Home U.S. Coin Forum

As promised, the PCGS generations with pictures. VERY LONG! updated 10/27/06

Updated on June 10th 2004 to add PCGS 2.5, 3.5, 15, 16, & 17.
Updated on Oct 27 2006. New picture of the 1X label, updated some descriptions, added varieties 18, 19, and 20.

It has been about a week or so since I posted the NGC generations and it was requested that I do the same for the PCGS slabs as well. I finally go all the pictures rounded up and uploaded so here goes.

imageimage

PCGS 1 The first generation holder, commonly known as a "Rattler". Thse were used from the Feb of 1986 when PCGS opened through Sept 1989 when chanes were made as a result of the counterfeit slabs that had appeared earlier.

This is back label of a genuine PCGS 1.

imageimage

PCGS 1X This is the back label of a counterfeit slab. The most commonly mentioned identifying feature of the fake slab unfortunately often does not show well, either on these pictures or on the actual slabs. On the genuine slab, the serifs of the letters end sloping up at a 45 degree angle. On the fake the serifs are vertical. A better diagnostic and one which can be seen almost at arms length is the position of the I in Service below the D in Grading. On the genuine slab the I is almost centered between the D and I. On the counterfeit it is a little right of center of the D. A final diagonstic is that on the genuine slab all four lines of text start lined up along their left edge. On the fake the second and third lines start noticable a little to the right.

imageimage

PCGS 2 This was the first attempt by PCGS to increase the security of their slabs. This is a two piece slab. The center part is the same small "rattler" shell seen on PCGS 1 (note the four alignment pins in the corners around the coin). The second part is a plastic border thatwraps around the edge of the slab and forms the raised lip that now lets the slabs stack and interlock. Other security measures taken were the addition of a barcode to the front label and a hologram to the back label. This was also the last variety that did not have the companies initials on the front label. The front label is off white with a green tinge to it. This faint green is formed by thousands of tiny green dots that are only visible under magnification. This variety was used in Oct and Nov of 1989.

imageimage

PCGS 2.5 This slab was discovered after the initial posting of this thread ad posted here by mgoodm3. It is he same as PCGS 2 in all ways except for the adition of the companies initials at the top center of the front label. Since then I have seen a few other specimens but it seems to be much scarcer than PCGS 2. My guess is that it was probably produced during the last week or so of Nov 1989.

imageimage

PCGS 3 The slab shell is the same as that seen on the previous variety. On the front label the initials PCGS have been added at the top center, and the upper three fourths of the label is covered with a "doilie" pattern. There areas in the pattern where part of the image has been left out and these altered areas also form the PCGS initials. This variety was used in Dec of 89 only.

imageimage

PCGS 3.5 Another variety discovered and posted here after the initial listing of the thread. Discovered by Spinynorman this is a transitional variety between #'s 3 and 4. It has the same slab within a frame construction as 2, 2.5, and 3. But it has the same non-colorfast die cut (smooth edged) green label with the large serial numbers that start to the left of the barcode. This variety was suspected even before it was discovered because Cameron Kiefer had discovered and listed a sample slab version of this holder several months before the production slab version was found. A few more examples have turned up but this variety seems to be very scarce. As a transitional variety it was probably only produced during the last week of Dec 1989.

imageimage

PCGS 4 This is the first of the "Green Label" slabs. (While the previous labels may have had a green tint to them, this slab was the first where the label was a definite pale green label!) Unfortunately the green color in the label was not stable and the labels of this variety had a tendency to change color over time. Sometimes the blue pigment breaks down and the label becomes more and more yellow sometimes reaching amost a Canary yellow. Other times the yelow breaks down and the label becomes more blue. I have seen a couple of these where the label is a brighter blue than is seen on the current slabs. One identifying feature of this variety is the large font used in the serial numbers. The serial number begins at or slightly to the left of the left edge of the barcode below it. The shell is now a one part slab with the stacking edge an intergral part of the shell. This holder was used from Jan of 1990 through some time in 1995.

imageimage

PCGS 5 The second "Green Label" slab. At first glance almost the same as the previous variety but the font has been changed. The most noticable difference is the smaller size of the digits in the serial number and the number now begins well to the right of the left edge of the barcode. On the back the line "Copying prohibited" appears below the PCGS logo. (This is the only variety that that line is found on.) PCGS had finally corrected the color stability labels and all or almost all of the slabs from this variety have the regular green label. These were used from sometime in 1995 through Oct of 1998.

