Quick Links:   Pop Report | Set Registry | Cert Verification | Collectors Club | Grading Standards | Show Schedule

Navigation:

FORUMS > U.S. & WORLD CURRENCY FORUM [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: How to remove ink from paper money?
Created On Monday July 13, 2009 2:42 PM
Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]

TheNoost

Monday July 13, 2009 2:42 PM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

I have tried: Rubbing alcohol, denatured alcohol, medical grade peroxide, effervescent heartburn relief tabs (2 in 5c 140 degree water for 25 mins.)and efferdent denture cleaner in 5cups 140 degree water for 15 mins. The denture cleaner worked the best and added some crispness to the note and the ink faded some, but is still there. So, what do you think will remove ink and still leave the note intact. FYI Common $2 red seal using for experiments. One day I hope to remove all the where's george stamps

Bottom

JonMN34

Monday July 13, 2009 3:03 PM

Whats the bill you have with the WG? stamps?

-------------------------
Collector:
Currency - 1928-1929-1934 Series Stars All Denom. - 100 of ~846
Lincoln Cent Varieties
Baseball cards: Kirby Puckett

Bottom

cars
Expert Collector

Monday July 13, 2009 3:08 PM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

I also have a pocket piece with a teller stamp I'd like to have removed. I don't think you're going to get any help here on how to do it. Email one of the eBay note doctors and ask them lol.

Its all relative

Bottom

boimre1972
Expert Collector

Monday July 13, 2009 3:09 PM

I would appreciate this info too. I have two consecutive $100 notes that book for quite a lot, but have small purple bank teller stamps on the back.

Mike in Kentucky
Collecting small-size key star notes.
And a collector of Phoenix Hotel (Lex KY) memorabilia & a fan of Sci Fi

Bottom

TheNoost

Monday July 13, 2009 3:14 PM

ATM I have no where's geoge stamped bills, but I do have a few "I got this in Hell Michigan" $2 bills. All common 76 and newer, no stars/cool serials. I ahve heard acetone works, but it didn't work in the form of nail polish remover. Hopefully someone will PM me if they are too afraid to post it here.

Bottom

racecap97
Collector

Monday July 13, 2009 9:31 PM

Yes someone please help this guy learn how to clean notes. If you also wouldn't mind, could someone let him know how to properly press them as well. Actually someone should do a great big write up on how to completely process notes according to what different problems we see frequently. Then it should be stickied to the top of the forum page so EVERYONE can learn how to do it.

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR INTERESTING HAWAII NOTES. CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR A $1 HAWAII YB BLOCK NOTE IN GEM 67 OR 68.

Bottom

cars
Expert Collector

Monday July 13, 2009 9:33 PM

I knew that was coming...Noone flamed Smitty's when he showed the notes he cleaned. Actually he was praised for doing such a great job.

Its all relative

Bottom

racecap97
Collector

Monday July 13, 2009 9:47 PM

I was serious!!!

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR INTERESTING HAWAII NOTES. CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR A $1 HAWAII YB BLOCK NOTE IN GEM 67 OR 68.

Bottom

Master Collector

Monday July 13, 2009 9:50 PM

Where's Nurit when you need him?

Nobody Pays More!
Trophy National Banknotes
redseals, brownbacks, statistical rarities, entire state and regional collections, first charters, no. #1 notes!
---------------------------------------------

Bottom

TheNoost

Monday July 13, 2009 10:23 PM

Here is what I started with

Bottom

TheNoost

Monday July 13, 2009 10:26 PM

Pic 2 is 5 cups of 140 degree water with 1 tab of efferdent for 15 mins. Flipping once
Pic 3 is a second treatment with 2 tabs in 6 cups of 140 degree water for 20 mins flipping once.

Bottom

TheNoost

Monday July 13, 2009 10:28 PM

The note is now somewhat crisper but the A and 4 of the upper right serial # have started to bleach out. I feel this could have been avoided by moving the note during the soak or circulating the water. The bleaching occured where the bubbles constantly hit on the note. (edited to add) the inked 6 was written with a very heavy hand.

Edited: Monday July 13, 2009 at 10:43 PM by TheNoost

Bottom

TheNoost

Tuesday July 14, 2009 9:28 PM

I tried toothpaste on another note. Let it dry, then washed it off. No change. I'm gonna talk to a drycleaner soon and see what they do with shirts.

Bottom

RenoTommy
Expert Collector

Tuesday July 14, 2009 10:05 PM

<< Yes someone please help this guy learn how to clean notes. If you also wouldn't mind, could someone let him know how to properly press them as well. Actually someone should do a great big write up on how to completely process notes according to what different problems we see frequently. Then it should be stickied to the top of the forum page so EVERYONE can learn how to do it. >>

***************************************************************************************************************

This forum should have a separate section called, "Note Clinic" for information on how to "doctor up" currency.

Bottom

Andres
Expert Collector

Wednesday July 15, 2009 1:53 AM

This how David Bowman & David Sundman think about ""doctoring"" notes.
(from 100 greatest American currency notes - Whitman publishing)

collector of Indonesian-Dutch-and US paper money & Shipwreck coins

Bottom

tryppyr
Collector

Wednesday July 15, 2009 7:41 AM

Personally, I think the question is a bit silly at its face. Noost wants to know how to remove ink from a note. The note is really nothing more than paper with ink on it to begin with. Unless you know a good deal about chemistry and the specific chemistry of the ink you wish to remove (as well as the ink you wish to leave behind), any attempt to remove one type of ink will very likely be able to remove or damage all kinds of ink (including the ink applied by the BEP when printing the note).

Moreover, if you attempt to use spot cleaning methods you will end up with a note that has a very clean spot in a less clean field... something very easily spotted (pardon the pun) by anyone grading the note.

Now if you happen to be an expert on ink chemsitry and you know of a reagent that works only on the type of ink used in stamp pads, but has no effect on ink used in the printing process... well that might be very useful information to have. But something tells me such information isn't likely to be floating around in the collecting community with any degree of freedom.

- Greg

Interested in obsoletes? Visit http://brokenbanknotes.com

Bottom

TheNoost

Wednesday July 15, 2009 8:47 PM

Well, as a doctor (LOL) we try to use the least invasive medicine and go up from there. The type of ink doesn't really matter at this stage of my education. If some of the things a I try work to any extent, I am pleased. As I learn, I will be able to judge more accurately which technique to use for different problems. If anyone else has more ideas, please let me know. I'll try them. One does not become an expert by making assumptions without applying the techniques.

Bottom

cars
Expert Collector

Wednesday July 15, 2009 8:50 PM

I've heard Oxyclean works well although I'm not certain of the method used to clean IE Soak, scrub ect.

Its all relative

Bottom

TheNoost

Wednesday July 15, 2009 8:53 PM

Thank you cars. I think i will first try putting water only on the inked area and then applying the oxyclean. Or maybe I'll try a paste applied with a toothpick. Will post results as soon as I find some oxyclean.

Bottom

Andres
Expert Collector

Thursday July 16, 2009 12:45 AM

collector of Indonesian-Dutch-and US paper money & Shipwreck coins

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
FORUMS > U.S. & WORLD CURRENCY FORUM [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.