Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

YOU MAKE THE CALL 7! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

OK! It's been a long, long time, but I figure it would be fun to have another grading contest! Same rules as before, you get 1 point for every point you are off on the grade (i.e. if you guess MS-63 and it's MS-65, you get 2 points), and 1/2 point for missing designations (i.e. if you guess DCAM and it's CAM, etc). The person with the LOWEST total score wins, and in the event of a tie, any comments included in the guesses will be considered, or as a last resort, I will rely on a random number generator in Excel. You may only win one of these every 60 days, so if you won one of these in the last 60 days, you cannot win the prize, but you are welcome to guess for fun! Since it's been so long since my last contest, I will extend this one for 2 days instead of the normal 1-day, so the contest will end at 7:00 PM Pacific Time (10:00 PM Eastern Time) Thursday, November 21, 2002. The PRIZE this time is a 1971-S Unc. silver "Blue Ike" dollar! (don't get too excited, it's not the prettiest one I've seen, but at least it's free for the winner!) For this contest, we are going to mix it up a bit on the grading service, but will look at the five major types of double eagles, Type 1, 2 and 3 Liberty and With Motto and No Motto Saint-Gaudens designs (sorry no HR). Here they are with the grading service noted:

Type I Liberty Obverse - ANACS
Type I Liberty Reverse - ANACS
Type II Liberty Obverse - ICG
Type II Liberty Reverse - ICG
Type III Liberty Obverse - PCGS
Type III Liberty Reverse - PCGS
No Motto Obverse - PCGS
No Motto Reverse - PCGS
With Motto Obverse - NGC
With Motto Reverse - NGC

***Please send me a PM with your guesses, or e-mail me at jtryka@hotmail.com, as guesses posted on the open forum may give some an unfair advantage. HAVE FUN!!! Do NOT Post guesses in the open forum!!! ***

PS-I know my pictures aren't the greatest, but try to have fun anyway! image

SEE RESULTS BELOW!

Comments

• Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    PM Sent.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    Nice coins! I guess...
  • Options
    jtryka
    One day I will aquire enough Knowlage to partake in one of your contests.

I imagine in a few years after that I might do well enough to keep you from busting your guts.image
  • Options
    I'm with MAULUMALL I'll sit this one out until i have the even the smallest chance of winning.
  • Options
    But MAULUMALL, guessing, even incorrectly is part of the learning process! Imagine if you quit trying to ride a bike the first time you fell off? Either way, I usually don't laugh at people's guesses, the only exception being those who think they are experts and guess way wrong! image
  • Options
    jtryka - PM sent.

Guys, if I can guess at them, you can too! image
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    thanks Jeff. i'm going to take my time with these, but you'll get a p.m. from me. if i could take decent photos i would try to do one of these contests but i'm still a bumbler with the digicam. hopefully i'll get it figured out soon. in the meantime it's good to have you back.
    z
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    PM sent. I usually grade gold a little low, so I tried to be liberal. Gold is a soft metal, after all! Still, I do need to bone up on my gold grading. I hope I came at least remotely close!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PMage SENTage
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    PMS
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    PM sent. Never looked at Double Eagles before, but gotta start somewhere.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

PM with the correct grades sentimage
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Pretty confident aren't we relayer! Nice type set by the way, I think mine still needs one more coin to be complete, but I haven't looked at it in a while!
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    I usually don't laugh at people's guesses, the only exception being those who think they are experts and guess way wrong!

Good thing I didn't claim to be an expert.

I hope the contest rules don't have any fine print saying that we are supposed to match the grade on the insert instead of giving the correct grade of the coin.image
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    relayer- I guess there is going to be a tie because I got them all correct also image. Mike
  • Options
    Of course you have to guess the grade on the insert relayer! If it was the true grade, we'd be here till April trying to figure out who won!
  • Options
    pm just sent!
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    PM Sent - You've really got to try and find better than AG3 coinsimage
  • Options
    ttt-

Man CarsonCityGold, I'd like to have you grading all the coins I am looking to buy! I could get some real bargains if they all grade AG-3 (could you throw a couple of P-01s too?).
  • Options
    if AG3 coins looked as good as Jeff's I would be buying lot's of coins image. Jeff anybody get close to a perfect score yet? mike image
  • Options
    Mike,

