Home U.S. Coin Forum

Just for fun – Wisdom you learned over the years

Here is some wisdom and advise I have received over the years.

I once ask a successful man, “What made him successful”? He replied, “I wasn’t how hard I worked, it was many people I could get to work for me.” He has over 500 people working for him.

Wisdom from a bouncer in the Boston combat zone. If they come at you with their fists, you come at them with a knife, if they come at you with knife, you come at them with a gun, if they come at you with a gun, you turn around and run.

Let me know what you have learned over the years.

Todd
Todd Abbey

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I think there's a lot of "Dogbert Wisdom" out there. In one of the cartoons, ratbert asks him why he's so successful. Dogbert said every morning put your head into a bucket of jello and yell really loud. Then in the last panel Dogbert says to be wary of advice from successful people -- they don't like company.

That aside, I think integrity is a key element in success. For many of those successful people who lack integrity quickly fall out of success. See Kenneth Lay about that one.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    "if you like a coin, if you really really like it, then the price does not matter"

i've posted it before, from the wisest coin dealer i ever knew.

btw, applies to non-coin things as well. it only works if you are completely honest w/ yourself, though.

K S
  • The mind is the most dangerous weapon you have.Use it wisely.
  • imagePATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE! Followed by more PATIENCE. Time and planning in any collection requires it. image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • If you rack a bear in the nuts, be prepared to die.
  • If someone tells you, "I think we should see other people." it means they already are. image
    NMFB ™

• << <i>If you rack a bear in the nuts, be prepared to die. >>

Haven't seen that in a long time.
  • If someone tells you, "I just need some time to work on myself." it means they'll be married/co-habitating within the week. image
    NMFB ™

• If someone tells you, "It's not you, it's me.".... It's YOU. image
    NMFB ™

• Here’s another two:

At the dinner table the husband told the son to eat a food they didn’t like. The wife said no, but the husband insisted. The son ate the food and then immediately regurgitated the food up. The wife responded “Happy.”

A couple got into a disagreement and then the husband told the wife she was stupid. She responded, “that is why I married you.”

Todd
    Todd Abbey
  • "Ignorance is when you don't know what I just learned."

And, "Women. Can't live with them, can't shoot them."
    dwood

"France said this week they need more evidence to convince them Saddam is a threat. Yeah, last time France asked for more evidence it came rollin thru Paris with a German Flag on it." -Dave Letterman
  • " Be careful what you ask for...you might get it. "

" If the price is too good to be true, there's a reason "

" First impressions are lasting impressions"

" Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

" Don't try to wrestle with a pig...it gets you all muddy and annoys the pig" ...image
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always remember the golden rule; look both ways, make sure it's cool.
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opinions are like A$$holes...everybody has one!
  • I once ask a successful man, “What made him successful”? He replied, “I wasn’t how hard I worked, it was many people I could get to work for me.” He has over 500 people working for him.

Sorta reminds me of my brother in law.
    He has 500 people under him at the place he works, too.
    (He cuts grass at the city cemetery.)

Ray
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked a successful coin dealer, "what is the secret of your success"
    he replied, "two words: Right Decisions"
    so I asked him, "how do you know what are the Right Decisions?"
    he responded, "one word: Experience"
    I asked him "so how does one get Experience?"
    he said, "two words: Wrong Decisions"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• When my Grandparents were alive I got some good advice from them.

My Maternal Grandfather was a very successful Academic. He told me more than once: "It is not who you know, it is what you know."

My Paternal Grandfather was very successful in Business. He often told me: "It is not what you now, it is who you know."

So I grew up thinking I better both know something and know some people and hope to be lucky enough to end up in the right place and the right time image
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Don't bake coins in Potatos, and don't listen to the dog with the cigar!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭
  • It doesn't make any difference, whatever it is you buy as an investment(coins/stock/gold), you will be in very good shape if you sell just a little bit too quick! image
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • cswcsw Posts: 432
    Don't eat the yellow snow.

Tiger trout, Deerfield River, c. 2001.

• MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't eat the yellow snow. >>

To be correct it's Watch out where the huskys go, and don't you eat that yellow snow!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    the left side of the brain controlls the right side of the mind............the right side of the brain controlls the left side of the mind..........so there for...none of us are in our right minds.................image
  • "You never get a second chance to make a first impression"

"There's no sense in being stupid unless you can show it"

Andy image
    We are finite beings, limited in all our powers, and, hence, our conclusions are not only relative, but they should ever be held subject to correction. Positive assurance is unattainable. The dogmatist is the only one who claims to possess absolute certainty.

First POTD 9/19/05!!

• Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    You don't tug on SuperMan's cape
    You don't spit in the wind
    You don't pull the mask of the ole Lone Ranger
    And you don't mess around with Jim.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    "We are molded by our environment, so try to see the big picture before moving forward, or you maybe moving more than you think."
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Since this is the coin forum:

Never talk yourself into liking a coin.

