Home U.S. Coin Forum

Pictures of the NGC generation slabs LONG

Two days ago a request was made for the number of generations of NGC slabs, pictures and dates of use. Tese are just the production varieties. Here we go.....

imageimage
ngc 1 Used for Sept and possibly part of OCt 1987

imageimage
Not in book, will be assigned NGC 2.1 Insert has been changed from black to white but the label is still plain white and has been moved to the side with the obverse of the coin. The logo on the reverse has a raised texture but it is applied to the insert inside the holder. This is the same as was done on NGC 1.

NGC 2 This is almost identical to the previous generation but the raised texture logo is now on the outside of the holder. Both of these last two generations were used VERY briefly in 1987. The white label disappeared on the white insert and it was only used until new labels that had a logo and border on them could be printed up.

imageimage
NGC 3 Same as the previous but now the label has a border and the scales logo on it. Used from late 1987 to late 1989. This type is actually two generations. It actually comes with two different colors to the border. This was pointed out by Cameron and some others here on the forum. I was unaware of this because I literally can't see it (colorblindness problems) I don't know the breakdown of when the two color varieies were used.

imageimage
NGC 4 The raised texture logo is gone and has been replaced with a full width hologram. This was begun in response to the counterfeit PCGS slab scandal as an upgrade of security to the slab. It was felt that the hologram would be very difficult to duplicate. This variety was used from late 1989 to 1992.

imageimage
NGC 5 A bar code has been added to the front label. Used from 1992 to 1997.

imageimage
NGC 6 Slab now has a "keyed" insert. A groove across the insert and a raised ridge in the outer shell that fits into it seperates the paper label area from the coin area. Used brieftly in 1997.

imageimage
NGC 7 The hologram has been changed. It is now only half the width of the slab. This was used from 1997 through Aug 2000, and then from Oct 2000 through Aug 2001.

imageimage
NGC 8 Used in Sept of 2000 only. The serial number is now in tiny digits and is below the barcode. This was not popular and after only about a month they returned to the NGC 7 variety.

imageimage
NGC 9 In Sept 2001 they widened the bottom border of the label and added the company name there. This variety continued until July 1st 2003.

imageimage
NGC 10 On July 1st 2003 the NGC slab underwent a major revision. The font used on the front label was changed, the grade is now in BOLD TEXT and the company name has been removed from the bottom border, being replaces with the companies initials on the left and the website address on the right. The hologram on the back has also been redesigned. The top third has the scales and the company initials. This section is much more refective than the bottom two thirds which has a satin finish. Below the reflective area is the company name. In the bottom left corner we find the ANA lamp of knowledge logo and the the right of it is the statement that "NGC is the ANA's official grading service". Used for two months until roughly Sept 1st 2003.

NGC 10.5]/b] A very rare slab. At the Silver Dollar Show in 2003 NGC experimented with making all of the text on the front label in BOLD font. This did not prove popular and it was immediately discontinued. The only slabs that will be found with this style are those slabs that were submitted for walkthough or next day service at the show itself. (Coins submitted to be mailed back later were placed in NGC 10 slabs.) As might be expected this is not a large number, and from that you would have to subtract those thet did not meet expectations and were cracked immediately for resubmission, and those that have been cracked since then. Probably not more than a few hundred to a thousand slabs still exist. I have one but don't have pictures yet. Oct 2003, three days only.

NGC 11 Appearing in August this is NGC's new set holder. I have seen it advertised but I have never seen an actual specimen. If they have not atually been released, then they may not exist with the label shown here (same as the front label of NGC 10), but when they do appear it would be with the label seen on the next variety. Has anyone actually seen one of these?

