Quick Links:   Pop Report | Set Registry | Cert Verification | Collectors Club | Grading Standards | Show Schedule

Navigation:

FORUMS > U.S. & WORLD CURRENCY FORUM [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: Best Way to Store Graded Notes
Created On Sunday April 04, 2010 9:38 AM
Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]

Planchet

Sunday April 04, 2010 9:38 AM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

How do you store your graded notes? I was told that they should never lie flat but rather should be stores so the holder is standing up. I was also told that you should never use rubber bands to told graded notes together as the material in a rubber band emits harmful gasses that can damage notes and also the pressure from the rubber band can damage a note. So how do you safely store graded notes. I am not worried about looking at them as I have images. They will be kept on a SDB at the bank.

Bottom

TheRock
Master Collector

Sunday April 04, 2010 10:04 AM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

Here you go. These cost $4.00 at Wallmart and I put my notes in them verticle and then all the boxes go into my SDB. They work great !!!

-------------------------
"GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

John DeRocker
President/CEO
The Rocks Collectables, LLC
TRC, LLC
[email protected]
SPMC Member - LIFETIME
TRC, LLC

Bottom

TCCUGA
Veteran

Sunday April 04, 2010 10:06 AM

The Whitman "graded currency album" is great. It holds PMG, PCGS, and CGA graded notes with attractive black-framed pages which allow the front and backs of notes to be visible. I picked mine up about 6 weeks ago at a show and it works well.

I just picked a random listing on ebay to show you one, but here is a link: Album

Buying Athens, GA nationals and obsoletes, for my personal collection
Buying most large and small type notes and some nationals for inventory

Bottom

Wizard1
Collector

Sunday April 04, 2010 10:29 AM

Holly crap... your sdb must be huge if you can fit a massive tub like that into it! LOLS

Im actually looking for those 2 window binder pages for holding my graded notes. I already use three window lighthouse binder pages to house my raw ones.

Dont forget to place a few packs of those , um... forgot what they are called, but those plastic beads that absorb moisture.

Something like these have worked real well for me in the past.

Anyone selling? Id definitely be interested.

Always looking for US 22666622, 34444443 and 18111181 Radars & 1898 Dominion of Canada $1 Notes (DC-13) & Perfect Flipper Serials consisting of 6, 8, 9, 0

Wizard1 Currency

Edited: Sunday April 04, 2010 at 10:33 AM by Wizard1

Bottom

cinch
Collector

Sunday April 04, 2010 10:32 AM

What is so bad about having graded notes lie flat? What about a note in a sleeve, should that lie flat?

My website: RICurrency.com

Bottom

Beatlefan

Sunday April 04, 2010 10:52 AM

I use 2 pieces of white 1/4 in. Foamcore cut to size, roughly 1/2 in. longer and 1/2 in wider than the graded note's holder. (Roughly 6 in. X 9 in. I think....going from memory) I simply "sandwich" several notes between the 2 pieces of foamcore and secure with 2 stout rubber bands width-wise, and one length wise. The foam core is very rigid and lightweight, so there's no chance of bending like cardboard, and holds the notes very securely. That works very well for me as I dont have a large quantity of graded notes...You can buy the foamcore at Walmart or Hobby Lobby.

Bottom

gnat
Expert Collector

Sunday April 04, 2010 11:42 AM

Graded notes don't need any special treatment as PCGS and PMG holders are quite thick and can be stacked safely as long as not "banded" together. For ungraded notes in mylar holders, a small group of notes with thick cardboard on top and bottom lightly banded together works fine and shouldn't press them out at all.

The albums are cool, but completely impractical for storing any collection of more than a few notes. I found that as more of my notes have migrated from mylar to tpg holders, the amount of SDB taken, just by this alone, has almost tripled. Albums would be impossible.

Edited: Sunday April 04, 2010 at 11:46 AM by gnat

Bottom

TheRock
Master Collector

Sunday April 04, 2010 1:01 PM

The albums are cool, but completely impractical for storing any collection of more than a few notes. I found that as more of my notes have migrated from mylar to tpg holders, the amount of SDB taken, just by this alone, has almost tripled. Albums would be impossible.

I agree with Gnat.

I moved away from all my albums for space reasons when I starting putting all my notes in holders. I can get about 250+ notes in each of these Walmart boxes and 8 of them per SDB (Locker).

Yes, I have more than 1 SDB and the price is very resonable at $145.00 a year for a SDB (Locker).

John DeRocker
President/CEO
TRC, LLC
[email protected]
SPMC Member - LIFETIME
TRC, LLC

Bottom

Wizard1
Collector

Sunday April 04, 2010 1:26 PM

Lucky you guys! Up here in Canada a 3 in x 11 in x 30 in (approx size) sdb box (which is the largest) costs $100 a year!

Always looking for US 22666622, 34444443 and 18111181 Radars & 1898 Dominion of Canada $1 Notes (DC-13) & Perfect Flipper Serials consisting of 6, 8, 9, 0

Wizard1 Currency

Bottom

mbwizkid
Collector

Sunday April 04, 2010 1:39 PM

I keep BOTH the graded notes, and my raw notes (in mylar holders) in zip-up Bank Deposit bags.
I talked with Dan at Currency America about how to store my 4-note sheets, and he recommend a brand called ITOYA. I ordered the ITOYA album and the acid-free, archivial quality sheets thru Amazon, and couldn't be happier about the decision. I keep both the ablums and zip-up Bank bags in carboard boxes inside the climate controlled, high security area where I work. I was having to rent SDB's at my local Bank, but found that way to inconvenient, and somewhat pricey.

