Home U.S. Coin Forum

POLL: Ten VF or one MS/SP66 1794 dollar?

Just for fun, if you can, which would you rather have?
I 'll pick 10, cost only about a million $image at the current market. The SP66 Contursi coin has a price tag of about 10 million bucks, if I understand it correctly? So that will leave me spare change to buy a 1804 $ and a 1913 Lib nickel.image
What 's your reason?

Comments

• BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    None of the above. I'd choose one VF.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm confused. image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• 10 circs anyday, everyday, all day long... wouldn't even need to be VF. I would take a range from VG-XF. image And actually, there are other denoms I would prefer image
    -George
    42/92
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Until this current market runs its course, I'd stay with the MS66 (but just not the Contursi piece). If the 2nd or 3rd finest knowns per Cardinal's research became available, they'd be a fraction of $10 Mill and much better deals. Here's a case where 2nd best is BEST. Contursi is just building a case to at some point unload for 2 or 3x what he paid. So he starts by asking $10 MILL.

When this market starts to peak I'd want to be out of that MS66 and into the 10 VF's....or better yet.......16,000 XF barber halves
    if you could dream. The 10 VF's are much safer than the MS66 at that point, but they will lose value as well imo.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's make it equal value to make the choice real: Ten VF's vs one MS65.

I'll take the one MS65, thank you very much!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One MS-65 as well.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I'll take the one gem over a bunch of circs any day. Why would I want a worn down coin when I can have a primo piece?

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One gem, dont need but one example and I d want it to be one of the nicest!
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    definitely take the 10. now if you'd used, say 1803 dollars, i'd take the 66.

K S
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I would take the one with the silver plug!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i went with the 10 vfs. either way for me in this case. jmo
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    SP would be 1st preference
    MS 2nd

i'd pass on the lower circ's if i had the money to buy one of those above....image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is 10 years old. It looks like it finally made it to 10mm!

Great to see RR still be right 10 years later as well
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another 10 year old thread resuscitated ... thanks MGL......must be a slow day. I have doubts that the original author is still a member.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

<< <i>Another 10 year old thread resuscitated ... thanks MGL......must be a slow day. I have doubts that the original author is still a member. >>

OPA....were you by chance a fan of Javert in Les Miserables ???

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'd take the sp66 and not because of perceived value. i have always looked to proofs/sp/patterns because of the care that was usually taken with the strike(s). the details on many proofs often give me

indication what the BS counterpart should be able to look like as a well-struck example. tons of exceptions and nuance but my desire still remains. also, the sp66 appears to be a unique specimen, so there

is that. i have a fondness for total pop 1 tpg coins. i've "made" a small handful of these and most remain to-date after several years. a feat that amazes me given how little time i've devoted to the cause;

although, i think all my total pop 1 submissions were on coins i had no idea that were until i researched them. apparently i'm better at letting the universe guide me somewhat randomly?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.
    i'd take the sp66 and not because of perceived value. i have always looked to proofs/sp/patterns because of the care that was usually taken with the strike(s). the details on many proofs often give me

indication what the BS counterpart should be able to look like as a well-struck example. tons of exceptions and nuance but my desire still remains. also, the sp66 appears to be a unique specimen, so there

is that. i have a fondness for total pop 1 tpg coins. i've "made" a small handful of these and most remain to-date after several years. a feat that amazes me given how little time i've devoted to the cause;

although, i think all my total pop 1 submissions were on coins i had no idea that were until i researched them. apparently i'm better at letting the universe guide me somewhat randomly?
    . >>

^^^ this^^^ i could care less about price points...SP's...especially pre 1800....they're just breath taking
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like the majority of all those polled so far, I (surprisingly) picked just the one, resisting the temptation to be greedy and grab all eleven. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not collect specimen coins. I only collect coins meant for circulation, so I chose the 10 VF.

Bob

<< <i>Like the majority of all those polled so far, I (surprisingly) picked just the one, resisting the temptation to be greedy and grab all eleven. image >>

I chose the eleven. One would need some loot from the liquidation to cover insurance, storage and a new Maserati!
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Like the majority of all those polled so far, I (surprisingly) picked just the one, resisting the temptation to be greedy and grab all eleven. image >>

I chose the eleven. One would need some loot from the liquidation to cover insurance, storage and a new Maserati! >>

Necroposter.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

<< <i>

<< <i>

I chose the eleven. One would need some loot from the liquidation to cover insurance, storage and a new Maserati! >>

Necroposter. >>

necroposter

A person posting in a really old topic. Such as a topic that is a year old. They look for old post and try to start them up again. Most necroposting is caused by the primitive race known as the n00b
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd choose the 10 coins, because I'd be selling 9 of them, keeping my favorite for the collection, and using the proceeds to buy other coins as well as real estate, stocks,
    maybe a small business somewhere nice.

edit: I miss ER, wonder what became of him?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

<< <i>edit: I miss ER, wonder what became of him? >>

Quality poster and gentleman with a sense of humor.

He gave away his numismatic books to forum members several years ago and to my knowledge, has not been heard from since.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One is all I would need for the box of 20.....

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take the 10 circs. Then I can trade one for a holed one and maybe another for a couple of holed 1796 and 1797 halves. Maybe another for 10 1804 dimes so I can claim a legit 1804 dollar. Maybe another for some 18th century holed gold. We can dream, right?
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Necroposter. >>

necroposter

Most necroposting is caused by the primitive race known as the n00b >>

or an Analyst

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely the one.....Cheers, RickO
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather have TDN back here posting, along with the OP and a thousand others.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rather have TDN back here posting, along with the OP and a thousand others. >>

Was TDN banned?
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Rather have TDN back here posting, along with the OP and a thousand others. >>

Was TDN banned? >>

I don't think so. I think he got a bit tired of the stupidity of some posters and how some others have vendettas and just want to attack certain people/coins/companies.
    That is what has pushed quite a few of the good members away, either temporarily or permanently....the OP was, if I recall some of what he told me when he was leaving, along those lines as well. Add to that burnout when seeing certain things done to/with coins, or other things in the industry and getting disgusted with it, and it can get one to just up and leave.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Was TDN banned? >>

I don't think so. I think he got a bit tired of the stupidity of some posters and how some others have vendettas and just want to attack certain people/coins/companies.
    That is what has pushed quite a few of the good members away, either temporarily or permanently....the OP was, if I recall some of what he told me when he was leaving, along those lines as well. Add to that burnout when seeing certain things done to/with coins, or other things in the industry and getting disgusted with it, and it can get one to just up and leave. >>

Okay, thanks. I certainly can understand. It's been less pleasant here over the past few months than it was before.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The forum has it's occasional drama (and drama queens) but for the most part, things are pretty good around here again, aren't they?

Picked this up, just for fun

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take one in VF.

I don't need ten of the same thing as a collector. As for the one in SP-66, I think that the auction result left it over priced. There are other coins in the U.S. series that mean more to me as a collector.

Of course if all you want is money, and collector considerations are set aside, then I suppose I'd take the SP-69 if I could get the $10 million out of it, and buy something else. I don't think that 1794 dollars in VF are going for $1 million apiece.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file