NGC 11.5 Almost immediately after NGC 12 appeared the front label was changed to eliminate the NGC website on the bottom border of the label and it was replaced by the company name. This was the same style that would continue on the single coin holder NGC 13. Probably started in Sept of 2003.

imageimage
NGC 12 This is the first band type label that NGC is now using to grade GSA Carson Ciy dollars and Brown Ikes still in the government holders. It uses the "brushed" hologram label with the "Lamp of Knowlege" logo. Began in early 2003.

imageimage
NGC 13 The latest variety beginning roughly Sept 1st 2003. The initials/website did not prove popular so they were removed and the company name was restored. The new text font with the grade in bold was retained though. Right now I do not know what the revese hologram looks like. The ANA adopted a new logo in late June of 2003 and they issued a directive to all dealers and companies that were using the old Lamp of Knowledge logo that they were to cease using it by August 1st 2003 and that only the new logo was to be used after that date. As of August 31st NGC, the official grading service of the ANA, still was usuing the old logo in violation of the directive. Update they finally started using the new "Crescent" logo in late Nov 2003, lasted til Nov 2004.

NGC 14 Multi-coin holder now using the ANA "Crescent" logo. Started use early 2004.

imageimage
NGC 15 The second NGC GSA/Ike band tyle holder The hologram now incorporates the new "Crescent" logo. This came into use in mid to late 2004 and is still in use.

imageimage
NGC 16 In February of 2004 NGC successfully out bid PCGS to be named the Official Grading Service of the Professional Numismatist Guild (PNG). This meant that PCGS would have to stop using the PNG logo and it would be placed on the NGC hologram. Now NGC had just redesigned their logo and had a large supply of holograms on hand, so the new design was not used until Nov 25th 2004. The hologram is now a large full width design with the ANA Crescent on the left and the PNG logo on the right.

Comments

• The NGC 2 looks a lot like the ICG slabs image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • I like the concept of the 5 coin holder, but if they grade GSA coins in the original holder, why don't they do the same with the Silver Proof sets from the mint? Or any set from the mint!! I don't see $500 or higher for a 69 UC set or higher for any of these moderns!
    Thanks for the update anyway!!image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • I heard from NGC today and the NGC 13 label began on August 18th.

Cameron Kiefer
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Conder101: Could you (or have you already) done the same type of thing on this forum to show pictures of PCGS slab generations ??

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • I posted it, checked it for errors, and corrected them. Relayer posted while I was editing. I have no idea why the ICG slab showed up. I had the file name misspelled (NGC2 instead of NGC2oa). Why that would pull up one of my ICG files I have no idea. It should have just given a red X.

• << <i>I heard from NGC today and the NGC 13 label began on September 18th. >>

That is probably August 18th. Sept 18th is still 8 days in the future.

Stuart,

No I haven't. I could but it will be even longer because there are more varieties.

Is there interest in such a thread? If so it will probably be a couple days.
  • I meant August 18 and I corrected it already. It lasted just about as long as NGC 8.

Cameron Kiefer
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Conder: I think that there is ALOT of interest in a PCGS version of the slab generation thread that you assembled for NGC !!! I'd find it a very valuable and useful reference, and would have no problem waiting a while until you can get to it.

Thanks!!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • All this information from condor101 and to think im in the same coin group that he is maybe some of his knowledge will rub off on to me .

Byron
    Im unemployed again after 1.5 years with Kittyhawk they let me go. image

My first YOU SUCK on May 6 2005
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought NGC 8 coins were holdered in AUGUST (apposed to Sept.). The "Apalachian Hoard" of colorfully toned war Jeffersons were slabbed during August and they all received (I think they all did) that insert.

peacockcoins

• greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I think that there is ALOT of interest in a PCGS version of the slab generation thread that you assembled for NGC !!! Stuart

I agree. This NGC thread is extremely interesting and helpful to me. I would love to see something similar for PCGS.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The NGC 1 Black insert slabs were in use in August of 1987. I first saw them at the Atlanta ANA convention which was held very late in the month.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Condor,
    Excellent post, some great info, keep up the good work.
    Thanks
    Allen
    Love those TONED Coins, a true Addict!!!

