Quick Links:   Pop Report | Set Registry | Cert Verification | Collectors Club | Grading Standards | Show Schedule

Navigation:

FORUMS > U.S. & WORLD CURRENCY FORUM [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: Another Example of CGA's Grossly Erroneous Grading
Created On Saturday June 18, 2005 6:17 PM
Pages: [ << 1 2 3 >> Previous Next ]

wjd283
Expert Collector

Monday June 20, 2005 10:27 PM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

I was prety sure DL was one of the good guys.

Bottom

gnat
Expert Collector

Monday June 20, 2005 11:10 PM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

Dear Mr. Lipka: Thanks for what I am sure are heartfelt words, but just as you, most of us love this hobby, want our loved ones to be proud of us and try to have successful careers.

But to the point, why are so many processed notes getting slabbed by CGA at grades they certainly are not? Don't you and Pat consult Martin Gengerke's census, read auction catalogs, and have the experience necessary to determine if a note has been fooled with?

You are a fixture at almost every major auction, are one of the largest consignors to (and purchasers at) many major auctions and, as you proclaim, are considered one of the leading experts in National Currency. So what gives?

No one suggested that you personally process notes. But without any question a large number of processed notes are ending up in CGA holders graded as though they were the "real thing."

Edited: Monday February 13, 2006 at 3:01 PM by gnat

Bottom

GopherNationals
Veteran

Tuesday June 21, 2005 8:57 AM

Here is another suspect. This note is in Don Kelly's census as an AU. It looks like a nice note from a distance. I would have to see it up close to make a determination.

Woodstock Ill

Bottom

IllinoisBoy
Expert Collector

Tuesday June 21, 2005 10:18 AM

Mr. Lipka took the opportunity to attack the messenger and not the message. Gnats unfortunate use of the words " federal indictment " actually brought him to the discussion, but he responded by defending his honor and integrity instead of answering the very real questions concerning his companies grading. By doing so, he was able to remove himself from the discussion as quickly as he entered it, without really saying anything, except that he wouldn't discuss it again. Too bad, I would like to hear his side of the debate.

-------------------------
Small town retailer- small town collector
Looking for Illinois Nationals from Whiteside, Henry and Carroll Counties- especially 1st and 2nd Charters

Mark

Bottom

vcavo
Veteran

Tuesday June 21, 2005 10:37 AM

http://www.bright.net/~vcavo/marshall.jpg

www.papermoneyassure.com

Edited: Tuesday June 21, 2005 at 10:47 AM by vcavo

Bottom

paperpusher

Tuesday June 21, 2005 10:43 AM

Bottom

FRNAllStar
Veteran

Tuesday June 21, 2005 11:59 AM

Do you guys think there may be a chance these bills may have been expertly doctored. To turn an AU bill into Gem, well words cannot describe how experts can make this decision, knowing there reputation is connected to this transaction. I would arrive to a conclusion that some form of corruption is involved in this equation.

What I'm trying to say is that These notes may not be overgraded by CGA on purpose. CGA has just been tricked by a processed note.

It seems some notes are perfect canidates for processing.

It seems these notes have been slabbed, cut, processed, then resubmitted to a company that doesn't guard are recognize this kind of fraud.

Edited: Tuesday June 21, 2005 at 12:10 PM by FRNAllStar

Bottom

paperpusher

Tuesday June 21, 2005 1:22 PM

Bottom

IllinoisBoy
Expert Collector

Tuesday June 21, 2005 1:24 PM

Mr. Lipka, by self-admission, has been collecting since a teenager. He is one of the most respected buyers,sellers and collectors of rare currency. He has handled more notes than you probably ever will. He's not going to miss a doctored note.

Looking for Illinois Nationals from Whiteside, Henry and Carroll Counties- especially 1st and 2nd Charters

Mark

Bottom

FRNAllStar
Veteran

Tuesday June 21, 2005 2:06 PM

So Are you replying to my post? If so well here is my response.

"Mr. Lipka, by self-admission, has been collecting since a teenager. He is one of the most respected buyers,sellers and collectors of rare currency. He has handled more notes than you probably ever will. He's not going to miss a doctored note. "

So he's not going to miss a doctored note. He is going to notice it and knowingly grade it as a gem. Well I thought corruption in my point of view was on the other side of the fence, The person who doctors the note. According to you, this is wrong. I'd rather be stupid than fully responsible for bad morals. How do you know he cannot miss a processed note. Where is your proof. I see proof he can. Or that he can't and is knowingly raising the grade. Where is the motive for something like this. I'd think someone is making purchasing and sales from a 3rd person ghost account or acquaintance. Otherwise your commiting reputation suicide.

If your trying to defend Mr. Lipka, you have failed. I think Hhim and C.G.A. are garbage! Due to Gnat's stated proof. PROOF!

Keep the gravy train coming gnat. Nothing wrong with the truth....for most people.

