Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

interesting article from accross the street

Comments

• Options
    I agree. NGC is my service of choice. I do consider them number one ,with PCGS a close second.
    PCGS and NGC are the only two services I now use.
  • Options
    There is a reason NGC was chosen by the ANA for its members. I think PCGS' recent actions on this board toward its customers confirms the wisdom of the ANA's decision.
    Go well.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    That post is 6 months old. What brings it up all of a sudden?
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I too am now an NGC member and consider them to be number one for many of the reasons already mentioned.

But, to be clear, the ANA chose NGC because NGC laid out the cash, and for no other reason. NGC is the ANA's official grading service because they paid for that privilage.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But, to be clear, the ANA chose NGC because NGC laid out the cash, and for no other reason. NGC is the ANA's official grading service because they paid for that privilage.

True. It's a tough biz, and there is no Santa in this biz.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    True. It's a tough biz, and there is no Santa in this biz.

Unless you're a top well heeled collector, then everyday at submission-Land is Christmas....image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people, I require the same from them."
  • Options
    Good article. I have not bought heavily in about two years, and I havent gone to any shows as well in that time. When I was heavy into the hobby..I felt that NGC was too loose on the grades, and the coins were very hard to sell. PCGS at that time was pretty damned good. I'm talking Franklin halves here, and I have to say that is my best coin as far as grading, eye appeal, and market psychology. .When the blue label PCGS coins started showing up, I thought the standards had loosened. Some say it isnt so, and I of course, only saw it from my small perspective. So I can't really say. I've heard that NGC tightened up, and did see with my own eyes, before I got too busy to play with coins, that NGC coins were looking better. All in all, I still buy the coin, and not the holder. Who do I want grading my coins..I havent made up my mind who will get the next submission.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    The Pcgs qtr genarally much nicer and much more costly.

In your opinion, is the price diff commensurate with the quality diff?

EVP

• Options
    Not sure about the rest of the folks, BUT, over the past 3 years or so, I generally cannot give NGC coins away as compared to their PCGS counterparts. The base of coins I am talking about, are Morgans, Franklins, Ikes, silver Washingtons and general Type coins (onsies/twosies). My guess is that the average is about 20% (range being 15% to 25% premium for PCGS or discount for NGC, depending on your point of view).

Maybe we can hear from the rest of the folks, as we add to this thread.
    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I think he made an interesting point about conservative grading on the NGC post. I think he said that they feel their grading is accurate and that PCGS is too conservative. Basically undergrading. That would certainly explain the price diff. I guess the question is who's grading is right and by what standard. That's a tougher question.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    As fantasiize has already pointed out, I would like to add to that comment a bit.

I have nothing at all against NGC and I will and do buy NGC coins, however, PCGS graded coins still consistently bring more money grade for grade, are easier to sell, and are more desired by collectors than any other grading service.

I would challenge anyone to mention a specific series or individual coin(s) or specific grades where NGC graded pieces consistently sell for more money than PCGS graded ones. I would also point out that customer service, politics, friendliness, turnaround times, helpfulness, perceived conflicts of interest, and whatever else ALL take a back seat to PRICE REALIZED when you sell your coins, and up to now, PCGS has been the undisputed leader in prices realized across the board.

dragon
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    That wouldn't be a fair comparison. If PCGS undergrades a point in the MS grades (or is "conservative"), then the question should be whether an NGC 68 will fetch as much as a PCGS 67, and in most cases I'd say yes. Perhaps even a little more, without the temptation to waste money on resubmissions and presidential reviews.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    This is one of those unanswerable questions: which grading company is more accurate? All depends on who you ask. The ANA grading standards are pretty vague in MS. It's all subjective. As long as you are consistent the market will adjust. We see this with the price differentials between different slabs. If you are relatively close to correct grading as viewed by the market, you will do OK (PCGS,NGC, ANACS). If you are too far off (ACG, NTC and such) you will get beat on, at least by people who know better.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    A very good article with some valid points made. It's not that NGC doesn't grade consistently, it's that their idea of what makes a MS66 coin is about 1/2 to 1 point less that
    PCGS's idea of what makes a MS66 coin. This has been my experience. However, as even David Hall says, you should buy the coin not the slab. If it's really nice for the grade, PCGS would love to see it crossed over to one of their slabs.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    First time that I have seen this letter. If nothing more, I liked the tone of the letter.

Bulldog
    Proud to have fought for America, and to be an AMERICAN!

No good deed will go unpunished.

Free Money Search
  • Options
    For the record, I did NOT drag that thread back from never-never-land. I saw it last night (?) all of a sudden on the front page, with no indication of how it got there. I assumed that one of the mods had done something to get it there, hence my magic wand post.

I found out today that if you post and then quickly delete it, then it gives the appearance that the thread has mysteriously been TTT'ed but with no such actual TTT indicator.

EVP

• Options
    Interesting: yes. Unbiased: no.

• Options
    Interesting: yes. Unbiased: no.

I don't mean to criticize Salzberg, but how can he be unbiased? He is the head of Collector's Society and NGC. As such, we'd have to be pretty darn naive to think he'd be unbiased. Does that make what he said untrue? No. It could very well be true. But, he's certainly going to highly motivated to protect his turf, just like David Hall would be in protecting his turf. And, likewise with every other corporate head...

EVP

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    for me

if i would look at a coin in a pcgs/ngc holder

if the coin was an extraordinary extraspecial coin with a superlative look and i felt the it was a good value

then weather it was pcgs/ngc would not matter much to me

as long as the coin

is all there
    is to me a one in a million coin
    is one of the finest i have ever seen
    is a great value

michael

• Options
    I think the issue is generally which slab resales the best. It's PCGS. We all know that. Now, who has the best customer service? NGC?? ICG?? ANACS?? That's a whole different animal.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I think the CEO of Capital Plastics should now give a prepared statement on just how unbiased they are, and how cool their holders are. And the best part is, they don't even give opinions of grade, so you can just make up your own and have it printed in gold letters on the Capital holder!

dragon
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I wonder how long it will take before this thread gets yanked.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file