back then for a coin worth ~$35 in gold melt.

It is a very exciting and fun occurrence, as a result of which I am still somewhat shocked... It's fun to think about what other coins I could fund with this one coin.

1907-S PCGS MS-63 $20 Liberty (PL)

imageimage

1906-D $20 Liberty - PCGS MS-63

imageimage

Stuart

• << <i>However, since I am not trying to assemble a date set of $20 Libs it is true that this specific coin has more value to someone else than to me. >>

looks like my prediction might be correct.
    Jason: You read me like a book image But, I also respect your (and others') sound opinions on maximizing value for this fortunate strike.

However you'll notice that the 3 "Dream Coins" that I mentioned, PCGS AU-58 (Prooflike) Draped Bust Dollar, a 1799 $10 Turban Eagle (Prooflike), and perhaps also a high grade AU Flowing Hair Dollar, are not Morgan Dollars...

Stuart

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file