Don't buy a coin without knowing how and where to sell it.
  • "A little bit of security in life is usually much more harmful than none at all."

The entrepreneur's creed!!!
    Go well.
  • "Going up the ladder is difficult, coming down is easy especially when someone has removed the rungs."

"For advice to be taken, you must charge dearly for it."

"To see what the daughter will be like in the future, observe the mother."

"Murphy was an optimist."

• "I cried because I had no shoes until i met a Man who had no feet"

unknown
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

"All emphasis is no emphasis."

"Don't get mad, get even."

"Success is its own reward."

The Golden Rule.
  • You don't get rich using you hands.
  • If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes.
  • VeepVeep Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy quality coins. You can buy junk anytime.

People are as happy as they make their minds up to be.--- A. Lincoln
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • PeetiePeetie Posts: 627 ✭✭
    "Always carry a litter bag in your car, when it gets full you can just toss it out the window." --Steve Martinimage
  • "Be calm in the face of all common disgraces, and know what they're doin' it for."

"Beware of kind faces in dark, dingy places."

"The climb you know, is hard and slow, but the fall is quick and fast."
    Every day is a gift.
  • "Trying is the first step towards failure"......Homer Simpson image
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    "Those that can do; those that can't teach; those that are truly screwed up criticize those that do.".....This quote is dedicated to "self-proclaimed experts" -- on both the left and right -- who pontificate, procrastinate, and accomplish nothing...
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    If you can't spell, then Lookitup.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Stay away from areas of the market that are hot; be an contrary buyer if your contrary purchases fit in with your collecting objectives. This goes for all coins, classic and modern.

2. Any coin can be overpriced at a given point in time, but hot modern issues, especially very recent modern issues are the most likely to be overpriced. Very recent modern issues suffer from the “I’ve GOT to have it now” collector mentality, and there is a significant supply of many modern issues.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    First, a serious one. All you young folks under 22, listen up.

When I was 24, I was trying to decide if I should go back to school for my MBA. I was doing pretty well at my company and while I have always enjoyed learning, I wasn't sure if it was a good move. Plus, it was darn expensive. My girlfriend's father was a PhD in Psychology and offered the advice that "the best investment you can make is in yourself". I went back for the MBA and am now making 5X what I was 10 years ago. I am working for a great company (Dell Computer) where I would never be if not for the connections I made in grad school. (as Carl mentioned, it's been a bit of what you know and who you know).

On the fun side, check out this website: Demitivators Hit the links on the right - they are hilarious.

These are sort of the pessimist's view of all those motivational posters that drive you crazy. My favorite saying is "the tallest blade of grass is the first one hit by the mower".
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always (and I mean ALWAYS) buy your wife flowers for Valentine's Day.
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Those that aren't musicians are critics.

Pay close attention to how your date treats the waitress. That's how she really feels about people.

Doers have more fun than watchers.

Never bet a man with a one-iron and a suntan.

The lottery is a tax for people who are bad at math.

In some ways, dogs are smarter than we are. They live in the moment.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Never Give Up!

Never!

Never!
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't never did a thing.

Live for today as tomorrow may not arrive.

• Sadly, I've learned absolutely nothing.image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • You make a living with your hands. You make money with your headimage
    A quote from a self-made millionaire
    AL(Copperhead)
    Gotta love them Mercs
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.

A Smith & Wesson beats four aces.

When two people meet to decide how to spend a third person's money, fraud will result.

Every man has a scheme that will not work.

Friends may come and friends may go, but enemies accumulate.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If someone tells you, "I think we should see other people." it means they already are. >>

<< <i>If someone tells you, "I just need some time to work on myself." it means they'll be married/co-habitating within the week. [

<< <i>If someone tells you, "It's not you, it's me.".... It's YOU. >>

ROFL.... sounds like someone has had their guts ripped out a few times, only to add.... if that someone says they are "confused" RUN !!!

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • “Aeschylus wrote ‘In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God’”
    -Robert Kennedy, Indianapolis 1968.

Until he extends his circle of compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.
    -Albert Schweitzer

There was a fly buzzing around a barn one day when he happened on a pile of fresh horse manure. Due to the fact that it had been hours since his last meal, he flew down and began to eat. He ate and ate and ate. Finally, he decided he had eaten enough and tried to fly away. He had eaten too much though, and could not get off the ground. As he looked around wondering what to do now, he spotted a pitchfork leaning up against the wall. He climbed to the top of the handle and jumped off, thinking that once he got airborne, he would be able to take flight. Unfortunately, he was wrong and dropped like a rock, splatting when he hit the floor: Dead.

The moral to the story is: Never fly off the handle when you know you're full of $hit.
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file