imageimage

PCGS 6 In Nov of 98 PCGS dropped the green label in favor of the current light blue. This first light blue variety usually stikes people as being odd but they have problems putting their finger on exactly why. On this variety the date is found in the upper left hand corner and the denomination/type is in the upper right corner. In the center of the second line is PCGS and the grade. The serial number is at the center of the bottom label, and the barcode has been banished to the back label. The PCGS coin and seris numbers do not appear on this variety!! This variety was only used for circulation type coins (including proofs). For Bullion coins, and Commemoratives see PCGS 7. This variety was only used in Nov and Dec of 1998.

PCGS 6.1 This is a subvariety of PCGS 6. Coins that come in more than one variety, such as the Bicentennial dollar shown here, that were holdered during Nov of 1998 had the difference spelled out as T1 or T2 etc.

PCGS 6.2 The following month of December they changed the label from T1, T2 etc to Type 1 or Type 2 etc. (This was the form that PCGS then continued to use.) Each of these subvarieties were only used for the one month and were only used on a tiny fraction of the number of coins submitted during those months. (These are the only PCGS varieties I don't have yet.)

imageimage

PCGS 7 This variety also began in Nov of 1998 but was only used for Bullion coins and Commemorative coins. On this one the Coin type is in the upper left corner and the denomination is in the upper right. The PCGS and grade are still in the center of the second line but now the date is in the center of the third line. The serial number is at the bottom and the barcode is still on the back label. These also do not have coin or series numbers. This variety continued through Feb of 2002 but in mid 2001 PCGS began adding Coin and Series numbers to the older Classic Commemoratives and they switched over to the next variety.

imageimage

PCGS 8 These are the same style as PCGS 6 but now the Coin and Series numbers have been added. Again this type was only used for circulation type coins (and proofs) until mid 2001 when Classic Commems also started appearing in this slab. The PCGS 8 slab continued in production until Feb 2002.

PCGS 8.1 (Not pictured) This is a minor transitional variety. there was a slight change in the hologram on the back label between #'s 6 and 8. On PCGS 6 the sides of the hologram are flat and straight while on PCGS 8 they are slightly bowed. This makes the hologram on #6 slightly smaller and gives the corners a sharper more squared off appearance. This is difficult to discern unless you have examples of both hologram types for comparison.

imageimage

PCGS 9 This slab really belongs between #'s 4 and 5 but this is where you're going to get it. This was the Regency Slab, a special premium slab that was intended to allow the collector to recognize "special" coins. Either to showcase very rare pieces, special pedigree coins or even special events. The Regency slab is a large slab, five inches high and three across at the widest point. They cost $50 ($30 slabbing fee plus $20 for the special holder and personalized inscription) and you were allowed to specify a two line inscription to appear on the front label. (Maximm 44 characters.) According to Rick Montgomery these were produced from 1992 to 1995 but so far I've only been able to trace them from Mid 1994 to the first quarter of 1995.

PCGS 10 and 11 have been delisted. they are now listed in the Novelty slab section.

imageimage

PCGS 12 This is the current production slab that PCGS is using for the Bullion and Modern Commemorative coins. It is the same as PCGS 7 except that the barcode has been moved from the back label to the bottom of the front label. Used from Feb 2002 to Nov 2004.

imageimage

PCGS 13 The slab used for circulation type coins and Classic commemoratives. This is the same as PCGS 8 with the Coin and Series numbers, but the barcode has now been moved to the front label. This was used from Feb 2002 to Nov 2004

imageimage

PCGS 14 PCGS's answer to the NGC multi-coin holders Introduced around 11/24/03, so far I've only seen gold proof sets. In 2004 they also briefly produced some five coin holders for state quarters. I don't think they have made any since 2004.

PCGS 15 In early 2004 PCGSA was outbid for the endorsement of PNG as their official grading service. Therefore they had to remove the PNG logo from the hologram on the back. They replaced the PNG logo with an image of a St Gaudins double eagle and their stock exchange symbol. These first appeared around November of 2004 and lasted until mid 2005.

PCGS 16 Just a picture of the reverse so far showing the new holgram. The front label for this is the same as PCGS 12. Used for Bullion and modern commems Nov 2004 to mid 2005.