Proud member of TCCS!
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    a great thread thanks!

michael
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic thread, Conder!!! Thank you very much.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting thread....Thanks Conder101image
    YCCTidewater.com
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    conder101: Great post and yes, would also like a PCGS, ICG and ANACS thread!

By the way, I think the latest NGC label looks good. The previous one was terrible!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    condor101 - Thanks for the PCGS and NGC slab generations threads. They are quite interesting and very informative. I didn't see this NGC slab I own listed. It appears to be an NGC 2 or 2.1 insert but has the hologram on the reverse. Is this a new find?

imageimage
    ttt
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    USAROK, do you actually own that slab or just have the image? I have had a problem in the past with Heritage images of NGC 3 not showing the border or the scales logo. (I have ordered pieces from them with images that appeared to be NGC 2's and had no trace of borders or logo which when they arrived turned out to be the much more common NGC 3.) If the slab you pictured actually exists like that then it would have to be an error slab. The plain white label was discontinued over a year (close to two years) before the hologram appeared. There is no way a plain label would be used that late deliberately.
  • Hehe, I find it funny how alot of people call Conder101 "Condor101". I did the same exact mistake. Condor means "out of frankness", or something like that. Thanks Condor101, err I mean Conder101 image
  • USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    Conder101 - sorry about mis-spelling. I own the coin although it's in a safe deposit box back in the states and I'm in Korea. To the best of my recollection, the slab is as pictured by Heritage but without having it in hand I can't be 100% certain.

GoldCoinLover - Guess I should've paid more attention, I was thinking of condor as in a big bird with a large wingspan. Thanks for catching my error as I probably would've continued to spell conder101 incorrectly. Please don't think of me as a "Bird" brain due to my error. image
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those black ones are TOUGH to find...

Also good crack out candidates...image
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Where does this one fit in? Label of NGC-3, logo of NGC-4... Transitional slab?

-George
    42/92
    Why do you say label of 3 and reverse of 4? I know 3 comes in two different colors but in layout labels 3 and 4 are the same. Since I can't see the color difference between the two different NGC 3 labels I said in the book that NGC 3 and NGC 4 have the same label. (By the way according to David Lange at NGC the greenish border came first on NGC 3, then the brownish border.) If you are keying on the black dot on the border of the label in the pictures, that is not a useful feature as it moves around and varies in size. Sometimes it isn't there at all.
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Sry, I meant a color difference in the label. Did they use both colored labels at the same time? I just noticed a difference in your pictures, because your NGC3 picture shows a greyish border and scales for the label and the raised logo and your NGC4 picture shows a greenish border and scales with the hologram logo. My slab has the greyish border and scales label, but has a hologram logo.

So I'm wondering if this was a transitional slab that you had not recognized, and your description gives nothing of label color in NGC4, though you do note that two different colors were used on the labels of NGC3. So, is this just that NGC used both color labels into the NGC4?
    -George
    42/92
    The reporting on the two different colors of NGC 3 are from reports given me by others. I have not received reports of two colors on the NGC 4. Don't trust color comparison from the images because the images may be taken at different times, on different equipment, or may have had different things done to them. Also I don't know which of the color varieties of NGC 3 I have pictured. I don't even HAVE examples of both NGC 3's because I can't tell them apart.

Does anyone out there have examples of two differnt colors of NGC 4?
  • SemperFISemperFI Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Condor,

There are some of the multi-coin holders on eBay.
    NGC Multi_1
    NGC Multi_2

Here is an example of the NGC GSA Silver Ike $
    NGC GSA_1
  • RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Great history of NGC slabs!! Thanksimage
    I seriously need to update this thread like I did the PCGS thread. I have added at least eight more NGC varieties since this thread was last updated. NGC, and PCGS are both now rapidly catching up with ACG for the most varieties of holder issued. (PCGS at 21, NGC at 24 possibly 25, ACG at 35.) NGC has really been going crazy. In their first 16 years they produced 12 holder varieties. From July of 2003 to July 2004 they have done 12 more. (Actually I can only confirm 8 right now, I haven't seen the most recent four with the hologram altered to include the PNG endorsement.)