Edited: Sunday April 04, 2010 at 1:40 PM by mbwizkid

Bottom

steve42

Sunday April 04, 2010 2:09 PM

I take about six TPG notes and put them between two pieces of cardboard (that I have received from auction houses) put two rubber bands on them and lay them flat in a safety deposit box. Does the rubber bands around the cardboard cause a potential problem?

Bottom

Wizard1
Collector

Sunday April 04, 2010 2:16 PM

<< I take about six TPG notes and put them between two pieces of cardboard (that I have received from auction houses) put two rubber bands on them and lay them flat in a safety deposit box. Does the rubber bands around the cardboard cause a potential problem? >>

Apparently, according to some, the rubber eventually give off toxic gasses etc that can damage your notes

Wizard1 Currency

Bottom

Planchet

Sunday April 04, 2010 2:40 PM

<< Here you go. These cost $4.00 at Wallmart and I put my notes in them verticle and then all the boxes go into my SDB. They work great !!! >>

Hi Rock, and the rest, the more I read on this subject, the murkier it gets. First, I am no expert. I am trying to learn the best way to store my notes so that they will remain in good condition.

Since I posted the thread I just done some more research. Rock, be careful on using those type of containers. The issue is what type of plastic was used for the mfg of the container. You can contact the mfg to make sure they do not use PVC or other plastics that contain volatile plasticizers which might emit damaging gas over time.

I just found a great newsletter issued by the National Park Service (Yes) on safe material to use for displays. You can find it at

http://www.nps.gov/history/museum/publications/conserveogram/18-02.pdf

Also, watch out for foam board. The plastic in the center may contain PVC or other chemicals that leach out in the form of gas than might damage your collection.

The same goes for using plywood. The glue used to put the board layers together, may or may not leach out a gas that is harmful to your collection.

As to the question about why not to store the holders flat, I was told that it puts pressure on the notes and can leave marks or press them.

My head is spinning from all this science stuff. Perhaps the fine staff of our hosts might provide some information on what types of storage boxes would be best.

Thanks

Planchet

Bottom

RogerRamjet
Collector

Sunday April 04, 2010 3:02 PM

This is very un-scientific: I use a SDB using the zip up bank bags. Now, I have only been doing this for 3 years so do not know the long term results. I do go in and "visit" them about every other month and there seems to be no problems.

Official recipient of the "You Suck" Award (Oct. 2011)

Bottom

Planchet

Monday April 05, 2010 5:35 AM

<< This is very un-scientific: I use a SDB using the zip up bank bags. Now, I have only been doing this for 3 years so do not know the long term results. I do go in and "visit" them about every other month and there seems to be no problems. >>

The thing to watch out for in zip up bank bags is the material used. Many banks are using bags that have PVC. Vinyl is a common material used for bank bags. Vinyl and any plastic with PVC is not a very good storage option. I have also seen bank bags with a vinyl outside and a cloth inside. Same problem as the vinyl emits a gas over time. Banks like vinyl because it is flexible, hard to rip, water resistant and inexpensive. However, vinyl and plastics with PVC are the very suited for the storage of archival material because they can dmage coins, notes, paper and other materials. -Planchet

Edited: Monday April 05, 2010 at 5:40 AM by Planchet

Bottom

mfontes
Expert Collector

Monday April 05, 2010 7:51 AM

You can use a medium post office flat rate priority box. It is the correct dimension to hold all TPG notes, except the older PCGS holders. Linder albums also work well for raw and TPG notes. Denlys sells them at Albums

Bottom

RogerRamjet
Collector

Monday April 05, 2010 3:43 PM

Thanks, Planchet!!! I like the Priority mail box idea. I will get on it tomorrow.

Official recipient of the "You Suck" Award (Oct. 2011)

Bottom

TheRock
Master Collector

Monday April 05, 2010 3:52 PM

I checked with Sterilite today and the containers that I use are not made with PVC. They told me what it was, but I could not wite it down fast enough though. Sorry about that.

I'll I cared about was if it was PVC or not.

Thanks for the heads up !!

John DeRocker
President/CEO
TRC, LLC
[email protected]
SPMC Member - LIFETIME
TRC, LLC

Bottom

Denny21
Expert Collector

Monday April 05, 2010 4:02 PM

Hey Rock,

Pretty sure those containers are thermoformed (vacuum formed) using High density polyethylene (HDPE).

Bottom

TheRock
Master Collector

Monday April 05, 2010 4:12 PM

Denny, that sounds familiar. Like I said, they were rattling off some language that I never heard of but when I specifically asked about "PVC" they said "NO". They said that they have not used that for years since all their containers were safe for food and microwaves.

Made sense to me. Nothing worse than cooked PVC in your food.

John DeRocker
President/CEO
TRC, LLC
[email protected]
SPMC Member - LIFETIME
TRC, LLC

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
FORUMS > U.S. & WORLD CURRENCY FORUM [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.