PCGS 17 No pictures, not seen yet. Reserved for the multi-coin holder with the new hologram. Probably does not exist.

PCGS 18 No Picture yet. Slab used for circulation type coins, classic commems, and beginning in late 2005 Modern commems. In mid 2005 the size of the hologram was greatly reduced. In Oct of 2005 they began using this style for modern commems assigning them coin and series numbers for the first time. The front label is the same as PCGS 13. This style was used from Mid 2005 to Nov 2005.

PCGS 19 Bullion coin type front label, same as PCGS 12. The new small hologram introduced in Mid 2005 this is still the current style.

PCGS 20 In Nov of 2005 the coin and series numbers were removed from the front label of the non- bullion issue slabs.

Well there you have it. If you have questions you know where to find me.

Comments

• Nice information Conder - thanks!
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Great info image
  • imageAnother fine update! Now when does the book come out in color?!
    Is their a site for information when the companies started giving different designations? ie: Cam, DCam, FBL, FB, FH, etc. Same with NGC on the star, most importantly the starting serial numbers!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Conder. Any chance you can put this on a web page, for future reference? Also, can you point me to the NGC listing? I missed it.
    Thanks.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I was sitting there looking at the neat slab varieties and decided to see what I've got. I have 2 green labels. One's a 5 and the other I couldn't match. It looks like #2 but it has PCGS on top. It's not #3. It's not #4 because it is the multipiece package. Is it a new variety or one not listed?

imageimage
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the work that went into your post.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Thanks, these are the type of posts that make these boards valuable to collectors, dealers, and PCGS as well.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Informative,

Thanks Conder, I really enjoyed this thread!
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like my California in the #3 image

Cheers,

Bob
  • Very interesting Conder - thanks for that.
  • Barry,

Link to the NGC Generations NGC Generations No Webpage at least for awhile. I've spent over four years putting together all the information about all of the slabs, you can't blame me for attempting to sell books for awhile rather than putting it all on a website and giving it away for free. Also i don't have the knowledge to do a web page. Maybe someday I'll contract to Jeremy to create one for me but it is going to take a fair amount of space. especially since if I do I will wan't to reshoot the pictures and not apply the compression to them that I have these. Most of these pictures are roughly 1Meg compressed to under 50K so I could upload them here.

mgoodm3,

Congratulations! I think I hate you. image Yes, that is a new variety. It appears to be some kind of strange transition piece between #2 and #3. They appeared to have used the exact same font on both varieties so there are no clues there. But yours is the first #2 reported with the PCGS at the top of the front label. However it has the serial number starting even with the left edge of the bar code. All of the #3's I've seen have the barcode shifted to the right with the serial number starting well left of the barcode. Take a look at the backgrund of the label and let me know id it is made up of thousands of tiny green dots. These dots are not visible to the naked eye (at least not mine). I have to use at least a 5X magnifier to see them clearly. If the dots are there then the only difference between #2 and your is the PCGS on the label and that would indicate that it was probably made in late November of 1989. Potentially this could be a very scarce variety. (If it becomes available let me know.)
    Here is a loupe close-up of the label. I collect the coins and not the slabs. I just bought it as a decent common date Morgan. If you have a comparable trade I would be happy to contribute it to the cause of history. If you want better scans of the slab I could EMail them to you.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great learning thread.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Conder. Great lesson!
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    a great thread thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

michael
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic thread!!! Thanks Conder!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • ms71ms71 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific thread, the kind that makes it a real pleasure to visit the forum.
    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Great info thanks.
    Peteimage
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Conder101: Thanks very much for posting this thread and also the previous NGC version of the thread.

You are most kind to share this info gratis with forum members!

Hopefully it will be good PR for your book.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Conder101, You are one smooth Dude. Keep up the good work!! image
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Since a number of these early slabs are valuable, how do we go

about having these slabs , slabbed?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Thanks Conderfor the lesson , it was very interresting
    Michael
  • Hi Conder101,

I thought I had found you a new variety, but then I went and read the rest of the thread...
    It looks like I have the same one as mgoodm3.

imageimageimage
  • Wonderful information Conder. Thank you.

Speaking of Regency slabs, I saw a sample Regency slab at the Long Beach show.