Semper Fi, There are four different varieties of the multi-coin holders the two you show are the second and third varieties. There are at least three varieties of the NGC/GSA/IKE holders. The one you linked is the first one.

Goldcoin

<< <i> Condor means "out of frankness", or something like that. >>

Wouldn't that be Candor? Condor is a large carrian eating bird, Conder was a cataloger of 18th century British merchant tokens whose book remained the standard reference for the series from 1798 to 1890. Here in the US the series is now identified through the use of his name, Conder tokens. (Oddly in Great Britain they are known as 18th century provincial tokens.)
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Wait for the whole page to load.
  • elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    Conder101

Have you made note of or catalogued the differences in the thickness of NGC slabs??? I've always called one variety "fatties", because they seem to be thicker than the rest.

I think one other variety is a bit thinner than the rest?

Love the 1st Gen. Don't think I've ever seen one????
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • I don't believe there is any actual difference in the thickness of the slabs themselves, but when they went to I believe NGC 7 they beveled the edges of the slab instead of leaving them square. This does give them the visual impression of being thinner.

I can see that I'm going to have to update this thread since there are several more (at least 3 possibly 5) varieties that have been added by NGC since the last update.
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't believe there is any actual difference in the thickness of the slabs themselves, but when they went to I believe NGC 7 they beveled the edges of the slab instead of leaving them square. This does give them the visual impression of being thinner.

I can see that I'm going to have to update this thread since there are several more (at least 3 possibly 5) varieties that have been added by NGC since the last update. >>

I spent a lot of my time trying to do what you have done so well. That was before I saw you superb work here. Thanks.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Bravo Conder, A wealth of info on the evolution of slabs, Great job! image
    ttt as requested.

This also keeps this thread from going to "archives."
  • Thanks Conder for a kick a$$ post. That's a whole lotta research there. Are you and Cameron related?image
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Conder- excuse my ignorance, but did you write a book about the evolution of slabs? And if yes, is it available widely?
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Conder- excuse my ignorance, but did you write a book about the evolution of slabs? And if yes, is it available widely? >>

Since Conder hasn't read your question, the answer is yes and yes. Conder wrote a book on the subject and prints the book himself.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭
    Where can I find the PCGS slab history? Thanks in advance! Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

It needs updating but this is accurate as of a year or so ago. Changes in the last year are not included.

PCGS generations link.
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to own an NGC black slab.
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭
    THANKS!!! Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• << <i>I'd love to own an NGC black slab. >>

Don Bonser had one for sale with a $20 Saint in it in MS-62. He had it listed on ebay and there were no bids. He cracked it and upgraded it to a MS-64 before I heard about it. I already have one but would have notified slab collectors about it if I knew. I'll see him at FUN and knock him upside the headimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

He has just the slab... minus the coin... up for auction now!!

LINKY

Edited to add.. But you knew that Cammie!!! image

• LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Interesting info! Thanks!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
    Much has been discussed about the "dot" that appears in the lower (or sometimes in the UPPER right) corner of these early brown labels/inserts and less often in the green labels/inserts (NGC 3).

I am beginning to think they were "peel off guides" that were not meant to be seen on the label itself.

I suspect that these labels were printed onto multiple labels on a single feed 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper. The dots appear to have acted as a guide as to where to peel the labels off. However, the dots were not always perfectly printed in between the labels themselves.

These dots have appeared in both the regular and the sample NGC slabs.

Your thoughts????

That's pretty much the decision I had come to as well since their size and placement varies and sometimes they don't appear at all. They are not a deliberate part of the label design.

Interesting result of the sale of the cracked, empty NGC 1 slab shell. It sold for $42.79 That's not a bad price for an empty broken holder. image
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very informative thread on the NGC slabs. I will give you a A+ on this history lesson. The 80-S is a "KILLER MONSTER RAINBOW" very nice. image
    imageimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file