Here is an analogy!
Anyone here ever heard of Enron? You know with those accountants who have handled more statements of cash-flow than I ever will. Also they will never miss an accounting mistake. How do I know....self admission by these accountants that they have been accounting since teenagers. (do you know how stupid that sounds.)

Thanks!

Bottom

FRNAllStar
Veteran

Tuesday June 21, 2005 2:31 PM

"I am a competitive businessman and the price of success (as told me in Memphis by Zollie Kelman) is jealousy"

I disagree 08822

The price of success is sacrifice. Your own sacrifice, or the sacrifices of others. jealousy comes with the territory.

Bottom

IllinoisBoy
Expert Collector

Tuesday June 21, 2005 2:55 PM

<< So Are you replying to my post? If so well here is my response. >>

yes, i was replying to your post.

<< Mr.Lipka, by self-admission, has been collecting since a teenager. He is one of the most respected buyers,sellers and collectors of rare currency. He has handled more notes than you probably ever will. He's not going to miss a doctored note. "

So he's not going to miss a doctored note. He is going to notice it and knowingly grade it as a gem. Well I thought corruption in my point of view was on the other side of the fence, The person who doctors the note. According to you, this is wrong. I'd rather be stupid than fully responsible for bad morals. How do you know he cannot miss a processed note. Where is your proof. I see proof he can. Or that he can't and is knowingly raising the grade. Where is the motive for something like this. I'd think someone is making purchasing and sales from a 3rd person ghost account or acquaintance. Otherwise your commiting reputation suicide.
>>

I am not committing reputation suicide. I too would like to know why there is a doctored note in a CGA Gem holder. This is what we are debating and why we are asking one of the owners of CGA to respond.

<< If your trying to defend Mr. Lipka, you have failed. I think Hhim and C.G.A. are garbage! Due to Gnat's stated proof. PROOF! >>

I am not defending Mr. Lipka, I want him to defend himself.

<< Keep the gravy train coming gnat. Nothing wrong with the truth....for most people.

Here is an analogy!
Anyone here ever heard of Enron? You know with those accountants who have handled more statements of cash-flow than I ever will. Also they will never miss an accounting mistake. How do I know....self admission by these accountants that they have been accounting since teenagers. (do you know how stupid that sounds.)

Thanks!
>>

You need a better understanding of the english language before you call someone else stupid. Next time ask for clarification on a point before resorting to namecalling. You have now managed to make this thread about you instead of Mr. Lipka's grading.

edited for improper quotes

Mark

Edited: Tuesday June 21, 2005 at 2:57 PM by IllinoisBoy

Bottom

FRNAllStar
Veteran

Tuesday June 21, 2005 3:05 PM

OH-kay yu R knot defending MR lipka>

Me dont understand english.

Whuteva you say. My thread now!

Bottom

alfalfa
Collector

Tuesday June 21, 2005 3:13 PM

FRNAllstar, you're new to the boards, and an obvious newcomer to the hobby. Do you know gnat or JL personally? Do you have experience with CGA or the expertise required to spot a doctored note? If not, you shouldn't bad mouth people and companies that you know relatively little about simply because people on a forum (who you also know little about) are criticising them.

RJ

http://currencyforums.net/

Bottom

FRNAllStar
Veteran

Tuesday June 21, 2005 3:23 PM

tell yourself the same thing when criticizing a fellow board member.

"you shouldn't bad mouth people and companies that you know relatively little about simply because people on a forum (who you also know little about) are criticising them."

your quote alfalfa!

Bottom

FRNAllStar
Veteran

Tuesday June 21, 2005 3:32 PM

So i'm crazy when I say C.G.A. is garbage. NO. It's my opinion. So don't try an attack my crudentials. Im not the one manipulating or being manipulated(C.G.A.). Either way you look at it. This hurts the hobby.

Bottom

johnjinx
Collector

Tuesday June 21, 2005 3:50 PM

FRN, most people here is anti-CGA so that is not really the issue here. What the problem here is that you are very defensive. We are all here to post and share our opinions but there is really no need to get upset or to attack another poster. Lighten up on your posts and I'm sure people will respond in kind.

Bottom

TennesseeNationals
Expert Collector

Tuesday June 21, 2005 4:28 PM

"Crudentials"?

Buying Tennessee, southern National Bank Notes, large hype (I mean type) and now, grudgingly, coins.

Small-time dealer in our country's legal tender.

Never be haughty to the humble, or humble to the haughty.--- Jefferson Davis

Bottom

FRNAllStar
Veteran

Tuesday June 21, 2005 4:37 PM

credentials!

Bottom

GopherNationals
Veteran

Tuesday June 21, 2005 4:37 PM

Dirty dentures?

Bottom

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 >> Previous Next ]
FORUMS > U.S. & WORLD CURRENCY FORUM [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.