GSAGUY
    Spiny. i was comparing your slab to mine and your slab is subtly different from mine. you have the multipart casing but the lettering and barcode don't line up as they do on mine. Mine appears to be a transition between 2 and 3 yours appears to be ?maybe between 3 and 4? It seems the more we look the more we find. There may be some other diagnostics that conder would have.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks very much, Conder. Great information!
  • Conder101 and gsa guy. Several people reported this Regency sample slab. I went on Saturday and it was gone (supossedly packed away). I will be contacting the dealer and will try to get a scan for eveyone and for my website. I'll let everyone know when I get more info.

Cameron Kiefer
  • I'm kind of surprised. As well known as it should be on the forum here that there is considerable interest among several of the members in sample slabs and a rRegency sample slab was seen and no one it?
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Conder101:

I think I just picked up yet ANOTHER unknown PCGS slab. It is a PCGS2 but it does not have the MORGAN wording on the front!! It has the millions of microscopic white and green dots and the two piece slab with outer plastic construction around the inner old rattler with the four plastic "bolts."

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Orville, Sorry but that is just a regular PCGS 2 slab. The reason the one in my picture says Mogan on it is because it was a 1921 P dollar and the word Morgan was added to seperate it from the 1921 P Peace dollar that exists for that year. Other years do not say Morgan except the 1878 P, CC, and S which will either say Morgan or Trade.
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I have been waiting for the thread for a couple of weeks!

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    conder101: Nothing to be sorry about!!

I now see what you are saying and naturally I had forgotten that earmarking of the 1921 Morgan versus Peace.

I did pick this slab at a fair price and it is a solid MS-64.

Thanks for the correction!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • you're not going to make any money giving it away for free.

• << <i>Here is a loupe close-up of the label. I collect the coins and not the slabs. I just bought it as a decent common date Morgan. If you have a comparable trade I would be happy to contribute it to the cause of history. If you want better scans of the slab I could EMail them to you. >>

Atrade for a #9 in comparable condition sounds good. image
    Glenn

Live Long and Prospect.

• << <i>Spiny. i was comparing your slab to mine and your slab is subtly different from mine. you have the multipart casing but the lettering and barcode don't line up as they do on mine. Mine appears to be a transition between 2 and 3 yours appears to be ?maybe between 3 and 4? It seems the more we look the more we find. There may be some other diagnostics that conder would have. >>

mgoodm, You're right. I just looked at the label and it is a solid color. Looks like it is something between 3 and 4.
    imageimageimage
  • Spiny, are the edges of the label on yours perferated or is it a smooth die cut label? On Camerons Sampleslabs.com website he has a slab cataloged as PCGS 4 which is a sample of a transitional slab between my #'s 3 and 4. A sample of a production slab variety that had never been seen before. I found what I thought were the first two examples of that transitional production variety on Oct 3 of this year. If you slab has smooth edges to the labels and the color does not resolve into thousands of dots under 5 to 10 power magnification then YOUR slab is the discovery piece, not mine and it will bring us up to three specimens seen. This new variety was discussed on another thread about a week ago.
  • Conder, yes it has smooth edges and solid color (not dots). I missed the other thread, but I'm glad that you've found more and it's not just an anomoly. Good luck with your research!
    imageimageimage
  • partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Condor is this a counterfeit holder? Please any advise from anyone would be appreciated.imagepcgsholder
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
    Looks like the fake one to me based on the diagnostics at the beginning of the thread.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always loved that "PCGS 3" version. I have a single example in my collection (a common date MS63 Morgan with wild toning) .

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    From what I see I would say yes it is. Do you own that slab? Please contact me directly either by e-mail (see profile) or by PM.
  • A counterfeit PCGS slab like that would be pretty scarce. Alot of guys would step up and pay strong money for it. I suggest an auction like ebay!

Cameron Kiefer
  • If a person suspected a counterfeit "rattler" slab, could they send it to PCGS to have them look at it and see if it's genuine?
  • Yes, but that would be stupid if you could sell it for more than the coin is worth in the counterfeit slab. I mean and as the collectible slab not a 65 grade on a 64 coin.

Cameron Kiefer
  • wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing this info with us. imageimage
  • nederveitnederveit Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for 'resurrecting' this topic and post, I had never seen it. Very educational! Thanks for your work on this Condor.
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    ttt
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Very informative!

I didn't know there were fake slabs. As a result I looked at my first generation slabs and they're all genuine.

imageimageimageimageimage
    Dan
  • Thank you for sharing your knowledge conder, great thread!
    "boy this is FUN"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file