Home U.S. Coin Forum

A few questions from Anaconda for David Hall.....

Howdy, David! Most of us just love PCGS coins and are just tickled that you are here! Just a few questions, if you don't mind.

First of all, I've submitted less than 20 coins in the last 10 years. So, forgive my ignorance, however, I deal in mostly PCGS and NGC
coins, so the answers to my questions are of interest to me.

1. I've heard that people that submit coins under express service (or called something like that) which costs substantially more than
slower service, are more likely to get favorable grades. Can you produce any study done by a disinterested third party that you,
as a key man at PCGS, might have commissioned to be done that could refute or would substantiate that claim? (I'm confident
that you are interested in making sure your business is truly objective in it's grading of coins, and therefore would be interested
in that kind of information, since you revealed on this board that some 70,000 coins come through PCGS every month producing
a gross revenue of well over one million dollars a month.)

2. I've heard that PCGS is more likely to not holder a coin as "X" if if is in an NGC "X" holder (crossover), but that if it is broken out and
submitted as a raw coin, that is more probable that it will get holdered as "X". Have you heard this allegation and would you be willing to commission
or produce an objective study done by a disinterested third party that would substantiate your reasonably predictable assertion that
no such negative bias exists against coins in your competitors holders. (My suspicions are that the study could be done for less than
45 minutes worth of grading fees.)

3. My suspicions are that you like coins and collectors and that you have a great deal of respect for NGC. Why don't you be the first to have
a registry which allows entry of coins graded by both PCGS and NGC? You, at this point at least, would beat the competition and establish
early market penetration? You would make many collectors happy. (Certainly you don't contend that the PCGSs' "worst" coins in grade "X"
are better than NGCs' best coins in "X" grade?)

4. Why don't you grade coins like gynastics and figure skating is judged - by an average of the opinions rounded to the nearest tenth.
(While the answer of "because coins aren't gymnastics or figure skating would be funny, I'm hoping for a well-thought out non-humorous
response.) It would seem that you might end up with results that would be more replicable.

5. Are you ever afraid that one of your graders is going to be driven to violence by being forced to grade so many Kennedy halves?
You know, kind of the equivalent of going postal in a numismatic setting.

Thanks in advance for your consideration of my questions.

adrian

Comments

• << 5. Are you ever afraid that one of your graders is going to be driven to violence by being forced to grade so many Kennedy halves?
    You know, kind of the equivalent of going postal in a numismatic setting. >>

Adrian does it again:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Yes, I'm glad you're sticking around.
  • gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Proposed addition to Adrian's question #2:

2a: Of those coins submitted in other's slabs, and broken down by the specific grading service, what percent cross
    at 1)any grade, 2) the same grade, 3) a higher grade?
  • It would be an absolutely awful idea to allow lower quality at the same grade NGC coins into the PCGS Registry. I collect IHCs and the guys in the Registry would be sickened by thought of such contamination.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know someone who submitted what he thought was a ms64 97-O thru express service. Came back AU53 as I remember; hardly favorable treatment IMO.
  • Dammit Adrian, I spit my coffee all over my desk on question five!
    I'm really enjoying that 34' peace $, more rich wine color under a reveal light. I found that booklet { A Coin Catechism by J. K. Lipton 1895 } I'll hand it off to you at the next show.
    Regards,
    Tim
    My proof Jeffs
  • Hey Tim! I would love to have it, thanks.

adrian
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adrian, At least my last submission included Hoot's 1993 AG03 (FA02, maybe?!) clad Kennedy half- so these PCGS graders (no finalizer?!) will have something to chuckle about.
    Some of us are trying to do our part to cheer up their day.

peacockcoins

• 3. My suspicions are that you like coins and collectors and that you have a great deal of respect for NGC. Why don't you be the first to have
    a registry which allows entry of coins graded by both PCGS and NGC? You, at this point at least, would beat the competition and establish
    early market penetration? You would make many collectors happy. (Certainly you don't contend that the PCGSs' "worst" coins in grade "X"
    are better than NGCs' best coins in "X" grade?)

NGC's registry already allows for PCGS and NGC certified coins.
    Keith ™

• David Hall has been posting quite a bit today. Anyone disappointed he refused to provide answers to these questions? Would definitely qualify as "pick and choose" customer service!
  • Adrian: You are such a suckup that I am surprised that you have not drunk the Drano years ago. How can you look at yourself in the mirror every morning without spontaneously taking a razor blade and slashing your wrists. Every time I read one of your low-life-epistles, I want to retch on my coffee table. Problem is: you are not worth the trouble to clean it up. You are like some miseable hound following "Mister" Hall around licking his heels and feeding on his offel. I can always count on you to be on the wrong side of an issue, like living in a parallel universe, Adrion. Keep up the good work, and I mean that (SCOFF!).
    I have never seen a Peace Dollar that I did not like!!
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    anaconda

you have lied to me in the past and have not kept your word to me and you have cost me time and money and worry.............

personally i do not like anything you say on here

but maybe i am a little biased towards you...........lol

sincerely michael
  • Rob - I like you.........and Don Quixote. Do me a favor, though. Take your time in reading this post and take at least 20 minutes to respond,
    especially if you're going to continue saying mean things about me. You might only get one chance to get a free PCGS Mint State buffalo nickel.

You are like a diamond in the rough. I can tell you're smart and conscientious because you spelled every word in your
    post correctly (except the second time you used my name and you did that, I suspect, on purpose) and used outstanding grammar
    and punctuation, which in this instance could be like putting your hair up into a really attractive bun right before you meet
    the guy with the black hood. I'm also partial to people like you who are not afraid to engage in activities that would put most of us in the
    hospital like putting your foot in your mouth so far that your hips become dislocated. Seen "Jackass - The Movie"? It's next on my list.

Now, get those facets by going back to my post and reading past the first line, nice and slow. Maybe someone can PM you and let
    you know what is going on. I find it most effective when slamming someone, to slam them after determining what their position really is.

Oh, and by the way, I suspect you and the Pikachu are having a little competition to see who can get
    the snake to swallow your skirted dynamite. Next time, try to post a little further apart than exactly 5 minutes.
    Slamming me in different threads would be hard to detect.

Ok, Rob, you win. Sorry, Pikachu but just making up stuff doesn't count. Anyone can do that. And besides, you have to use
    reasonably good grammar and punctuation to show you're worthy.

Rob - would you like an uncirculated PCGS Mint state Buffalo Nickel for your impending efforts? I'll give you one for free not for your
    first post but only if you can now gracefully change the direction of this thread off of me and back onto coins. Here's
    a suggestion - tell us about yourself. I'd like to know more about you, like what do you collect, how long have you collected
    and what is your dream coin. My dream coin is a Mint State 65 Chain Cent. Either NGC or PCGS - however it has to be problem
    free and well struck. I had one in PCGS AU55 that I paid $57,500 for. It was exceedingly sweet. I do have a 1793 Wreath Cent
    in PCGS MS 63 that is the only uncirculated piece with a lettered edge.

Unfortunately, my wife now requires that I obtain her permission for any coin over 50K which is kinda humiliating. "Hang on, Mr. Halperin,
    I need to call my wife to see if she will let me buy the coin......."

adrian

• Gee.....sounds like Rob really has it goin' for you.

Personally- I thought the questions were well thought out, and that DH will NEVER get those independent studies done because the powers that be at PCGS don't want to know the answers.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file