Here's the update: So far 18 people have submitted guesses, and the current leader has a score of 3.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Am I the current leader?
  • Options
    If I told who the leader was, then no one would be excited about seeing the results!
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    I missed by three whole points!image mike
  • Options
    I tried but I know its way wrong
  • Options
    OK - If I raise 3 coins to G4 from AG3, I should be dead on!! imageDarn, I thought I hit it right the first time. Ooooops, I wasn't supposed to post my guesses here.image
  • Options
    ttt- less than 2 hours left!
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    Resultsimage... I know I didn't win, but I always like to see how I compare.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    two minutes to go!
  • Options
    I guess my clocks a little slow compared to the PCGS forumn clock.image
  • Options
    Thanks for your patience everyone, my internet connection is a little slow tonight. And thanks to everyone that participated! Here are the results:

#1 ANACS AU-55
    #2 ICG MS-61
    #3 PCGS MS-63
    #4 PCGS MS-63
    #5 NGC MS-62

and the winner is...swhuck! who submitted guesses through the NGC forum (not sure if swhuck is a member of both boards). swhuck's score was 3, with three coins guessed correctly and Type II off by 1 point and the Motto Saint off by 2! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Here are some fun stats, with all the standard disclosure that it's hard to grade from photos, and this is not a scientific survey by any stretch. What follows is the high, low and average grades assigned to each by the participants:

#1 High: MS-63 Low: EF-40 Average: AU-57.7
    #2 High: MS-65 Low: VF-35 Average: AU-57.5
    #3 High: MS-66 Low: AU-55 Average: MS-62.1
    #4 High: MS-65 Low: EF-40 Average: MS-60.2
    #5 High: MS-65 Low: EF-40 Average: MS-62.2

So from this internal survey, it appears that on these coins, the participants thought ANACS undergraded by nearly 3 points, ICG overgraded by 3.5 points, PCGS overgraded one by almost a point, and the other by nearly 3 points, and NGC was just about right on, but a little tight. Personally, I like all these coins or I wouldn't own them, and I bought them based on the coin, so my purchase prices are not all that reflective of the grade assigned but more in line with the average grades (though I might have gotten a bargain or two!). Hope you all had fun and learned something!
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arggh! I had 4 - that ICG overgrade killed me! Or the NGC undergrade - take your choice! image
  • Options
    Well TDN, you did come in second place with a score of 4, and the undergrade hurt you more, you missed that by 2, and the overgrade by 1 and the type 3 by 1. Not bad. Before you all ask, darktone came in third with a score of 5, and he actually got the most correct, with 4, but just really got hung up on the NM Saint image Overall, of the 27 people that guessed, 3 guessed #1 correctly, 5 guessed #2 correctly, 7 guessed #3 correctly, 8 guessed #4 correctly, and 5 guessed #5 correctly! So it seems the ANACS coin was the real challenge!
  • Options
    similar gripe on the ICG! but let's here it for the host of the contest-it was fun!image
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options

Figures the winner would be from somebody across the street.image

The only one I got right was the ICG image (or maybe that's the only graded correctly?)
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i deliberately undergraded the ICG coin...

yeah right...i gave it the VF 35...

but dinner was ready,okay?...image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arrrggh.......... I guessed:

Type I Liberty - ANACS.....AU-58....... correct answer 55
    Type II Liberty - ICG........MS-60........ correct answer 61
    Type III Liberty- PCGS.....MS-62....... correct answer 63
    No Motto Saint...PCGS.....MS-62........ correct answer 63
    Motto Saint........NGC.......MS-63........ correct answer 62

Over and under by one grade in everyone of them :-(

I still think that the type I ANACS is a 58, the type II ICG a 60 (doesn't that grade exist anyomre???????), the type III PCGS a 62, and the Motto Saint NGC a 63. The one I caould go along with is the no motto saint as a 63 but with some pusjing and shoving.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    but i was right on with the two PCGS coins...

that makes me so happy i...i...i could cry...

congrats to the winner!...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    OH! I was so close to a perfect score! I was undecided on the no motto saint as I told myself it's either AU58 or MS63 and I chose poorlyimage. But it has been alot of fun! When's the next one? image mike
  • Options
    Oreville,

Yes that grade still does exist, in fact, my latest addition to my Saint set is exactly that grade (though it's my only MS-60 Saint!). Here's a link:

1915 NGC MS-60
  • Options
    Mike,

I was very impressed with your guesses, it's amazing how one coin can throw everything off!

• Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    Jeff
    thanks, all i can do is blame my monitor. ;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file