Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How often have you opened a pack previously deemed tampered with that probably wasn't (i.e big card

Just wondering what most of you do with packs that have been returned ungraded because of questionable authenticity. Have you ever had any big scores from those packs? Or have you sold them noting they were deemed to have been opened already? Just curious as I have a few good packs from reliable sellers that came back ungraded. Thanks, Tom

p.s. I hope I didn't start any trouble with this.

Comments

• I opened a few of the packs for the card on top and the rest I'll leave like they are. IMO selling the pack can very well lead to someone really being taken advantage of. For instance you have an 81' Topps Football Cello Pack with Montana on top that came back "Altered" or "Questionable" and you list it as such and it sells for $50. The buyer may then sell the same pack for $300 and say they had this pack since 1981 and the new buyer sends it out to PSA only to be disappointed!
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I opened a few of the packs for the card on top and the rest I'll leave like they are. IMO selling the pack can very well lead to someone really being taken advantage of. For instance you have an 81' Topps Football Cello Pack with Montana on top that came back "Altered" or "Questionable" and you list it as such and sells for $50. The buyer may then sells the same pack for $300 and say the had this pack since 1981 and the new buyer send it out to PSA only to be disappointed! >>

This scenario is why I don't resell packs that have been deemed no good by authenticators. You may list the item with full disclosure but this does not mean that your buyer will when he goes to sell. Then the bad pack or box is back on the market to another unsuspecting collector. Just about your only recourse is to go ahead and rip the product and hope for something good to come out of it.
    Steve
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I didn't really take into account any further salesimage What about my question of anyone having luck with one of those packs?
  • milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I never sent a pack for grading but I did buy a 1980 cello pack off ebay once. The pack came and the cello was very loose and the seal on the reverse was coming apart. I opened it and three cards from the bottom was a Henderson rookie. Sent it to PSA and got a 9! Very Happy................
    Robert
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I bought a half dozen 1972 football packs from a seller on ebay. They look good on the scans but they were resealed. I could not get a refund so I ripped 'em. Not a star in the lot as expected but the seller did put in some super gem commons. I got a Pop 1 PSA 10 of Dave Williams from the pack. Sold for $350 which paid for all of the packs. Got lucky there but besides this hit I got a few 9's which were low pops at the time.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Bought a pack of 1984 OPC Hockey that the top of the pack was torn pretty bad. Not really a situation where the pack was deemed questionable, it was a reputable source, but it had a nice Yzerman rookie inside.
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the late 1980's, I bought a 1972 Topps baseball high number pack. I was pretty ticked off that the seal was completely opened but decided to look inside before returning the pack. One of the cards was Rod Carew so I guess the pack wasn't searched. I still have that card (PSA 8 OC) but I don't know what happened to the rest of the pack as I don't have nine or so pristine 1972's in the house.
    Daniel
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    At the National I bought a 76FB pack for $50, from someone I'd previously purchased from with no issue. I took it to Steve for a quick review and while he said he had some concerns regarding the flaps and roller marks, and wouldn't have passed it if going to PSA, he thought it was probably OK. For the price, I figured WTH and when I got back to the hotel, I ripped it. The gum card was a Payton RC, but the gum had been covering the name and number so it couldn't be seen. Aside from the gum stain and a corner touch, it was otherwise pretty close to perfect. Also got a nice Too Tall RC in the same pack. Both will be off to PSA in the coming weeks.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.