Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just for FUN! Guess the grade on this $10 Indian

Just for fun, I'd like to see what you think. This one has been in the vault for a while, graded by PCGS, older green holder. I'll come back later and post the grade. And yes, those are some fairly significant copper/rust spots over America on the reverse.

1932 Obverse
1932 Reverse

Comments

• Options
    PCGS 62+ (I like the yellowish toning but it's a bit too baggy for a 63).
    Nicht mehr Münzen-für jetzt!
  • Options
    HMMM - Oh I get it - we're playing ACG graders! Yeaaaaaaah that's the ticket! image

Take a look at the pic JT image
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    Ummm not for nuttin but

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Looks like one giant copper spot.image

EDIT: Real coin up now. I grade it Very Pretty.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    WHOOPS!!! image My mistake, and it should be fixed now. Russ you took the words right out of my mouth! image
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Wish I could find a similar piece in my vault. Oh wait, I don't have a vault. So I guess I wouldn't find one there. Maybe I need one so a piece will automatically appear....

The jpeg compression distorts the image a bit. So I'm going to guess based on optimistic appraisal of the coin (assuming major distortion) and pessimistic (assuming less distortion)

MS 61 or AU 55
  • Options
    Wow - it's a beaut - helluva strike! - I'll say MS66

Frank
  • Options
    pretty darn clean and great strike. Couple of digs in the less-important field, i'LL GO 65
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    MS62
    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I thought copper spots, on either side, limited the coin's grade to 63 or less? And there appears to be hits in the prime focal area. To the left of liberty and near the rim on the same level as her nose. The sharpening of the image (or the contrast used) creates artifacts that make it hard to determine hits versus image distortion. There also seems to be some hits in the head dress.

Still would want one myself. image
  • Options
    jtryka, thanks for the fun!

I'm no gold guy, but if it were a Peace dollar, I'd give it an MS62.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I've gotta go MS64 on it.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Old holder, PCGS MS63-MS64. Ok, MS64. My guess is that the spot wasn't there when it graded. The contact in the field doesn't look that significant. Those are sure beautiful coins. What a great design.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    MS63 a nice frosty coin! Looks to have no wear at all just some light surface marks keeping it from 64. I have seen copper spots on very high grade gold coins and in my eye's they do not hurt the coin at all-it shows originality. mike
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    couple spots distracted me but i am going to say 63 over all Nice Piece...

Wait i take that back i now say 64ish 65 ish nice strike. i think the spots i see on on the slab.

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS62.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    PCGS MS62
    NGC MS64
    ICG MS65
    NTC MS68
    ACG MS70

The real value... priceless!!
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    these are tough to grade...

i'd say it got 63...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    Jeff
    we've sure missed you around here!!!! glad to have you back.
    gonna guess 62. but it's a toughie.
    z
  • Options
    Well, thanks for all those who participated! PCGS gave this a 62, which I kinda agree with. Personally, the obverse is very nice, I like it a lot, but the copper spots on the reverse are really distracting, but they were there when I bought it which explains the nice price I got. Hopefully they won't get any worse over time, otherwise I hope I can find a good conservation company for gold! image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU-58 or MS-61.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm.......you would think I would have guessed better after the answer was given out???????????? image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    It's ok Oreville, at least we know it was an honest guess! image
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    wow I was only off 1 point on an indian gold coin! I am getting better on these. Thanks Jeff this is always fun to do. Mike image
  • Options
    Did I win the Gold coin? I was right on the money and I am sure my other grading service grades were corrrect too!!
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    Sorry Whitewash, there was no prize for this one, but it brings up an interesting question, how do you judge these contests? Do you first start by what you think the grade really is, and then add or subtract points based on the service that slabbed it? Or do you just try to grade it based on what you think the service would grade it? I think I use the first method, but I think it would be an interesting topic of discussion.
  • Options
    Jeff,

I guessed 62 because I have that coin in 63, and I simply used that as a starting point. Since I already have that date, I won't be asking for yours as a prize!

EVP

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Pretty nice looking guy, spots or not. Thanks for the fun.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Now send it to the others and see if Whitewashqtr is correct! I second his opinion!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    If anything WSM, I would send it to NCS to remove the copper spots, and then to NGC to put in a nice 62 holder. But I am just fine with it the way it is.
  • Options
    Send it to NGC the way it is and the fee is on me! I really want to see what happens. I think were right, theyll give you a nice 64 holder!
  • Options
    well, I would first have to register with NGC to be able to submit, and I am not quite ready to do that yet. I need to get the coins together that I would want to submit first.
  • Options
    Can NCS tone an IHC? I have a nice 64L thats been cleaned! Whats the quickest way to make it look natural again? The coin has tons of luster!
  • Options
    I am not sure, I think they deal more with correcting things like toning, carbon spots, PVC damage etc. There is an "ask NCS" forum within the NGC forums, so I would bet they might have your answer.
  • Options
    Is there a Dr. in the house?
  • Options
    Can NCS tone an IHC?

I'm kind of a newbie w/ copper, but how does copper tone besides just turning brown? I'm most familiar with silver, and I can understand how silver tones (by reacting with sulfurs and developing patina from the resultant chemical reaction).

What exactly is copper toning? Also, what the heck is gold toning? I thought gold is a non-reactive metal? (I'm not asking about copper spots.)

Back in my college days, I've experimented with electrical properties of various ceramics. Copper seemed to corrode and develop a crud of salt as I pass a current through it. Or, is my memory completely shot?!?

(I'm looking for a numismatic as well as a chemist's explanation to my question...)

EVP

• Options
    Copper can turn all the same colors as Silver! Can some of you folks show us your wares? Ive seen some outrageous IHCs on this forum! I would settle for brown, apparently the services dont like reddish gold!
  • Options
    Well, I was going to give it AU-58 based on the pictures but I am a very hard grader. Ill try to post one of my $10 Indians soon if I can get decent pics. Should be interesting.
    "Marc with a C but call me MAX.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file