Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So much loving going on over DHall

EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
Folks,

I find it a little bit comical that so many folks here are tripping over themselves to kiss HomeRunHall's tightly puckered brown eye. It's also a bit nauseating.

It's fine to wish success of PCGS -- after all, increased competition amongst the services means a better product for all of us -- but you really should wait and see if anything truly substantive comes of all this before you all pull out the knee pads or throw your daughters at him.

Get a grip, people! Congratulate him only after he makes a sustained positive change to the situation. Don't congratulate him just because he deigned to post a few messages here.

Duh!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EVP - a step in the right direction deserves positive reinforcement.
  • Options
    Positive reinforcement is appropriate. But, that's a heck of a lot of positive reinforcement already!

EVP

• Options
    For QDB, I think I will break out my knee pads!

EVP

• Options
    << For QDB, I think I will break out my knee pads! >>

I bet Walter Breen would appreciate it even more. image ^_^

kekekekekekeke

(I apologize for the poor taste of that joke. But it's funny. Laugh dammit!)
  • Options
    EVP has my vote here.

People constantly complain about PCGS and their standards, inconsistency, etc. DH is practically tarred and feathered nightly on here. We have one little change and we are now in utopia? Too much puckering, save it for when change really does occur.

As for the celebrity status I feel that is part of the problem. We shower various dealers / individuals with praise for just running their business or doing their job. Let's save it for something exceptionally. D. Bowers has published widely and is a recognized and accomplished figure. I won't name names but there are too many Johnny come latelys who are getting the royal / celeb treatment w/o any accomplishment other than having some nice coins in inventory. Many of them know zilch about numistmatics.
  • Options
    I e-mailed the both once about a Registry question. Both replied by e-mail. I think I saved Bowers somewhere. I've actually had several from Hall on Registry weighting issues for Type sets. I caused a bit of a ruckus when those came out.
    Keith ™

• Options
    EVP:

excellent post. PCGS had lost the confidence of the membership a scant day ago, a few posts about how "we're going to try to do better" and the world spins freely on it's axis once again.

Now the board reminds me of an episode from:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    EVP,

Be nice!

Personally, I'd like to see John Love or Wayne Miller chime in and tell us some good silver dollar stories.

Dragon
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    EVillageProwler why don't you make a post about what you don't like... facts/issues..ect..ect..? Instead of making personal attacks on Hall?

No one ever accused DHall of being a class act.

I would love to see competition with NGC thrive. I don't really care if it's PCGS or ANACS or whatever. But, I definitely do NOT wish DHall much success...

Are you trying to be a troll? You sound like a Dem after Tuesdays election. Sounds like you have some kind of personal problem with David Hall. Why don't you call him and quit whining.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>EVP,

Be nice!

Personally, I'd like to see John Love or Wayne Miller chime in and tell us some good silver dollar stories.

Dragon >>

Dragon,

Just come on up to Montana and visit them, it isn't even really snowing yet. image.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Ok, Spooly, I'll share AGAIN a couple of my reasons why I dislike DHall:

1. He needs to cease using PCGS as a personal weapon for garnering market share. That service is supposed simply to grade coins, as accurately, consistently and efficiently as possible. No games with grade deflation and crossovers please!

2. He needs to expunge CU of the huge potential conflict of interest: PCGS grades, CU prices, and DHRC sells.

I've said this all before. And, as long as all this continues, I will continue to whine about it to anyone and everyone who will listen. Why? Because I want PCGS to be an excellent source of independent 3rd party grading that I'd be happy to give my money and coins to. (You know, most of my coins are in PCGS slabs!)

EVP

• Options
    And, Spooly, I think it is unfair that you're calling me a troll just because you dislike what I said. Please keep in mind that already a number of folks actually agree with my sentiment regarding this lovefest over DH. So, this troll has a small following...

BTW, why are you so against what I wrote? Are you drinking too much koolaid? Have you completely lost all sense of objectivity? Or, do you have a secret agenda?

Keep in mind that all I wrote was that we're prematurely gushing over DHall. Once he accomplishes real and permanent positive change for PCGS, then we should gush over him. What's wrong with that?

EVP

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that all I wrote was that we're prematurely gushing over DHall. Once he accomplishes real and permanent positive change for PCGS, then we should gush over him. What's wrong with that?

EVP: that may be what you meant, but that's not how you wrote it. Your message was lost in your language. Remember my PM regarding your tiff with Stuart Blay?
  • Options
    I agree with TDN on this one. 100 percent.

Carl
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    EVP..... now you have said something! I agree on those issues.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    sounds like some are not very happy, and if they spend thier money with pcgs, they do have the right to ask why certain standards have changed. i think this needs to be addressed, and i also think there is a right way to go about it. voice how you feel, and try to show a little respect for others.
  • Options
    I had a busy morning and could get to this apology as quickly as I had wanted...

I now recognize that the tone of message was on the harsh side, and that could have offended some folks. To those I've offended by my tone, I apologize. Especially to Spooly, whom I accused of drinking hard koolaid...

However, as for the intent behind my message, I am willing to discuss this further. Many people probably think I favor NGC over PCGS. That is true. But, please believe me when I say that I want strong competition from all the services because I feel that this will result in an overall better product for us. So, in light of this, I actually want PCGS to be the best it can be.

As for my grievances with DHall, PCGS and the entire CU family, I think they are legit grievances. And, I think CU should make some sort of a formal response that even the skeptics among us can understand. That is, the response should be in plain and clear language that we'd have a chance of believing.

EVP

[edited to add: That I am less than fond of DHall does NOT mean that I don't want PCGS to do well. Doing well, btw, means for me that they deliver an excellent product in actual terms.]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file